Silver Bullet payout......revolutionary???

Greg Ambrosius

Re: Silver Bullet payout......revolutionary???

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:50 pm

Route C wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:29 pm
This IMO is an easy thing to solve. It's obvious the players who have chimed in and Greg are on the same page. We all want to reward points the most while also putting the best teams in the playoff round. Does that sound right?
In the classic...primetime etc if the team with most points doesn't win H2H then those 2 teams get the same $$$ and battle it out in a 3 week shootout for the rest of the 1st place $$$.
Here's what I propose. Keep all of that the same with one exception. Reward high points based on 16 weeks. No reset in league battles. That's so unfair for a team to build a lead that takes 13 weeks only to have a chance to lose in a 3 week shootout because of a reset. That's fine for the overall championship round but let's change it so that a team that accumulates the most points over 16 weeks gets the most league $$$.
Does that solve the dilemma of rewarding the most deserving teams. Tell me if I'm missing something. This sounds like a good plan.
That's one option. But the current setup already rewards the most points after Week 13. It's third place and h2h we need to solve here.

In the NFFC Primetime this year we have 50 of 52 h2h champions being in the Top 3 in points. Remember, that's with h2h being the first criteria of a playoff spot. Yes, one team got lucky from the 5th most points spot and another one somehow had best h2h record while posting the 9th most points in that league. But for the most part, that playoff formula sure does work!! ;)

I think the desire from many who helped create this league was to reward most points after Week 13 and be done with it. But we HAVE to make sure the third place spot is more representative of the best teams in that league. So we haven't solved that third place qualifier yet and that's the most important thing to me.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:44 pm

If the NFFC is basically a total points contest then wouldn't it make sense to sort the standings by points instead of record? I spent a lot of time Monday night trying to figure out where I was making the playoffs and where I missed out. It just might be a thought to offer standings by points as well as record.

Wayne

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:46 pm

Coltsfan wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:44 pm
If the NFFC is basically a total points contest then wouldn't it make sense to sort the standings by points instead of record? I spent a lot of time Monday night trying to figure out where I was making the playoffs and where I missed out. It just might be a thought to offer standings by points as well as record.

Wayne
Agree 100%!

ALthough one click of the button will put you into points, it would be nice if this was the default.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:59 pm

Coltsfan wrote:

Wayne
True Wayne. But you can easily click on the Points header and it will quickly sort by Points.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship

BigBlueNation

Post by BigBlueNation » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:21 pm

Even though it's probably a discussion for another day, I agree 100% with Jeff on the non-reset for league titles. It's a penalty to the best team, kinda like a caution flag in NASCAR at the end of the race. I've never been a fan of H2H, but I understand why we have it. Maybe offer both with the points leagues playing for the BIG $$$.

Good discussion
Bill Cleavenger
UK Wildcats...We don't rebuild, we "RELOAD"

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:24 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:59 pm
Coltsfan wrote:

Wayne
True Wayne. But you can easily click on the Points header and it will quickly sort by Points.
I completely missed that! Now that is much easier!

Wayne

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:34 pm

On a related note... with most contests allowing more teams into the overall playoffs via points than H2H, would you consider displaying league points rank on My Teams instead of (or in addition to) H2H?

I spend a fair amount of time bopping through my teams one by one, then clicking to sort on Points. It’d be great to have that all on one screen to scroll instead. Thank you.

Route C

Post by Route C » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:31 pm

This is an even simpler way. Teams qualify for playoffs as follows:
1) H2H
2) points
3) points
Just like Primetime and Classic.

Of the 3 qualifying teams league prizes are paid as follows

$4000 highest points
$2000 next highest points
$500 next highest points

This way we keep the H2H winner the same as we've always done yet we reward the highest scoring teams of the playoff qualifyers in the order of points scored. Is this doable? No resets or playoffs for leagues prizes in this structure.

BONGIZMO

Post by BONGIZMO » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:03 am

I like that, keeps the fun of H2H and they get a shot in the big money round but points get paid. Of course in some cases the third place points may complain I made money and didn't make the overall playoffs. :roll:
Never do card tricks for the people you play poker with.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:56 am

Route C wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:31 pm
This is an even simpler way. Teams qualify for playoffs as follows:
1) H2H
2) points
3) points
Just like Primetime and Classic.

Of the 3 qualifying teams league prizes are paid as follows

$4000 highest points
$2000 next highest points
$500 next highest points

This way we keep the H2H winner the same as we've always done yet we reward the highest scoring teams of the playoff qualifyers in the order of points scored. Is this doable? No resets or playoffs for leagues prizes in this structure.
The initial intent of the playoff format here was to end the regular season after 13 weeks, pay the highest point teams the most money and to limit the number of Championship Round teams.

I think this plan is a better format, with one addition. I think we should add the 15% Wild Card rule to make sure that good teams aren't left out of the Championship Round if they are in a loaded league. We didn't have that rule in place this year and two teams were left out of the Championship Round that would have been in there.

So the biggest question here is whether the third highest points team should be allowed into the Championship Round if it has more points than the h2h champion. If so, this would have added ELEVEN more teams. If not, we again leave out a possibly worthy team, but at least that team did get paid prize money ($500).

It's a worthy discussion. Thanks for the input here Jeff.