Fanball's Rick Hawes Will Be Here To Chat At 2 p.m. EST

Rick Hawes

Post by Rick Hawes » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:50 am

Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
Rick, I like Miles Austin a lot. Maybe more than Kim Kardashian does - in a fantasy football way of course. Am I right to like him as much as I do. Will Dez Bryant hinder him or help him in terms of allowing Austin to see more single coverage? As for the KK reference, I'm sincerely glad you added the "in a fantasy football way of course" caveat.

I think it's normal to have reservations about any player who suddenly makes a quantum leap in statistical output from one season to the next. However, it seems pretty clear to me that Miles Austin and Tony Romo have established pretty solid chemistry. Over the final 14 games (including the playoffs) of the 2009 season, Austin compiled four or more receptions in all but one game and scored nine touchdowns. In PPR leagues from Weeks 5-16, only Wes Welker bettered him in the fantasy wide receiver rankings.

The thing I like most about him? Even though he working under a one-year, $3.1 million contact, he's not sitting on the couch at home pouting like Vincent Jackson in San Diego. From all accounts, he has been working his butt off during the offseason program and training camp to improve his game. I also think Dez Bryant would have carried his pads had he been the one who asked him to do it.

As for Bryant, it's hard to say what type of impact he's going to have, as he's been hindered by injuries in the offseason program and training camp. High ankle sprains can be tricky, and I'm really wondering what type of "football shape" he will be in when he gets back on the field. Especially after essentially missing his entire senior season in college due to his dealings with Deion Sanders.

[ August 04, 2010, 04:10 PM: Message edited by: Rick Hawes ]
NFL Content Manager
ownersedge.fanball.com

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:51 am

Rick, were any of the injuries from the last couple of days of pre-season camps serious enough to be concerned with? Maclin? What about Moreno? Nicks? Pierre Thomas? Geez, they were going down.

[ August 04, 2010, 01:52 PM: Message edited by: Greg Ambrosius ]
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Rick Hawes

Post by Rick Hawes » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:04 am

Originally posted by FAST MONEY:
Hi Rick,

How about your take on the Lions Fantasy options. Stafford, Best, Johnson, Burleson, Sheffler....

Also, how about your preferred KDS order in a 14 team 3RR league and why?

Thanks. I really like what the Lions have accomplished over the past couple of seasons, and despite the fact that I think Ford Field is built on an ancient burial ground, I think they are an up-and-coming organization.

I know Tom Kessenich is VERY high on Matthew Stafford, but I think he's a year away from being a No.1 fantasy quarterback.

Some scouts thought Jahvid Best was the best (no pun intended) running back in the 2010 class. From what I'm hearing out of Detroit, the Lions would like to feature one back this season, and Best has been very impressive during the offseason program and training camp. In current 14-round mocks, Best is falling off the board in the mid-fourth round as the 23rd back selected. I actually think he provides some value in that slot.

Megatron has all the skills in the world, but he still has to prove he can stack back-to-back elite level seasons. I feel if Stafford can stay healthy and raise the level of is game, Johnson can get raise his yardage and touchdown output in 2010, especially with Burleson on the opposite side. Speaking of Burleson, I consider him a decent sleeper candidate given that CJ will be doubled on every down.

The tight end situation doesn't excite me much, as Brandon Pettigrew and Tony Scheffler could cancel each other out. I don't consider either much more than a No. 2 option, but Scheffler does have upside if the team utilizes him in the passing game to create mismatches.

As for KDS options, I have to be up front and let you know I've never participated in the NFFC contest, but I would like to be in the middle or in the 12th spot. In the middle, I'm less susceptible to positional runs, and in the 12 hole I get three of the top-25 players.

Good luck in the NFFC!

P.S. I also really like what the Lions are doing on the defensive side of the ball. On paper, their front seven is improved, but I still have questions about their secondary.
NFL Content Manager
ownersedge.fanball.com

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:14 am

Rick, if you had to pick one player to finish No. 1 among RBs other than Johnson, Peterson, MJD and Rice who would it be and why?
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Rick Hawes

Post by Rick Hawes » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:15 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
Rick, were any of the injuries from the last couple of days of pre-season camps serious enough to be concerned with? Maclin? What about Moreno? Nicks? Pierre Thomas? Geez, they were going down. 1. Jeremy Maclin - "Day-to-day" with a bone bruise, which can be a very painful injury. However, he should be back on the practice field by the weekend.

2. DeSean Jackson - Suffered a lower back strain last weekend and should be back practicing in a few days. Neither of the Eagles' receiver injuries appear to be serious in nature.

3. Hakeem Nicks - Early reports are a hyperextended knee, and he underwent an MRI evaluation that determined it wasn't a serious injury. Nicks could be back on the practice field as early as Thursday or Friday.

4. Pierre Thomas - Suffered a wrist injury in practice, and had X-rays that came back negative. Pierre should be back at practice in a few days, but these nagging injuries have hindered him for his entire career and kept him from becoming a feature back. Given that Reggie Bush is also an injury risk, I really like Lynell Hamilton as an endgame flyer, especially in basic-scoring formats.

5. Knowshon Moreno - Suffered a strained hamstring earlier this week and is expected back sometime during the third week in August. This is probably the most concerning injury on the list, as he also battled groin and ankle injuries during his rookie campaign. Right now he's slated to return for the Broncos' second preseason tilt, but look for the team to ease him back in given the lack of quality options behind him on the depth chart.

[ August 04, 2010, 04:13 PM: Message edited by: Rick Hawes ]
NFL Content Manager
ownersedge.fanball.com

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:20 am

Rick, your underachievers in the last issue of Fanball Annual were:

Matt Schaub
Kevin Kolb
Steven Jackson
Shonn Greene
Ryan Mathews
DeSean Jackson
Sidney Rice

Damn. What's up with those?? Can you explain.

[ August 04, 2010, 02:20 PM: Message edited by: Greg Ambrosius ]
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship

Rick Hawes

Post by Rick Hawes » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:24 am

Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
Rick, if you had to pick one player to finish No. 1 among RBs other than Johnson, Peterson, MJD and Rice who would it be and why? I like Frank Gore if he can navigate the the entire 16-game slate, something he has managed only once during his five-year career.

I loved what the 49ers did with their two first round picks, as San Francisco ranked fourth in total defense last year, and their biggest need on that side of the ball was probably at cornerback or safety.

Instead, they bolstered the offensive line by aggressively moving up to the 11 hole for Rutgers offensive tackle Anthony Davis, and then doubled down in the trenches with the Mike Iupati selection at 17th overall, solidifying the O-line. Also in 2010, the 49ers face 13 run defenses that ranked 15th or worse last season.

This is obviously good news for all the 49ers’ skill position players, especially Gore, who I feel could have his best season since 2006.

[ August 04, 2010, 04:15 PM: Message edited by: Rick Hawes ]
NFL Content Manager
ownersedge.fanball.com

Rick Hawes

Post by Rick Hawes » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:44 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
Rick, your underachievers in the last issue of Fanball Annual were:

Matt Schaub
Kevin Kolb
Steven Jackson
Shonn Greene
Ryan Mathews
DeSean Jackson
Sidney Rice

Damn. What's up with those?? Can you explain. 1. Matt Schaub - Obviously he is a very talented quarterback, but he's missed 11 games due to various injuries in the last three seasons. IMO, if you draft him at his current ADP (4.06, QB6) in 14-team leagues, then I think you have to take a quality backup to cover in case he gets hurt again.

2. Kevin Kolb - As I mentioned earlier, I feel Kolb is a borderline starter in 12-team leagues, but he only has 2 NFL starts and the fanbase in Philly can be brutal if things start going bad. My prediction of him underachieving is based on his ADP, which I feel is currently inflated for an unproven player.

3. Steven Jackson - Has all the skills you want out of a bell-cow back, but too many question marks surrounding him. First off, he has missed nine games over the past three years due to various injuries, and underwent back surgery to repair a herniated disc during the offseason. Next, he has a rookie quarterback under center, an average (at best) offensive line, and no wide receivers or tight ends to alleviate the eight-man fronts he will face on a regular basis. The final nail in the coffin is the fact that he's scored 14 touchdowns in the last three years combined. In 12-team leagues, he is being selected at 1.09 as the seventh running back off the board. I love the fact that S-Jacks is a class act and I appreciate his skill set, but I need more trips to the end zone and durability out of my first-round pick. Bottom line: Jackson is planted directly on my "DO NOT DRAFT" list, unless he falls like a rock (not likely) and becomes an extreme value.

4. Shonn Greene - Another guy I like, but he missed time last year in the preseason with a rib injury and also some playoff action with another rib ailment. He is being drafted awfully high based on 108 career carries. Also, he adds NOTHING in the passing game, and while I completely understand that LT has lost two or three steps, he is still a decent receiver and can find creases at the stripe.

5. Ryan Mathews - To be fair, at the time I wrote that article, Mathews wasn't signed, sealed and delivered. A holdout wasn't out of the question, and rookies are like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're going to get, and Mathews is going awfully high in mock drafts. Since that time, there have been rumors that Mike Tolbert could steal some work tat the stripe and we already know that Darren Sproles is going to be heavily utilized on third downs, as he has averaged 10.1 yards on 87 career receptions and caught 45 balls last year. Throw in the absence of left tackle Marcus McNeill and there are a few reasons for concern.

6. DeSean Jackson- Possible downgrade at quarterback with less arm strength, and I just can't see him replicating all those splash plays in 2010.

7. Sidney Rice - As I talked about earlier with Miles Austin, there are always some doubts anytime a player takes a massive leap in statistical production. Throw in the hip injury as well as the "possibility" that Favre could retire, and I can't seem him matching last year's digits. Even if Favre returns, I'm far from convinced that the soon-to-be 41-year-old quarterback can replicate last year's storybook season.

[ August 04, 2010, 04:17 PM: Message edited by: Rick Hawes ]
NFL Content Manager
ownersedge.fanball.com

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:46 am

Bucs skill players get no respect (ok, maybe Winslow). Ironically, they seem like the Pittsburgh Pirates of football. Could any RB or WR emerge as a solid #2 at their position, or do early drafters have guys properly pegged.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:46 am

Awesome Rick. Thanks for joining us today. If anyone has any other questions, they can post here and Rick will be around from time to time to answer those questions. Thanks for the time man and stay well. Remember, you are now as old as me!! :D