Chris Berman's Snide Remark About Fantasy

bluenose

Post by bluenose » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:15 am

ESPN has gone soft as a channel, period. I want to watch sports, and news about sports. Not Berman in a turban, not "Quite Frankly", not "ESPN Original Entertainment" (whatever the hell that is...), etc.

Leave the opining to talk radio, and the movies to HBO. Show me sports, sports news and video highlights.

Oh. And real sports please. Not the Westminster Kennel Club, not the Spelling Bee, not the WNBA, etc.

richieprimo

Post by richieprimo » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:34 am

Originally posted by King of Queens:
Javier Bardem sprays on his hair, too? No, but Anton "Granulated" Chigurh does.
Paying Top Dollar For All 12 and 10 cent Superhero Comics. Send PM...You may have money packed in your garage or attic.

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:34 am

First off, I agree that ESPN has a TON of fly-by-night sportscasters. In another post, I've said they are nothing more than human teleprompters.

But let me try and be the Devil's advocate here. Is there a possibility that Chris Berman meant "Real" as opposed to "Fantasy", just because he was using the polar opposites as a lead in for the next story? If someone doesn't play fantasy football, then hearing "fantasy" may be just that to them. Hence, "Real news", trying to be a comical opening. Is there a possibility that he was just literally playing with words and not with our beloved hobby?

I didn't watch or hear the game, so I'm just throwing a possibility out there. There always is the possibility that we are such fantasy fanatics that we DARE hear anyone say anything that sound like they mock us, and we're ready to give a beat-down...

Signed,

Daddy-Diesel

[ August 26, 2008, 03:36 PM: Message edited by: Diesel ]
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:35 am

True, true, and true.

I can't stand most of what ESPN does...the NFL tonight, and Baseball tonight are still pretty good...giving up to date info and stats.

The Red Zone channel does not need a talking head there. I can see for myself who's playing, where they are on the field, and what down and distance to go it is. Just keep switching to the games with the most interest.

The NFL Network is king right now...with all the replay's and combines and draft and news.

IMO...Podcast and Video casts are the way to get good info from fellow fantasy players and stat geeks...less fluff and more info to crunch.

~Lance
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver

richieprimo

Post by richieprimo » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:53 am

I quit watching ESPN the first time that I saw Stephen A. Smith pontificating on the screen. I knew more about sports than him when I was 12.
Paying Top Dollar For All 12 and 10 cent Superhero Comics. Send PM...You may have money packed in your garage or attic.

D-Day Heroes

Post by D-Day Heroes » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:28 am

Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
quote:Originally posted by Bezoar:

It's their loss that they don't enjoy what we enjoy with fantasy football. Of course, they are laughing all the way to the bank but that is a different story. What irks me is the way society values entertainment and rewards entertainers rather than those that really make our lives better. Well that's another discussion entirely.

My point here isn't that they should love us but I do think they can spare us the condescending attitude. If you don't like fantasy sports, that's fine. Nobody is insisting that you do. But if you're in the broadcast industry you need to be aware of who your audience is and I don't think it's smart to spit on a large segment of your audience. You may not like the reason why they're watching you but the bottom line is they are watching you. I'm surprised people like Berman and Costas can't understand the importance of that.
[/QUOTE]Tom ... You make a great point.

Forget that he Rubs Us the wrong way personally.

As a Bussiness perspective it is just plain stupid to disrespect the industry that saved, YES SAVED, your job. I still procaim that after Free Agency, Steroids and all the other Garbage that Proffesional sports was up against the the 15 years. THAT IT IS FANTASY SPORTS THAT HAS SAVED THESE GAMES. and I'll stand bt that. When i was growing up, your team had the same guys on it for most of thier careers, after free agency, these players changed teams like we change our socks, AND THAT HURT MORETHAN THEY ARE WILLING TO ADMIT. But then came Fantasy Sports, and it did not matter who was on your " Favorite Team " anymore, what mattered was who was on your " Fantasy Team " ! And That Saved Proffesional Sports.

Bottom Line, Boomer needs to show more Love.

:D
" When you are in any contest you should work as if there were - to the very last minute - a chance to lose it. "
- Dwight D. Eisenhower

D-Day Heroes

Post by D-Day Heroes » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:47 am

na d the best way he can sho wthat love , is to RETIRE ! :D

Top 3 best anchors for ESPN are : Bonnie Bernstein, Linda Cohn, and Suzy Kolber.

Seriously, they are not just easy on the eyes,they are easy on the ears, and the most important Brain. They are Much Smarter, than those other Yahoos they got anchoring !

maybe its because they are woman, they feel they can't get away with all that childish humor, and thats what i love about those 3 especially, they are the ultimate proffesionals.

Besides that , I'm sick of hearing from guys that never played, ( Boomer ), or played lousey ( Jaws ).... I want Hall of Famers up there , telling me thing I don't know.

years ago , athletes were not as articulate as today, thats no longer the case.... GET RID OF THE BOZOS ... GIVE ME THE PROFFESIONAL FEMALE ANCHORS and The PROFFESIONAL Athletes, Thats who I want to Listen and Watch :D
" When you are in any contest you should work as if there were - to the very last minute - a chance to lose it. "
- Dwight D. Eisenhower

D-Day Heroes

Post by D-Day Heroes » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:57 am

... sorry about all the typos, guys !!

How do I put a damn spellcheck on this ? :D
- Dwight D. Eisenhower

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:00 pm

Don't get too overblown with ex-athletes.

Emmitt Smith will make you dumb...be didn't even know Maurice Morris was in the mix for RB in SEA.

Oh boy...Jerry Rice overcame speech problems...now he can't stop talking.

Give me the smart guys/gals...no preference toward those who played the game...unless they are smart.

~Lance
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver

D-Day Heroes

Post by D-Day Heroes » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:07 pm

Originally posted by sportsbettingman:
Don't get too overblown with ex-athletes.

Emmitt Smith will make you dumb...be didn't even know Maurice Morris was in the mix for RB in SEA.

Oh boy...Jerry Rice overcame speech problems...now he can't stop talking.

Give me the smart guys/gals...no preference toward those who played the game...unless they are smart.

~Lance Lance , your right about those 2, but there are still plenty of Ballers that would make great sports casters.

And you have to love those 3 girls don't you ?

Who would be your top 3 prefferences ?
- Dwight D. Eisenhower