Will The NFL Go To An 18-Game Season In 2012?

BLACKHAND

Post by BLACKHAND » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:31 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
You know, after watching players falling like flies yesterday with injuries, you have to wonder if there is any way an 18-game season can actually happen. I know the owners think this is a done deal, but it's hard to believe that the Players Association can back this when they see their players suffering one injury after another.

And from a fan's standpoint, would an 18-game season be good for the game? Hey, I'd like to see two less pre-season games as much as anyone else because we're forced to pay for those tickets as season ticket holders. But I'm not sure 18 regular season games is going to help the product. Honestly, I think they'd almost have to go with two bye weeks with an 18-game season and then you're running the season into mid-February. Just crazy.

From an injury standpoint, does the owners' proposal make any sense anymore? Or am I just tainted about this after seeing 5 Packers land on the sidelines with injuries yesterday and their season basically derailed? the plan is for two bye weeks in a 18 game season. one thing for sure is the classic should have 21 rounds instead of 19. you will need more roster space with two bye weeks. plus 6 week injuries might only cost some players 4 games. crazy stuff.
THIS IS THE BUSINESS WE HAVE CHOSEN

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:53 am

Originally posted by Just Russ:
Greg, their season was derailed once they decided not to replace Grant with a NFL-caliber RB.

Back to your point, injuries happen every year. I think 2 BYEs are a necessity. They'll need to go to an expanded roster.

I think the real risk is at the QB position. I say put flags on them. :D No doubt Russ. I have no idea who the Packers are going to get in the fourth round of the draft next year, but one thing I am certain about: That pick won't lead the Packers to the Super Bowl THIS YEAR. I get so sick of Teddy Thompson holding onto those picks. I'm certain Lynch would have punched that in from the one foot line yesterday, putting the Packers comfortably ahead 14-0 in the second quarter. Just amazing.

I'm sick of McCarthy and Thompson telling us fans/owners that they are happy with their current backs and then not having enough confidence to give it to one of them at the 1-yard-line. That was pathetic and they know it. They can't win with Jackson and Kuhn in the backfield. It's amazing that they pissed this season away but not trading for Lynch.

I'm so mad at Thompson, as is the whole state. You should have heard the post-game radio show. The host actually couldn't take the Thompson bitching anymore, but defending Teddy is ridiculous. Packer fans expect to win now and they don't care about next year's fourth-round pick. Geez.

Please, don't start me here. I'm sick about that game yesterday and all of the injuries.

But everyone is right. Injuries have been plentiful for several years. So then why do the owners think that adding two more regular season games will help the product? It won't. It will just kill a lot of careers.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:58 am

Originally posted by THE_BLACKHAND:
quote:Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
You know, after watching players falling like flies yesterday with injuries, you have to wonder if there is any way an 18-game season can actually happen. I know the owners think this is a done deal, but it's hard to believe that the Players Association can back this when they see their players suffering one injury after another.

And from a fan's standpoint, would an 18-game season be good for the game? Hey, I'd like to see two less pre-season games as much as anyone else because we're forced to pay for those tickets as season ticket holders. But I'm not sure 18 regular season games is going to help the product. Honestly, I think they'd almost have to go with two bye weeks with an 18-game season and then you're running the season into mid-February. Just crazy.

From an injury standpoint, does the owners' proposal make any sense anymore? Or am I just tainted about this after seeing 5 Packers land on the sidelines with injuries yesterday and their season basically derailed? the plan is for two bye weeks in a 18 game season. one thing for sure is the classic should have 21 rounds instead of 19. you will need more roster space with two bye weeks. plus 6 week injuries might only cost some players 4 games. crazy stuff.
[/QUOTE]Yeah, let's see what the NFL does first. I agree, all of those byes would really mix things up for fantasy owners. All Play weeks would have to be part of the Classic equation. But let's not get ahead of ourselves. I think next year is in serious jeopardy as the owners are going to play hard ball big-time against the players to get what they want in the next contract. It's going to get ugly and this 18-game season demand is going to be part of the ugly negotiations.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

larry schechter

Post by larry schechter » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:39 pm

18 games means more revenue, so the players will approve the 18 games as long as they get their fair share of the extra revenue.
But I agree with Greg, next year could be in jeopardy.