Week 4 Pickups

KenGill

Week 4 Pickups

Post by KenGill » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:51 am

Also as Billy stated, by the next FAAB 1/3 of the season will be complete. With the bye weeks starting at that time, for fantasy teams possibly still searching for that 3rd or 4th WR, andfor some having to replace one of their biggest producers at that position in Britt (as I had to on five teams), there weren't many options or much time left to make a move. This was a swing for the fences play at a time and in a position where that was needed and that I believe has a chance to reach the stands. We'll see how it works out.
------------------------------------------------------
My one team is 3-0 but just lost Britt for the season. WR's have been carrying me and I have Flacco at QB. Smith is exactly the type of player you roll the dice on with free agency. I'm more than happy with the $555 that I spent to get him.
I never lost a game. I only ran out of time. Bobby Layne
Kid....if you're going to make it in this league, you're going to have to learn to drink. Bobby Layne

alanr824

Week 4 Pickups

Post by alanr824 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:53 am

My team is 0-3. If I dont win this week, I am pretty much done. Yes I overbid on Torrey Smith, but at this point, I swung for the fences and hopefully he can help me get a win. This week, he is actually a very good play against the Jets. Revis will blanket Boldin and Flacco will have to throw somewhere. Evans will not regain his job. To me, Smith was a much better gamble than I have seen so far in the FA market. If it turns out I am wrong, I lose anyways. At some point, you just have to go all in. Which is what I did. So, shoot me.

Ted's Cracked Head

Week 4 Pickups

Post by Ted's Cracked Head » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:55 am

You have to go with your gut. Sometimes you are right and the other times you crash and burn. If I am wrong in this case I have helped Chad and Jack as I have burned most of my FA money. If I am right and maybe kept another team like Chads from backing up Evans (I do not know if his team was the losing bid or not).......I may have a chance in this league. Risk/Reward and no regrets!
My mama says she loves me but she could be jiving too! BB King

Eddiejag

Week 4 Pickups

Post by Eddiejag » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:56 am

Originally posted by Eddiejag:
IN one of my big leagues we bid just over 300 hundred for Torey Smith and that league we have Lee Evans.In the other leagues we bid just bout 100 dollars and needless to say didnt get him anywhere.
Steve Slaton was my big pickup in three of the four high stakes event.With the rookie out and Bush sucking thought that might be something.
Laurent Robinson is another guy i like and think he will evantually be the third reciver passing Ogletree.
NFBC (NY) auction league champion!
Bad(ass)Angels

He who steps to me in 2005, you better realize you dont have enough jive..... TURKEY!

BillyWaz

Week 4 Pickups

Post by BillyWaz » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:57 am

Originally posted by Eddiejag:
IN one of my big leagues we bid just over 300 hundred for Torey Smith and that league we have Lee Evans.In the other leagues we bid just bout 100 dollars and needless to say didnt get him anywhere.
Steve Slaton was my big pickup in three of the four high stakes event.With the rookie out and Bush sucking thought that might be something.
Laurent Robinson is another guy i like and think he will evanually be the third reciver passing Ogletree. I like Slaton as well, Eddie.

Not sure about the love for Laurent. Austin AND Bryant will be back at full strength in week 6, Witten is a target hog, and Felix is as well.

Paying anything more than $30-40 for Laurent looking like the 5th option.....at best) seems like a waste of money. Oh yea.....he will most likely be hurt some time soon as well.

That being said, he wasn't a bad one week option. ;)

[ October 01, 2011, 11:59 AM: Message edited by: BillyWaz ]

Eddiejag

Week 4 Pickups

Post by Eddiejag » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:23 am

Originally posted by BillyWaz:
quote:Originally posted by Eddiejag:
Laurent Robinson is another guy i like and think he will evanually be the third reciver passing Ogletree. I like Slaton as well, Eddie.

Not sure about the love for Laurent. Austin AND Bryant will be back at full strength in week 6, Witten is a target hog, and Felix is as well.

Paying anything more than $30-40 for Laurent looking like the 5th option.....at best) seems like a waste of money. Oh yea.....he will most likely be hurt some time soon as well.

That being said, he wasn't a bad one week option. ;)
[/QUOTE]Didnt think many would be bidding on Laurent so just bid 10 buck's.This week with Austin out and Dez hurt Laurent could be a sleeper.
NFBC (NY) auction league champion!
Bad(ass)Angels

He who steps to me in 2005, you better realize you dont have enough jive..... TURKEY!

renman

Week 4 Pickups

Post by renman » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:27 am

I was surprised not to see more bidding on Patrick Crayton. Plays in a prolific offense with an explosive QB right behind 2 WR's who are injury prone and currently dinged up. Add to that the stud TE who is a target siphon being out and I could certainly see Crayton emerge as a legit producer for periods of time during this season.

I also agree with cocktails and dreams in that how valuable a player is will dramatically change from team to team. I didn't even big on Torrey Smith because I am pretty strong at WR. But if I wasn't or I was a Britt owner or a Miles Austin owner I might very well have rolled the dice on him. Glenneration x's logic made perfect sense to me.

The Franchise

Week 4 Pickups

Post by The Franchise » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:19 am

Originally posted by Sandman62:
I also agree on TSmith. As Glenn pointed out, he could end up a DeSean-like player - every few games he puts up numbers, but he could get you 5 PPG the other 75% of the time.

Give me the target hogs over the boom or bust types anytime. We prefer high floors over high ceilings for WR3 and flex players. I wouldn't be surprised if David Nelson and Eric Decker are this year's version of Stevie Johnson and Brandon Lloyd. We have Nelson on 6 teams and Decker on 3 (of our 9). And as my son/co-manager pointed out, how ironic that they're both the next man up on the very same teams whose QBs produced top-10 breakout waiver wire wonders last year AND the guys in front of them are already nursing nagging injuries! Hey Mike - Sometimes it just depends on the situation and timing. Last week Britt owners were happier than a pig in S#@! and were not interested too much on guys like Nelson and Decker. This week........ not the case.

So who is available to replace the injured Britt? Well, there were a few guys, but Smith is the only one that could be a difference maker. IMO. Boom or bust, yes you have it exactly right. That is why we play the game because everyone has a different opinion on what players can help their team.
Winning isn't everything, but the will to win is.

Coltsfan

Week 4 Pickups

Post by Coltsfan » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:29 am

If we knew someone was going to break out then the bids would be 980+. It's all pretty much a crap shoot. I'd almost rather go with an unknown commodity like him than who has consistently disappointed.

I do agree completely with Chad. Reasonable depends on your situation.

Wayne

Sandman62

Week 4 Pickups

Post by Sandman62 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:34 am

I completely agree Franchise; timing is everything. Most years, we miss out on breakout WRs because we're usually in pretty good shape. But this year, we have Austin in 4 leagues and Colston in a couple more and had to spend a bit more the first couple weeks. But I sympathize with Britt owners, who lost a good WR2 for the season, not just a few weeks. In their situation, we'd be breaking the bank too. But I doubt even those who were happy with Britt had NO dead WR spots on their bench to upgrade? The trouble is, when you're happy with your starters and maybe even a bench WR or two, you're understandably not inclined to go drop $300-400 on a Decker or Nelson type after they've shown a couple weeks of good production. The time to take a flier on them was after week ONE, when they could still be had cheaper. That's the paradox though; you don't wanna blow ANY money when you're sitting pretty at a position. As I said, we've been there too and therefore usually don't take advantage of WW WRs.

Good luck to those with Torrey - except those in OUR leagues. Nelson and Decker... keep it up! (top 20 this year!)

[ October 01, 2011, 01:38 PM: Message edited by: Sandman62 ]