Aaron Rodgers

Greg Ambrosius

Aaron Rodgers

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:53 am

This is a pretty good article by Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel comparing Rodgers' current 16-game streak with Favre's best 16-game streak:

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/13 ... witterfeed

There's no need to compare what Rodgers is doing to Favre because it's special nonetheless. Favre was a three-time MVP ('95, '96, '97) and can stand up to any comparison. But this 16-game stretch that Silverstein notes is something I didn't even realize. Those are incredible numbers, just like Rodgers has put up these past 16 games. The crazy thing is that I don't think Rodgers is done and when 2011 is complete his numbers could dwarf any season Favre put up, even the MVP years.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

renman

Aaron Rodgers

Post by renman » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:28 am

While I personally like Rodgers more than Favre, I will say this. The NFL has made a number of rule changes in the last 10 years to really help the passing game. Passing numbers and stats now are blowing away what was put up in the past.

Having said that, I think the better way to judge is comparing them to their peers at the time. Rodgers is still putting up numbers that dwart the other QB's in this current era.

Tom Kessenich

Aaron Rodgers

Post by Tom Kessenich » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:40 am

Originally posted by rkulaski:
quote:Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
quote:Originally posted by Riverdog:

1st round pick in every league next year ? I think so. Of course, I tried to tell people he was a first-round pick this year. ;)
[/QUOTE]First round? I took him with the first pick overall in one draft! But I'm a Packer fan and decided I've got to have him on one team this year!
[/QUOTE]If you wanted him and you had the first pick you didn't have another option because he wasn't coming back to you in the second.

As far as the Favre-Rodgers thing, that was a very good article by Silverstein. It did a great job of showing that many people's perceptions of Favre (especially a lot of Packers fans) are clouded by personal feelings. I think a lot of them have forgotten just how damn good he was because there's so much adoration (deservedly so mind you) toward Rodgers. Too bad really.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Route Collectors

Aaron Rodgers

Post by Route Collectors » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:45 am

Greg and Tom....you guys are singing a new song for Teddy T these days.
I remember during the Favre fiasco and not going after R.Moss how you guys were ready to run TT out of town.
Apparently all is now forgiven! :D
Awesome that you guys have such a great team to cheer on now...and yes I am jealous.

Tom Kessenich

Aaron Rodgers

Post by Tom Kessenich » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:49 pm

Jeff, the Packers won a Super Bowl with a team Thompson built. I wasn't always a fan of everything he's done but there's no denying he made it all count in the end.

For the record, I was never really bothered the Packers didn't go after Moss but I did want them to go after Tony Gonzalez, who they could've gotten for cheap, and I wanted them to trade for Lynch last season. Safe to say it all worked out in the end. :D
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

CoMoHusker

Aaron Rodgers

Post by CoMoHusker » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:03 pm

Although it is still way too early to make any real comparisons on their careers, I will offer the one area that Rodgers is glaringly superior to Favre is in the turnover department. As great as Favre was, he had the ability at times to throw his team out of a game just as much as he did in throwing to keep his team in or win games.

Rodgers is an excellent decision maker and will never put up near the INT numbers that Favre did. This isn't because he doesn't take chances either. I've seen the guy make thread throws that I couldn't believe made it in there. One particular to Jennings stands out from the Superbowl.

I'm a life long 49ers fan and I use to think that Brady was the coolest dude in the pocket since Montana. This is now true of AR who is making the difficult position of quarterback look way too easy. His numbers are damn right silly right now.

I wouldn't flinch one bit if I saw him selected number one overall in some leagues next year. I would say that you could make a great argument that he shouldn't fall below fifth behind the four stud RB's.
Go Big Red!

Tom Kessenich

Aaron Rodgers

Post by Tom Kessenich » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:35 am

Originally posted by CoMoHusker:

I wouldn't flinch one bit if I saw him selected number one overall in some leagues next year. I would say that you could make a great argument that he shouldn't fall below fifth behind the four stud RB's. That's about where I currently have him ranked. I'd take Foster, Peterson, McCoy, Forte and Rice in my Top 5. But once they're off the board Rodgers would be my pick.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich