How Many Lost Because...

Glenneration X

How Many Lost Because...

Post by Glenneration X » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:29 pm

I too can understand being aggravated about the Kaeding and Hartley losses (both affected me for different teams), but those who drafted Buehler as their only kicker took fate into their own hands.

Knowing I was only going to draft one kicker, Buehler was on my no-draft list as a player in a battle for his job. It's been known that he had to beat out Bailey since July. Anyone who drafted him as their only kicker after that point had to know they were taking a 50/50 risk.

Still, I would agree that a waiver period just prior to the first game hurts noone and would probably be a benefit.

Route Collectors

How Many Lost Because...

Post by Route Collectors » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:29 pm

Originally posted by mattjb:
quote:Originally posted by Route C:
That's a bad example. Your QB's getting injured in a walk through are a lot less than the final pre-season game.
Honestly this is the type of discussion that keeps me off the boards.
A couple of guys who have legit concerns because of early injuries try to talk about it...get the wagging finger school marm lecture on how they should've known better. Seriously....I guess we just don't have the right crystal ball!
Remember this though...no one is exempt from needing the occasional FF frustration vent so it's always better to show a little compassion...especially on the MB. Just my $.02 we;re discussing it. just because i don't agree with you you throw in "this is the type of discussion that keeps me off the boards" which is somewhat ridiculous. injuries are part of the game - if you draft a position without a back up you are taking a calculated risk - if that risk backfires you want a rule change?
[/QUOTE]I'm happy to discuss it. You just haven't made any good points about why it hurts our game.
I haven't had a "backfire" so I want nothing here for my benefit.
The earlier we have FAAB the more it benefits everyone IMO. If you think there are no benefits to everyone feel free to state it. BTW.."tough crap" isn't really a discussion in case you wondered. ;)

joetreff

How Many Lost Because...

Post by joetreff » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:49 pm

It hurts the game because the game is about risk, projections, projecting upside and managing your roster. The people who do it the best have the best chances of winning. People who do it poorly can't just get extra waiver periods because their guys got hurt.

mattjb

How Many Lost Because...

Post by mattjb » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:53 pm

sorry i'm just off the opinion that you take away some of the skill of the drafting part of our game if you do that.

SS

How Many Lost Because...

Post by SS » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:42 pm

Good discussion. I've been thinking about this for a few years now and I think there should be some way to adjust your roster but not in a way that takes away from the FAAB bidding process during the season. Maybe each team is allowed 2 "free" picks to make before the season starts, but you would still have to drop 2 players.

I still think having the Classic and Primetime for 2 consecutive weeks gives the advantage to the second week drafters because of the obvious reasons...
2010 NFFC Classic Consolation Bracket 2nd Place

Route Collectors

How Many Lost Because...

Post by Route Collectors » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:51 pm

Originally posted by SS:

I still think having the Classic and Primetime for 2 consecutive weeks gives the advantage to the second week drafters because of the obvious reasons... Bingo!

CoMoHusker

How Many Lost Because...

Post by CoMoHusker » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:06 pm

Originally posted by Route C:
quote:Originally posted by SS:

I still think having the Classic and Primetime for 2 consecutive weeks gives the advantage to the second week drafters because of the obvious reasons... Bingo!
[/QUOTE]I'm not sure that the advantage is that significant. The big name players hardly play, if at all, in the final preseason game so the chance for injury is minimum. Most of the other first team players get a series of work.

There is the Thursday night opener to consider where injuries could occur before the weekend drafts but those same injury risks are present when all players lace them up on Sunday.

Just my two cents...
Go Big Red!

joetreff

How Many Lost Because...

Post by joetreff » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:26 pm

In fact the early drafters have the advantage...the value picks are more spread out and the ADP is less "perfect". Arian Foster was a 7th-9th round pick last year, then Tate got hurt, then Foster lit it up in preseason. I got him in 6 leagues in the 5th+ and by draft day he went in the early 3rd in NFFC and even the last pick of the 2nd...

The current Slowdraft top two teams are from Slow draft #1 and slow draft #2 which started in early August.

It is much easier to put up huge numbers (and huge stinkers) drafting early. So you take the late drafts and the tiny position battle/kicker injury advantages and I'll take the early drafts and get my value picks a few rounds later than you will.

Rog

How Many Lost Because...

Post by Rog » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:10 pm

take a second kicker or draft earnest grahman with my 20th pick ,I knew that blount is useless on 3rd down ,took a gamble at the bucs 3rd down back and not taking a second kicker.knowing that free agency doesnt start until after the 1st week.WIN OR LOSE I KNEW THIS WAS THE CHOICE I MADE.I started kaeding as my kicker and it didnt matter anyway.I feel as if no free agency until after the 1st week makes your draft choices that much harder