NFFC Rules Proposals For 2012

TR

Post by TR » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:08 am

Originally posted by CoMoHusker:
Couple things...

1. I would like to see individual points awarded for players who score TD's on kick/punt returns. This would add value to players like Devin Hester.

2. INT's to go to minus two points. I realize that INT's aren't always the QB's fault but at the same time, they get credit for a TD on a screen pass where they may have only threw the ball a couple yards and the RB/WR did all the work in getting into the endzone. Matt Stafford had a four INT game against Chi this year and another three INT game against Green Bay where his fantasy points were still very good even though both of those efforts were horrible.

3. Shutouts to be 15 points and increase the points awarded for safeties. Both are so rare that your defense should be rewarded when those actually occur. Agree on all counts...shutouts should definitely be worth alot more since they are so rare

TR

Post by TR » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:12 am

Originally posted by Cocktails and Dreams:
-2 a pick just further widens the already wide gap with the 6 a TD. Would not like to see that at all. Many leagues have 4 pts per passing TD with -1 per pick...doesn't make sense to have the same -1 for 6 pt TDs...really not much of a penalty, especially the mediocre qbs that turn the ball over alot while continuing to chuck it for garbage stats

renman

Post by renman » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:02 am

1 - I have waffled back and forth on the PPR for RB's. I currently feel we should keep it how it is. I like how the .5 results in RB's value being harder to define. I like how it results in a number of different draft strategies. I also at times get frustrated with how a RB of lower quality can get 4 or 5 dump off passes when they were not an integral part of the game and score as much or more than a workhorse RB who grinded out 87 yards and no TD's and was a big part of the game.

2 - Instead of a 3rd team automatically making it in the Primetime, I would prefer to see the wild card percentage go up.

3 -Same question. I am in favor of raising the wild card % in both events. How many teams have made the championship round via the wild card over the last 2 years? I bet the number is very low.

4 - I would be in favor of a special teams player, who scores an actual TD in an NFL game, get fantasy scoring credit for it. Nothing is worse than watching your own player risking injury on a punt or kick return, then return it for a TD that actually hurts him because his offense just lost a possession. Dez Bryant, Percy Harvin, Devon Hester owners watch their players return kicks and hold their breath hoping that they will get tackled immediately and not hurt. It makes no sense to be rooting against your own player. They should get credit if they break one, along with the owner of that team/defense. I don't see why it is a problem.

5 - I would not be in favor of -2 for int's. I don't see how that really helps make our game better. I know there are occasional games where a QB has 3 int's and still runs up a big statistical game. Too many things factor into int's that are outside of the QB's control to penalize them more than a point in my opinion.

6 -yes, I like the current format where we reward the best h2h record and best total points and if different they playoff for the league title and some prize money. I am open to the idea of a couple other teams making the "playoffs" who can play off to get into the championship round (KOQ idea was good).

7- I think the team who finished 3rd in the league should be paid for third. At most I would say we use the same combo of h2h and total points to determine it. Maybe after the top two teams are identified we take the next highest h2h record and next highest total points earner and if different they play off for 3rd place money.

8- I don't play DC leagues.

9- I have no interest in draft positions until right before the draft. I personally would be fine getting them 5 minutes before the draft.

10- I might participate in other side events like described. It all comes down to what I can afford and how feasible I think the contest is.

Quahogs

Post by Quahogs » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:26 am

Originally posted by renman:
1 - I have waffled back and forth on the PPR for RB's. I currently feel we should keep it how it is. I like how the .5 results in RB's value being harder to define. I like how it results in a number of different draft strategies. I also at times get frustrated with how a RB of lower quality can get 4 or 5 dump off passes when they were not an integral part of the game and score as much or more than a workhorse RB who grinded out 87 yards and no TD's and was a big part of the game.

Good point James. I also agree with Riverdogs reasoning behind keeping it .5 for rbs. 1 PPR for RB is fun and I enjoy it in the 12 team leagues but the Classic is a different animal. More stately, less pinball-ish. Personally my favorite format so I hope it remains the same.

kentucky

Post by kentucky » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:45 am

This was brought up in an earlier thread. What about dong away with kickers, and making them part of your "Team Defense/Special Teams". I think this could change the approach to drafting those two cats. plus take the unfortunate luck of losing a kicker in the playoffs, ex. Cundiff this week. I'm one to have two kickers on my roster to prevent this from happening, unless they both break legs. But i would have absolutely no problem combining the two cats. We could always add another flex position to make it more interesting.
bill cleavenger
"BIG BLUE NATION" ... We don't rebuild, we reload!!!

Jersey Dawg

Post by Jersey Dawg » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:55 am

I'll voice this one more time... 3 points per field goal please. It's more than enough. Not sure how a field goal should be worth almost as much as a TD just because it's a long kick..

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:59 am

Originally posted by Jersey Dawg:
I'll voice this one more time... 3 points per field goal please. It's more than enough. Not sure how a field goal should be worth almost as much as a TD just because it's a long kick.. Sorry Pete... ;)
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:59 am

Originally posted by Thunder:
This was brought up in an earlier thread. What about dong away with kickers, and making them part of your "Team Defense/Special Teams". I think this could change the approach to drafting those two cats. plus take the unfortunate luck of losing a kicker in the playoffs, ex. Cundiff this week. I'm one to have two kickers on my roster to prevent this from happening, unless they both break legs. But i would have absolutely no problem combining the two cats. We could always add another flex position to make it more interesting. Oops, missed this one first. Sorry Thunder.... ;)
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Ted's Cracked Head

Post by Ted's Cracked Head » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:23 am

Would anyone be against a "Team Kicker" slot instead of the exact body, especially in the DC format? This position is not the same as the skill positions where we draft multiple players based on strategy and security, the kicker position is a throw away slot.

Note: I am also in favor of combining the K/TDEF positions into one. A good defense creates field position which in turn creates FG opps. Adding those two scores together could make this position more relevant in the fantasy game and add another real layer of draft strategy.

It would also open up one more flex position which again, adds to the skill of playing FF.

If they were combined, I would do as Pete says and make a FG worth 3 points regardless of where the kick comes from. I think we only add bonus points for longer kicks to try and reward/separate the kickers which makes them a little more viable as fantasy draft picks.

You would also be able to go to the "Team Kicker" concept if these two positions were combined.

I would also make flex positions open to all positions in this format. 6pts per TD is unique and allowing QBs to be flexed would add to the strategy as well as give players more bye week options.
My mama says she loves me but she could be jiving too! BB King

renman

Post by renman » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:55 am

I too would be in favor of a K/TDEF combo.

Another thing that I remember brought up in the past.

As it relate to scoring vs a defense. Is there a way to not include scores that occur when the offense has an INT or fumble returned for a TD?

It never seemed fair to have your defense be pitching a shutout and lose that shutout (and the fantasy points that come with it) when the offense has a returned INT ruin the shutout.

I have seen this discussed before but cannot recall where that discussion went.