Question for Tom and Greg, FFO

JerseyPaul

Post by JerseyPaul » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:17 am

I had my first FFOC draft last night. It was fun. Just think if you could assemble this kind of team here, lol. I can't imagine they will go through with this but I'll go along for the ride. Here's a neat team I asssembled:

QB: Brady/Garrard/Shaub (start 2)
RB: Bush/T. Jones
WR: Andre Johnson/Steve Smith/Kevin Curtis
TE: Cooley
D: Minn
K: Who cares

For backups I have the Hou running game and a bunch of very attractive players waiting for suspensions or injuries.

Raiders

Post by Raiders » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:19 am

Originally posted by JerseyPaul:
I had my first FFOC draft last night. It was fun. Just think if you could assemble this kind of team here, lol. I can't imagine they will go through with this but I'll go along for the ride. Here's a neat team I asssembled:

For backups I have the Hou running game and a bunch of very attractive players waiting for suspensions or injuries. Paul,

What pick did you have?

John

JerseyPaul

Post by JerseyPaul » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:32 am

An early pick. I passed on a good RB to take Brady.

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:34 am

I'm assuming it's 1ppr for bush? If so, I grade it an 7.5 out of 10. Can't rate you any higher without knowing a complete roster.

If it's not, maybe a 5 out of 10
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

JerseyPaul

Post by JerseyPaul » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:33 am

Gordon, I respect you a lot. What I suspect you haven't done, however, is study the mathematics of these specific rules (QB as flex and other stuff). I'm not going to go over the details here, but I am very pleased with the outcome. We can chat more when I see you at the Friday money giveaway, if they can fill 1 league.

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:35 am

We can chat more when I see you at the Friday money giveaway, if they can fill 1 league. :D

New slogan: "Take Our Money, Please!"

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:44 am

You're right. I haven't looked at their scoring system. Is it 1ppr for bush?
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

JerseyPaul

Post by JerseyPaul » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:15 am

Bush at the 4/5 turn. No ppr.

Simple way to look at this. Garrard (projected at Addai level) is RB1. Bush is RB2. TJones at flex.

So if I said:

Brady
Addai/Bush/Jones
AJohnson/Smith/Curtis

you would probably approve.

I don't have to tell you about Brady's value, especially with Manning nicked.

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:05 pm

Originally posted by felixflamingo:
What info tells you they are off to a decent start? Not questioning you, just wondering if there is a way to keep up to date with their # of entries.

I've seen people not pay $100 for fantasy leagues after drafting in person, I've seen leagues here fill up over a few weeks and those only have 14 slots. 20,000 people willing to pay $125 just seems ludicrous to me. They're now up to about 60 full lges, plus with the future drafts of unfilled lges its closed to double that, so 120 lges out of 2,000 needed for cash flow breakeven (on prize money alone).

They seem to be filling 10 lges a day, so assume they're getting entries of 20 lges per day. That pace would put them at close to 1,000 leagues by draft day. However, given the mass market appeal at a lower entry level, and thus less experienced drafters, that pace could pick up substantially as the season gets closer.

So maybe they can get to somewhere between 1,000 and 1,500 leagues. 1,000 lges would be a cash loss of around $1 mill, while 1,500 would be a loss of about $500k.

If year two could bring in the modelled 5,000 leagues (after paying out a big $1 million this year = feasible), their cash profit would jump to $2.7 million. Taking a start-up loss of $500k-$1 million in year one for that kind of annuity isn't a bad business model.

Bottom-line, I think this league could be a go.

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:52 am

For backups I have the Hou running game and a bunch of very attractive players waiting for suspensions or injuries. Paul, that is a very nice team for all the right reasons!
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.