UFFC's top 12 RBs for 2008 (Pre draft)

Route Collectors

Post by Route Collectors » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:22 am

It's a good point about Taylors age and durability. I remember telling a friend in our local league who kept getting M.Faulk that "one year will be the year he drops off a cliff so buyer beware".

It happened the next year! I drafted C.Portis in his rookie season. I took him in the 5th round of a 12 teamer while he wasn't even the starter.
Crazy? 11 guys thought so until Portis took the bull by the horns around week 4 and never looked back....including a dominating 5 TD game :eek: in our playoffs.

Could this be the same kind of year for MJD...absolutely. Could Taylor refuse to fall off the cliff this season and make MJD a RB3 at best...absolutely.

Do I think the first..... or the second scenerio is more likely to happen?

Yes! :D

Man it's great to talk about football again!

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:33 am

2 words:

Marvin Harrison
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:35 am

Correction: Fred Taylor enters his 11th season this year.

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:19 am

Originally posted by ultimatefantasyfootballcheatsheets:
quote:Originally posted by Diesel:
For everyone who thinks Adrian Peterson is going to be the next best thing in fantasy football, please see LARRY JOHNSON as a reference.

No QB in Minny. Chester still there. AP is going to go way too high this coming year. I agree he's going to have a few monster games, but don't count on him for a full season of stats.

I know I'm EXTREMELY in the minority on this issue, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it. You guys can praise me or ridicule me when it all unfolds. Marc, ADP had 1600 combined yards and 13 TDs on a rising team, as a rookie, with a 1st year starting QB. Plus, he did this in 14 games! :eek: :eek: :eek:

What is not to like here? For me it was basically a coin flip for 1st overall between him and Jackson.
[/QUOTE]Again, my argument is SEE LARRY JOHNSON as a reference. Didn't everyone say he looked like a lock to break all sorts of records when Holmes lost the starting job due to injury? Now I see LJ barely making the first round list of RB's. AP? Top notch NUMBER 2 RB...

And as I said before, I KNOW I'm in the extreme minority here...I'm not usually one to say I told you so, but I'm going to have to when AP fails to meet his full season's expectations.

If I'm wrong here, I'll just delete all of these posts and pretend I never predicted such a thing...LMAO

[ April 02, 2008, 03:20 PM: Message edited by: Diesel ]
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:03 am

[If I'm wrong here, I'll just delete all of these posts and pretend I never predicted such a thing...LMAO [/QB][/quote]

:D :D :D

That is funny but I honestly think that the only way you can be right about this is if he is significantly injured this next year. The guy has unbelievable talent.

Wayne

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:11 am

Marc, Peterson scares the heck out of me. He's going to go Top 5 in all probability. I think that's a lock. And there's no question he has the talent to merit that pick and even a higher one. But two major issues concern me:

1. Taylor is still with the Vikings.

2. All Day was putrid to close out last season.

Childress clearly likes using Taylor - especially in the passing game. If you're going to be a Top 5 RB you need to either be an every-down player, score a massive amount of TDs or both. I'm not sure Peterson will be able to do that. He's a complete non-factor in the passing game and even though he's terrific near the goal line, he didn't get all the carries there last season (Jackson even vultured a few).

So I do think there's a very real possibility Peterson doesn't live up to his draft billing. His fade at the end of last season is something I still haven't forgotten (dude cost me a lot of money) and mainly it's because Childress kept using Taylor.

And I haven't even mentioned Peterson's running style which lends itself to potential injury.

I love the guy's talent but there are some real issues and real dangers with him.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:27 am

TK, that is the beauty of this game. ADP represents an explosive mix of risk/reward.

Drafting him 2nd overall could kill some teams. Getting him 5th still represents potential value.

Having Peterson 2nd overall means I like this to be where he finsihes up, not necessarily where I'd draft him.

I might want to mitigate some of the risk by taking another player in the same tier.

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:40 am

Steven Jackson has been in the NFL for quite a while.

Remove his strong 2nd half of 2006, and you will see him for what he is.

Solid, but far from the best in the league.

~Lance
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:31 pm

Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
Marc, Peterson scares the heck out of me. He's going to go Top 5 in all probability. I think that's a lock. And there's no question he has the talent to merit that pick and even a higher one. But two major issues concern me:

1. Taylor is still with the Vikings.

2. All Day was putrid to close out last season.

Childress clearly likes using Taylor - especially in the passing game. If you're going to be a Top 5 RB you need to either be an every-down player, score a massive amount of TDs or both. I'm not sure Peterson will be able to do that. He's a complete non-factor in the passing game and even though he's terrific near the goal line, he didn't get all the carries there last season (Jackson even vultured a few).

So I do think there's a very real possibility Peterson doesn't live up to his draft billing. His fade at the end of last season is something I still haven't forgotten (dude cost me a lot of money) and mainly it's because Childress kept using Taylor.

And I haven't even mentioned Peterson's running style which lends itself to potential injury.

I love the guy's talent but there are some real issues and real dangers with him. Tom, there's no question to the talent that Peterson posseses, but he did wear down, and Chester is still in the mix. These are solid reasons why I've been saying he's the best #2 RB in fantasy football(even as far back as Gekko's fantasy documentary in Atlantic City)...

IF AP stays healthy and IF AP doesn't lose touches to Chester and IF Gus Frerotte is the starter and the Vikings create a passing game, then this guy is a stud. But I can't afford to gamble with that many IF's in the first round. ESPECIALLY a top 5 pick.

I have no problems stating that I LOVE the fact that everyone is sold on him, because he will cost someone SERIOUS money in the auctions, and that will be money that I have no intention of spending. Mo' Money for me to throw around!

[ April 02, 2008, 06:33 PM: Message edited by: Diesel ]
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:04 pm

Originally posted by sportsbettingman:
Steven Jackson has been in the NFL for quite a while.

Remove his strong 2nd half of 2006, and you will see him for what he is.

Solid, but far from the best in the league.

~Lance 2004 Split carries with Marshall Faulk
2005 Split carries with Marshall Faulk
2006 Full season 346 carries, 91 catches, 16 TDs, 2340 combined yards :eek:

2007 Partial season 1274 combined yards and 6 TDs

Ended 2007 strong, and I guess I'll be the one high on him as of today.