ONE of these backup RB's could be the difference

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:14 am

Originally posted by kentuckyreign:
greg/tom
what about ryan grant this year? can we expect better times?

bill That offensive line STUNK last year in the rushing game. I was at Lambeau for almost every game and Grant ran the same way he did in previous years. Unfortunately, he was getting hit behind the line of scrimmage many times. Their interior line of Wells at C and the rotating poor play at guards was a killer last year. They've made some changes, but honestly I'm not sure it's for the better unless they scrap this stupid zone blocking. It doesn't work in late season conditions, especially not with this group.

I like Grant, but Bob McGinn of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel really got on his case last year and basically said the long-term deal he signed with the Packers might be the worst decision Ted Thompson has made to date. He thinks Grant is nothing more than a Top 40 NFL back. I think he's a solid back who can be explosive when given a hole and I'm shocked that McCarthy keeps taking him out of passing situations. There is NOTHING special about Brandon Jackson that should put him in there instead of Grant in passing situations. Throw the ball to Grant more often and he will perform.

Grant is going to top 1,000 yards again and will get his YPC closer to 4.4 than 3.9 this year. He will easily score more than four rushing TDs this year. He is by far their best option in this offense and Jackson isn't even close. With a full training camp and a better start, Grant will exceed expectations this year.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:35 pm

Originally posted by BillyWaz:
McGahee = T.Jones (old dudes possibly hanging on)Would you believe that Willis McGahee is only 27 years old?

He's a month younger than Clinton Portis (another guy that seems 30+).

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:45 pm

Originally posted by BillyWaz:
As far as Grant and Jackson (Ulysses S and Stonewall???) ....

Hasn't Brandon Jackson had a lot of issues with fumbling in his career in GB?

I'm sure Greg and/or Tom can verify this. All I know is that if you can't hang onto the ball, you won't stay on the field. 2007: 218 touches, 1 fumble, 1 FR
2008: 330 touches, 4 fumbles, 0 FR

I know he had two HUGE fumbles (in the first 3 plays!) in that playoff game against Seattle. However, he more than redeemed himself by rushing for over 200 yards in that game.

trueblue

Post by trueblue » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:49 pm

Originally posted by King of Queens:
quote:Originally posted by BillyWaz:
McGahee = T.Jones (old dudes possibly hanging on)Would you believe that Willis McGahee is only 27 years old?

[/QUOTE]i agree KOQ..these guys get no love..they are both warriors.

bill

rkulaski

Post by rkulaski » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:38 pm

Originally posted by DOOMSDAY:
Tom, do you think there is a role for Wynn in the GB backfield at all or simply there for depth purposes?

I somehow forgot to mention my feelings on Snake's initial search for this year's DeAngelo Williams, if there even is one considering he put up over 1500 yds and 20 total TD's.

When looking for this year's DeAngelo I think you can stop looking before you get started right there with the Panthers backfield. I think Stewart is your answer. Here is what I emailed Greg when he was looking for sleeper values...

RB - Jonathan Stewart, CAR
This power rusher will likely be going off the board in the fifth round of most 14-team drafts this season, but could very well prove to be second round and maybe even first round talent. The #13 pick out of Oregon, Stewart enters his second season on a heavily run oriented team with an elite offensive line. Yes, he will once again be sharing time with last season's phenom DeAngelo Williams, but I envision this time share to be much closer to 50-50 than it was last year. He averaged an impressive 4.5 ypc on 184 carries last year hitting pay dirt 10 times all while nursing a nagging toe injury and playing second fiddle to Williams. He should see 225 carries for 1,250 yards and as the go-to goal line back HE could see 15 TD's, not DeAngelo! A strong RB2 who has the talent to be top-5 material come season's end. Right now, Wynn is there for depth only.

After watching every Packer game last year (only 1 at Lambeau, I'm not as fortunate as Greg!), the holes weren't there for Grant.

Jackson seemed to make more out of his opportunities last year than Grant, no doubt about it. But the Packers line should be better this year. Also, one reason they really like Grant is he's a one cut and go type back. He hits the hole fast, he's decisive, which is the type of back they are looking for in their zone blocking. Are they sticking with the zone blocking scheme again totally this year, I'm not sure as I'm just beginning my football prep but bottomline is Grant is the 1st-2nd down back. B Jackson likely will be the 3rd down back (like last year). Injuries aside, Grant should definitely put up better stats this year. Wynn is useless unless Grant gets hurt.

As for L Washington, I think I side with snake on this one. Remember, many people used to say B Westbrook was too small to be an every down back and then opportunity came knocking. Last year, I heard the same thing with Slaton- too small to carry the load. If a guy is producing, he'll play. Washington is definitely a playmaker - if Jones' play is too lackluster, I could see Washington getting 10-12 touches a game as a backup/change of pace type guy. If Jones is injured, Washington could see 20 touches a game with the rookie Green(e?) seeing short yardage and goaline carries.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:50 am

quote:Originally posted by BillyWaz:

[/QUOTE]Yea but McGahee's knees are 66 so when you combine the two he's really in his 40s. :D

I've always liked McGahee but he's never lived up to his billing. He's in a contract year but he's in a terrible situation because Rice is a talent and McClain is no worse than a goal-line option (though I could see him being a Marion Barber-esque 4th quarter finisher). McGahee is a good value pick right now because there's little downside given where he typically is being drafted. I'm just not sure there's much upside. I think Rice and McClain both have more.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:02 am

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BillyWaz:
[qb]I know he had two HUGE fumbles (in the first 3 plays!) in that playoff game against Seattle. However, he more than redeemed himself by rushing for over 200 yards in that game. That is still the most fun I've ever had at Lambeau Field. It was like watching a football game inside a snow globe. The snowflakes were so large they left imprints on your jacket and the temperature was around 32-33 so the snow was very wet and the air felt warm. Everyone was in panic mode when it was 14-0 three minutes into the game but then the onslaught occurred and we scored touchdowns on our next six possessions for a 42-14 win. Unreal.

I've said this before, but will say it again. Deanna Favre and the two girls met Brett on the field after that game as he neared the tunnel in the South end zone, the first time they've ever come down on the field. They all felt this was going to be Brett's last game at Lambeau and they wanted to enjoy the moment together. Brett had already decided that playing another year was going to be tough, especially for a boss that he felt didn't treat him with respect. I'm convinced that the Favre family already knew this was going to be his final game in Lambeau.

Of course, the Giants upset the Cowboys the next day and we hosted the NFC Championship Game at Lambeau, with Brett wearing a freakin' black ski mask and having a Kleenex in his muffin the whole game. :mad: Hey, I was cold too and mad when my beer froze solid in the neck of my MGD bottle, but I sucked it up for four hours!! Why couldn't you, Brett?!! :mad:

Anyway, this whole charade is going on 2+ years now and seeing him in purple will be hilarious. It should provide for an interesting NFC North race this year and we'll all have some fun with this. But I'll always remain convinced that Brett knew that night that he'd never play for the Packers again at Lambeau and his family acted in that regard.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:54 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
quote:Originally posted by King of Queens:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by BillyWaz:
[qb]I know he had two HUGE fumbles (in the first 3 plays!) in that playoff game against Seattle. However, he more than redeemed himself by rushing for over 200 yards in that game. That is still the most fun I've ever had at Lambeau Field. It was like watching a football game inside a snow globe. The snowflakes were so large they left imprints on your jacket and the temperature was around 32-33 so the snow was very wet and the air felt warm. Everyone was in panic mode when it was 14-0 three minutes into the game but then the onslaught occurred and we scored touchdowns on our next six possessions for a 42-14 win. Unreal.

I've said this before, but will say it again. Deanna Favre and the two girls met Brett on the field after that game as he neared the tunnel in the South end zone, the first time they've ever come down on the field. They all felt this was going to be Brett's last game at Lambeau and they wanted to enjoy the moment together. Brett had already decided that playing another year was going to be tough, especially for a boss that he felt didn't treat him with respect. I'm convinced that the Favre family already knew this was going to be his final game in Lambeau.

Of course, the Giants upset the Cowboys the next day and we hosted the NFC Championship Game at Lambeau, with Brett wearing a freakin' black ski mask and having a Kleenex in his muffin the whole game. :mad: Hey, I was cold too and mad when my beer froze solid in the neck of my MGD bottle, but I sucked it up for four hours!! Why couldn't you, Brett?!! :mad:

Anyway, this whole charade is going on 2+ years now and seeing him in purple will be hilarious. It should provide for an interesting NFC North race this year and we'll all have some fun with this. But I'll always remain convinced that Brett knew that night that he'd never play for the Packers again at Lambeau and his family acted in that regard.
[/QUOTE]This topic is about backup RB's. Turned to Ryan Grant, to Brandon Jackson, to Brett Favre.

I gotta funny feeling that Greg is just a tad bitter about Brett Favre?? :eek: