Playoff Handicapping - what do you think?

Route Collectors

Post by Route Collectors » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:05 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
quote:Originally posted by Route C:
Just a quick correction EJ - Team New actually lost in week 13 and Gekko was 8th going into the playoffs. His hot streak started about 5 weeks prior to the playoffs when he was WAY back in points, however, I get your drift. yes, we were #8 going into the playoffs.

and what do you mean by WAY back? thanks
[/QUOTE]After week 13 you were still 117 points back. Couldn't find a total after 8, but I'm sure you were over 200 back at the time. Compared to where you finished that is WAY back. ;)

As far as sounding like Greg - it's the spirit of the season. :D

TamuScarecrow

Post by TamuScarecrow » Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:06 am

There are arguments for both the current playoff system and KofQ's alternative of everyone starting at 0 for the playoffs. Nothing wrong with the current system as the head start for the top teams is equivalent to home-field advantage for the real NFL teams who played the best during the season. I wouldn't give them any extra head start and I wouldn't give them any extra money as the NFL doesn't give their regular season champs any extra money. Greg has an excellent system here.

As for KofQ's alternative of everyone starting at 0, same rules apply in the NFL playoff system and would be a very acceptable alternative in the NFFC IMHO.

As previously stated by Greg, all of the point leaders in the NFFC have one some money going into the playoffs with the $100k being the mucho carrot and I, and I imagine the majority of my fellow players, wouldn't want to see that changed. The payout is fine for the money available. If you want to boost the playoff prize money, change the league payouts to $3k for h2h winner and $1500 for points. That extra $60k could boost the top prize to $125k and 2nd place to $50k.

Why do we have an overall points leaderboard? It doesn't hurt to see where you compare to the rest of the NFFC during the season and with the new playoff rule of the top 10% going to the championship round it's good to know where you stand.
2005 NY/CHI League Champ
2006 CHI#2 3rd Place
2006 Auction Reg Season Champ
2007 TAM#2 2nd Place
2007 Auction Reg Season Champ
2009 LV#5 League Champ
2010 Auction Reg Season Champ
2011 LV#3 2nd Place
2012 LV Classic League Champ

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:22 am

Originally posted by Route C:
After week 13 you were still 117 points back. Couldn't find a total after 8, but I'm sure you were over 200 back at the time. Compared to where you finished that is WAY back. ;)

As far as sounding like Greg - it's the spirit of the season. :D wasn't everyone getting crushed by team new?

[ December 06, 2005, 04:22 PM: Message edited by: Gordon Gekko ]
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

Eddiejag

Post by Eddiejag » Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:50 am

YOU could also raise the price to 1400.00, that extra 150 times 300 could be used for other catgories. I think WCOFF does 1400.00 , nothing wrong to keep up with the jones's.
NFBC (NY) auction league champion!
Bad(ass)Angels

He who steps to me in 2005, you better realize you dont have enough jive..... TURKEY!

RI WORKHORSE

Post by RI WORKHORSE » Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:52 am

hey eddie g we use ***** around here

LOL
I.W
Johnny Frisella

RI WORKHORSE

Post by RI WORKHORSE » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:09 am

Greg Ambrosius
Is carrying your weekly scoring average the fairest way since everyone competed in separate leagues, where the drafts were different, free agent pickups were different and h2h records were different?

This is a real good point.I don't know what table it was but the table that went manning 1 and culpepper 2 in ny could throw some things off.Not saying this time in general but some peoples crazy idea's could down the road.Also agree with greg about everything else,each table is different.

johnny
I.W
Johnny Frisella

BLACKHAND

Post by BLACKHAND » Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:11 pm

my thought is to keep playoff totals alone. this keeps more teams alive which is great for the league. i like the idea of 1,400.00 entry fee but think the extra money(or part of it) should go to better division prize as 500 for second most points does not get me excited. maybe make it 5,000 for h2h winner , 3 ,000 most points 1,250 second most points and 750 for third most points while having the third most points team in the c-bowl and not in the championship round. this also might keep more teams playing harder longer which is good for league integrity.
THIS IS THE BUSINESS WE HAVE CHOSEN

Route Collectors

Post by Route Collectors » Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:20 pm

Now that we're 2 pages into this I will chime in.
First of all let's try to stick to the subject - playoff handicapping. Prize fund changes should be tabled for another discussion.

I am in favor of rewarding the overall points champ with a free entry into the next seasons NFFC.

I am also in favor of eliminating playoff handicapping because of the inconsistancy that happens from league to league. I won't drag this out since it was already explained earlier.

Rick, I have to respectfully have a different opinion on this one. I don't think you can compare the NFL to the NFFC here. This is a contest that has 20 leagues and 280 owners using the same players 20 times. The NFL is totally different. We can only mimic them so much. Rules and prize structures need to be flexible to create a good contest, that's why I don't think the NFL is a good example here.

Even though there can be an advantage from one league to the next, I think it is still hard to be #1 out of 280 teams after 13 weeks. As this event grows it will be an even greater accomplishment. That's my reason for wanting to reward #1.

I believe the playoffs constitute a "new season" therefore I think everyone should start out even. Again, this is a contest not the NFL, so IMO the home field advantage analogy isn't a fair representation of our game because we have multiple leagues competing against one another with the same players. This doesn't happen in the NFL.

At any rate, the current handicapping doesn't amount to much so my order of preference would be:
1) Eliminate it and everyone starts at zero
2) Increase it to 2x's the weekly average so it means something
3) Increase to 1.5x's because it's better than 1x's.
4) Decrease it to .5x's for no apparent reason
5) Allow RC into this years playoffs for no apparent reason. :D

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:48 pm

Now that's cutting to the chase, RC. :D

It's interesting to note that so many people are saying "reward the first 13 weeks more than just 25% of the championship round" yet others are saying "start from scratch in the championship round." There doesn't seem to be a consensus yet.

Your Top 3 above make sense, although you also need to add a fourth spot to keep it at "4. Carry your weekly scoring average into the playoffs". I'd love to see short and quick which are the preferences of today's NFFC owners. But no messages around here are short and sweet anymore! :D
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius