Free Agency 2X Per Week

Greg Ambrosius

Free Agency 2X Per Week

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:15 am

Originally posted by CC's Desperados:
quote:Originally posted by JohnZ:
Two times is good... Sunday is not good.

I did a poll two weeks ago. 20% of the owners don't access their teams on Sunday due to family commitments. They set their lineup Friday or Saturday night ("Set Friday and maybe check Sunday AM" earned 43% rating of 7 choices).

I've always felt that number was around there and explains why 95% of the time, it's not someone quitting when you see a lineup issue. Church was by far #1 all the way down to Sunday AM Softball.

I've tested different times for #2 all year, and Saturday Noon ET is overwhelming the #1 choice. I'm sorry John I don't think the level of competition here is the same as your events.

If FAAB ran at 8 AM, I would think most would have there transaction don't the night before. If you live in the west coast, they will be complete when you get up.

If you want to compete here, you have to aware the inactive players. Most players will check their lineups between 12 and 1.
[/QUOTE]The second transaction period shouldn't be for players who can help you out that day as hopefully all of those free agents were already picked up on Friday. I can only speculate, but I would think anyone being picked up the second time around would be a kicker or defense that you realized you had on bye or maybe a backup RB that you decided to store away for future use.

Folks asked for the latest possible time on Friday to run FAAB this year and 8 ET has worked well. No reason to mess with that timeline. And if we do a second FAAB next year, Saturday night or Sunday morning isn't much different. I can ask STATS what works best for them, too, and plan accordingly. It's not a given yet, but I do like the concept and the continuity of it all.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Captain Hook

Free Agency 2X Per Week

Post by Captain Hook » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:23 am

BUT Greg - the point was to add FAAB running on Wednesday (or Thursday) so people could pick up players for the Thursday NFL games.....the issue then becomes when the second FAAB would run - Friday as we have done - Saturday as John suggest or Sunday morning.

I think it should be Wednesday and X
and personally don't care what X is - although as several mentioned you would have to ask STATS if that extra traffic and entries on the site would have any chance of creating a problem in which case Sunday would be out.

And BTW John - just because some people have other committments on Sunday morning (and I totally respect that) - they can put in their bids on Saturday - just like they do their lineups now......or they could use the earlier FAAB run and be done with it.

pizzatyme

Free Agency 2X Per Week

Post by pizzatyme » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:58 am

John, are your leagues "high-stakes" leagues? If not, then I don't see the relevance.

Weds & Sunday morning are what I'd be in favor of.
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

Route Collectors

Free Agency 2X Per Week

Post by Route Collectors » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:18 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
quote:Originally posted by CC's Desperados:
Greg-

I think you are earning more and more fans everyday! Never be afraid of change, Shawn. That's my motto!! :D

Oh, and listen to your customer...some of the time. ;)
[/QUOTE]Does that mean we can earmark an extra roster spot into this bill Senator Ambrosius! :D

ultimatefs

Free Agency 2X Per Week

Post by ultimatefs » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:46 am

Originally posted by CC's Desperados:
Two times is good... Sunday is not good.

I did a poll two weeks ago. 20% of the owners don't access their teams on Sunday due to family commitments. They set their lineup Friday or Saturday night ("Set Friday and maybe check Sunday AM" earned 43% rating of 7 choices).

I've always felt that number was around there and explains why 95% of the time, it's not someone quitting when you see a lineup issue. Church was by far #1 all the way down to Sunday AM Softball.

I've tested different times for #2 all year, and Saturday Noon ET is overwhelming the #1 choice. I'm sorry John I don't think the level of competition here is the same as your events.

If FAAB ran at 8 AM, I would think most would have there transaction don't the night before. If you live in the west coast, they will be complete when you get up.

If you want to compete here, you have to aware the inactive players. Most players will check their lineups between 12 and 1.
[/QUOTE]Yes, 80% check between 12 and 1. I already posted that. The number of Lineup "issue" MB posts here is very similar to the number I get.

The final NFL reports come out late Friday. There's no reason to run them Sunday AM. Saturday night is much better on many issues like family, potential Stats problems (they've run an hour late a few times), and people need more time to adjust there lineups than just a few hours.

The second has shown to work well for things like "doubtful" players like Chambers recently, along with those things Greg mentioned.

There's really no difference running them Sat night over Sunday am other than avoiding several potential problems.
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.

Greg Ambrosius

Free Agency 2X Per Week

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:49 am

Originally posted by Captain Hook:
BUT Greg - the point was to add FAAB running on Wednesday (or Thursday) so people could pick up players for the Thursday NFL games.....the issue then becomes when the second FAAB would run - Friday as we have done - Saturday as John suggest or Sunday morning.

I think it should be Wednesday and X
and personally don't care what X is - although as several mentioned you would have to ask STATS if that extra traffic and entries on the site would have any chance of creating a problem in which case Sunday would be out.

And BTW John - just because some people have other committments on Sunday morning (and I totally respect that) - they can put in their bids on Saturday - just like they do their lineups now......or they could use the earlier FAAB run and be done with it. Agreed. Yes, Wednesday and then probably Sunday. And no, the extra traffic would not be any problem on a Sunday, especially if we ran the FAAB that early in the morning. No problems at all.

Exactly. If you won't be around on Sunday, make lots of conditional bids on Friday and be done with it. I don't think many folks will use the second FAAB anyway, but it's an added bonus if folks miss something on the first one or God forbid another Hurricane Ike comes around in Week 2.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship

Greg Ambrosius

Free Agency 2X Per Week

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:51 am

Originally posted by Route C:
quote:Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
quote:Originally posted by CC's Desperados:
Greg-

I think you are earning more and more fans everyday! Never be afraid of change, Shawn. That's my motto!! :D

Oh, and listen to your customer...some of the time. ;)
[/QUOTE]Does that mean we can earmark an extra roster spot into this bill Senator Ambrosius! :D
[/QUOTE]I promise to work across the aisle and get bi-partisan support for this. :D I'm not sure what Nancy Pelosi has to say about this, though. :D

Seriously, 19 roster spots is still a worthy discussion and I'll definitely consider it for 2009.

ultimatefs

Free Agency 2X Per Week

Post by ultimatefs » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:58 am

Originally posted by Just Russ:
John, are your leagues "high-stakes" leagues? If not, then I don't see the relevance.

Weds & Sunday morning are what I'd be in favor of. They were the highest priced until Greg showed up :D

Would you say data from 50 $200 NFFC 14-team sats of guys that have played 10 years plus irrelevant?

It's Greg's game. he can do whatever he wants. I'm just trying to give some info that helps in the decision process.

pizzatyme

Free Agency 2X Per Week

Post by pizzatyme » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:09 am

Originally posted by JohnZ:
quote:Originally posted by Just Russ:

Weds & Sunday morning are what I'd be in favor of. They were the highest priced until Greg showed up :D

Would you say data from 50 $200 NFFC 14-team sats of guys that have played 10 years plus irrelevant?

It's Greg's game. he can do whatever he wants. I'm just trying to give some info that helps in the decision process.
[/QUOTE]I appreciate and respect what you're trying to do. I guess I look at it the same as if I suggest we offer a "Free-for-All" period after the initial FAAB period as something that MILLIONS of fantasy football players do on ESPN, Yahoo, etc. This seems like something that works for those MILLIONS of fantasy players.

But, for some reason, since we spend more money, a Free-for-all doesn't make sense.

My data and your data are equally apples and oranges in the eyes of the select few who post on this MB. It is those 20 or so posters who are making the suggestions that affect everyone.
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

ultimatefs

Free Agency 2X Per Week

Post by ultimatefs » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:21 am

Originally posted by Just Russ:
quote:Originally posted by Just Russ:

[/QUOTE]I appreciate and respect what you're trying to do. I guess I look at it the same as if I suggest we offer a "Free-for-All" period after the initial FAAB period as something that MILLIONS of fantasy football players do on ESPN, Yahoo, etc. This seems like something that works for those MILLIONS of fantasy players.

But, for some reason, since we spend more money, a Free-for-all doesn't make sense.

My data and your data are equally apples and oranges in the eyes of the select few who post on this MB. It is those 20 or so posters who are making the suggestions that affect everyone.
[/QUOTE]No worries... I would never post something unless it was a very close match. 14 teams, PPR the same, die hards playing for a long time, top two renewal rates in the industry, 2x trans since 2001, etc..

Never ever would I mention or suggest anything a free site does :D

[ November 14, 2008, 03:22 PM: Message edited by: JohnZ ]