The playoff "advantage"???

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:44 pm

The scoring average is pretty meaningless. A 130-points-scored differential equates to 10 additional points in the playoffs. Even a 390 point margin (30 playoff points) can easily be overcome.

Now, if you make it 1.5x or 2x, the tightly grouped teams (0 to 130 points difference) will still only have a 15 to 20 point edge from best to worst. What WILL change is that the bottom-rung (390+ points back) teams will have a very hard time winning, as 45 to 60 points is probably enough to make a difference.

If the goal is to make it difficult for teams that don't "deserve" to be in the playoffs, then we should increase the average to 1.5x or 2x. Otherwise, in my opinion, it doesn't make much of a difference.

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:45 pm

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko II:
quote:Originally posted by sportsbettingman:
Quite frankly, yes.

Even easier...everyone in his league goes broke on the waiver wire bidding nutty early in the season...and he has dibs on 5 months worth of free agent ww pick ups.

The way baseball is set up...it is very very easy to collude...should that be your goal. and yet, through 6 years of the nfbc, this has never happened. something that you admit is 10X easier to pull off than in football.

i think the fact of the matter is, collusion amongst multiple people is EXTREMELY tough to pull off. too many people to keep quiet and too many tracks to hide. sorry lance.
[/QUOTE]Neither of us know home much or how little has already happened...but having safeguards in place is a good thing for football.
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver

Gordon Gekko II

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:46 pm

Originally posted by sportsbettingman:
The freaking Superbowl is played on a neutral field.ya, because they don't want it in a cold weather stadium. ALL of the playoff games are played at the team with home field advantage. come on lance, you are losing cred fast.

Raiders

Post by Raiders » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:49 pm

'I was always in favor of something like this, John.'

Can't take all the credit, some Guy from Queens was also in on the talks. :D

John

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:50 pm

Originally posted by King of Queens:
If the goal is to make it difficult for teams that don't "deserve" to be in the playoffs, then we should increase the average to 1.5x or 2x. That's one way to frame it. Why let them in at all?

As a game operator...is that what you'd do? Give the healthy teams that didn't have to survive major injury a fat advantage come money time?

Good point.
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver

KOTRAX

Post by KOTRAX » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:52 pm

THIS IS AN INTERESTING DEBATE AND BOTH SIDES MAKE GREAT POINTS.

HOWEVER I AM 100% AGAINST ANY TYPE OF ROTO LEAGUE LIKE BASEBALL.

I WILL ADMIT THE MORE SKILLFULL OWNER WINS IN BASEBALL BUT LIKE LANCE SAID YOU WOULD LOSE CLIENTELL BECAUSE IN MY OPINION IT GIVES LITTLE INCENTIVE AND RUSH TO WATCH THE GAMES.

JUST OUR MATCH IN THE FFPC G.G. YOU WERE UP 11 WITH L.MOORE VERSUS TONY G. FOR ME.

WIN OR LOSE I LIKE TO WATCH THE GAME TO GET THE RUSH. IF IT IS A ROTO LEAGUE PERSONALLY I COULD CARE LESS IN WEEK 8 OF THE SEASON.

I DON'T KNOW THE PERFECT SYSTEM BUT IT IS NICE TO BOUNCE IDEAS OF EACH OTHER.

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:55 pm

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko II:
quote:Originally posted by sportsbettingman:
The freaking Superbowl is played on a neutral field.ya, because they don't want it in a cold weather stadium. ALL of the playoff games are played at the team with home field advantage. come on lance, you are losing cred fast. [/QUOTE]"King Cherry Pick" :D

How many #1 seeds have won the Superbowl in the last 20 years? Hell you get two #1 seeds per season...they should win at a high percentage, right? ...all that home field changing the size of the field and the weather changing each offensive possession and such. :D

GREAT debate...gotta run to watch the movie "UP" for the first time!

~Long John Silver

Gordon Gekko II

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:58 pm

Originally posted by KOTRAX:
JUST OUR MATCH IN THE FFPC G.G. YOU WERE UP 11 WITH L.MOORE VERSUS TONY G. FOR ME.

WIN OR LOSE I LIKE TO WATCH THE GAME TO GET THE RUSH. IF IT IS A ROTO LEAGUE PERSONALLY I COULD CARE LESS IN WEEK 8 OF THE SEASON.
see, i don't get that rush. i don't even know who you have playing.

anyways, no one is saying this shoould be like a roto league. only that the regular season should be weighed more heavily.

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:59 pm

Originally posted by sportsbettingman:
quote:Originally posted by King of Queens:
If the goal is to make it difficult for teams that don't "deserve" to be in the playoffs, then we should increase the average to 1.5x or 2x. That's one way to frame it. Why let them in at all?

As a game operator...is that what you'd do? Give the healthy teams that didn't have to survive major injury a fat advantage come money time?

Good point.
[/QUOTE]Under the current arrangement, everyone who makes the playoffs has a legitimate shot at the Grand Prize. That's EXACTLY what you want to see if you're a game operator -- you want as many people as possible to feel like they were THISCLOSE to winning, as they'll be more likely to come back for more torture the following season :D

Slightly off-topic, but the same logic applies to the 3rd place league prize. Since 2004, the single biggest increase in prizes has come in the form of 3rd place league prizes (up 150%, from $500 to $1,250). Why? More people feel like winners -- or at least not losers! ;)

Gordon Gekko II

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:01 pm

yes, from a game operator perspective, you want as many people as possible to have the perception that they were "this close". last i checked, lenny was a game operator.