Top 15 WRs From Fantasy Sports Magazine

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Fri May 15, 2009 3:10 am

Given how I have Marshall in one league already I hope you're right. Given how utterly awful Kyle Orton is as a QB I'm not confident that will be the case.

But I do think Marshall will get his targets and like Bowe in KC I believe the sheer volume of passes he'll receive will result in good production. At the very least, I think Marshall will be a very good WR2. I'm just not confident he'll be a strong WR1.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

GOD Loves You

Post by GOD Loves You » Fri May 15, 2009 3:11 am

Why do people discount Brandon Marshall due to Kyle Orton? Marshall is more of a possession WR than a down the field one. I've watched numerous Bronoco games and Marshall catches a ton of passes within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage and proceeds to make 3-5 defenders miss......a lot of the time barely gaining yards in the process. For those of you who are Broncos fans, I'm sure you can attest to this. I've never seen another WR gain so little yardage for all the guys he makes miss. People act as if he's Randy Moss and Kyle Orton is going to hinder his 50+ yard bombs, Marshall isn't that type of WR.

I wanted to see if I was crazy.........

Marshall
08 104 rec 16 for 20+yds 1 for 40+yds
47 was the longest

07 102 rec 13 for 20+yds 3 for 40+yds
68 was the longest

The 16 for 20+ ranked 8th in the league, but when you look at the 1 for 40+ he joined players like Steve Heiden, Cedric Benson, Michael Clayton, Peyton Hillis....the list goes on.

Compare his 08 stats to Devin Hester, who had the weak armed Orton throwing him the ball.
With less than half the amount of receptions, Hester only had 7 less 20+ and the same 40+

08 51 rec 9 for 20+yds 1 for 40+yds
65 was the longest.

Marshall averaged 12.2 and 13 yards per reception the past two season.....compare this with a few players like
Greg Jennings 16.2 17.4
Calvin Johnson 17.1 15.8
Lee Evans 16.7 15.4

And to the player he gets compared to most often
T.O. 15.2 16.7

The 12.2 ypc for Marshall last season tied Daniel Graham and Bobby Wade for 127th in the league. Heck, Hines Ward has a 12.2 ypc career average, like Marshall and nobody would consider Ward a down the field WR.

I know Cutler has a gun and does throw some bombs, but seriously, they weren't going to Marshall as often as people percieve. When I heard Orton was going to Denver, I actually thought, "well that doesn't really hinder Marshall and it might help him" because of the type of game Marshall plays.

I'd expect almost identical stats from Marshall this season.

As far as Roy Williams, he's been one of the most overdrafted players in fantasy the past few seasons. I've never understood the allure of him and have never owned him on any fantasy team..
FAITH IS NOT BELIEVING THAT GOD CAN....
IT IS KNOWING THAT HE WILL

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Fri May 15, 2009 3:13 am

Originally posted by Just Russ:

Olsen will be top 3 TE.

I'll post the TEs early next week but I agree Greg Olsen has major sleeper written all over him. The great thing is his value is terrific right now. I think a lot of folks are really sleeping on him and I'm honestly very surprised by that.

But let's save the TE discussion for the TE thread next week.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich