Hats Off To Golden Tornado

Gordon Gekko II

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:09 am

Originally posted by BillyWaz:
WOW!!! So you are taking most of the credit for any success I had in baseball???

You are reminding me of why I couldn't stand you on the boards in 2004/2005 before I actualy met you in person.

SHEESH!! :rolleyes:
i wouldn't exactly call 96th overall and 107th overall a "success".

YOU called ME out and asked me how to explain why you almost beat me overall last year. YOU called me out.

maybe you need to SHEESH yourself!! :eek:

Route Collectors

Post by Route Collectors » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:25 am

Whatever the reason it's an amazing run Darren is having so far. His hunches have paid off and I for one would love to trade places with him this season. :D

I still don't understand the word "skill" being applied to what we do here. We read other writers facts and info and and try to speculate what it all means. This game isn't littered with beat writers and talent scouts....just a bunch of opinionated football lovers. We don't really do much besides read...ponder...read some more...watch football...phone a friend...poll the audience and use our 50/50 on certain draft choices.

If everyone does the same thing where is the edge we can gain to make this a game of skill. At best is a game of good guessing.

I told Billy if we are skillful because we agree with information cultivated by others then I want the same credit as Einstein when i agree with his "theory of relativaty" ;)

[ November 04, 2009, 12:25 PM: Message edited by: Route C ]

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:29 am

Originally posted by Route C:
Whatever the reason it's an amazing run Darren is having so far. His hunches have paid off and I for one would love to trade places with him this season. :D

I still don't understand the word "skill" being applied to what we do here. We read other writers facts and info and and try to speculate what it all means. This game isn't littered with beat writers and talent scouts....just a bunch of opinionated football lovers. We don't really do much besides read...ponder...read some more...watch football...phone a friend...poll the audience and use our 50/50 on certain draft choices.

If everyone does the same thing where is the edge we can gain to make this a game of skill. At best is a game of good guessing.

I told Billy if we are skillful because we agree with information cultivated by others then I want the same credit as Einstein when i agree with his "theory of relativaty" ;) If this were Facebook...I'd hit the "like" comment. :D
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver

Gordon Gekko II

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:41 am

Route C

I believe the word “skill” has been applied (esp recently) to try and keep fantasy sports away from being lumped into “gambling”.

Btw, I liked your “poll the audience” and “50/50” jabs!!! Well done!

Gordon Gekko II

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:44 am

Originally posted by Route C:
agreed :D

Shrink Attack

Post by Shrink Attack » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:54 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko II:
quote:Originally posted by Shrink Attack:
quote:Originally posted by Jersey Dawg:
I just noticed that Golden Tornado is number 5 overall in the Classic and number 1 overall in the Primetime. That alone is pretty darn great. But... He is also number 1 overall in the WCOFF through week 8, so his run is AMAZING! Great job so far and hats off to your drafting, management and luck skills to date.

Pete Yep...this hobby is mostly luck alright.
[/QUOTE]i musta missed this one Paul. i'm guessing you're trying to jab me here.

i love when people take one instance and try and use it as PROOF that this is primarily a game of skill. was this owner ranked in prior years? where will he finish next year? Now Paul wants to chalk this up to a game of skill. As always, you are free to think whatever you want, but consider what I recently wrote in a PM to a top fantasy football gamer (no offense to anyone)…

“Success in fantasy football is based primarily on “luck”. As long as someone has an average knowledge of fantasy football, their success (on average) will almost be as good as someone who is considered an “expert”.

If you want to compare, look at Billy Waz’s success playing high stakes fantasy football. After 5 years, he’s the LIFETIME points leader in the NFFC, yet, he’s only won 1 league title and has never finished in the Top 10 at season’s end. In comparison, in fantasy baseball, Shawn Childs is widely regarded as the best player in the world. He’s won an impressive 4 league titles in 6 years and has finished in the Top 10, 4 times!!!! No comparison…luck reigns supreme in fantasy football.”

Players ONLY playing fantasy football don’t realize how much luck is involved. I understand; we ALL want to think this is primarily a game of skill. Heck, after winning the 100K in 2004, I thought it was mostly skill. Then reality set in. I was biased and looking at one instance.
[/QUOTE]That wasn't intended as a specific jab at you, Mark.

You have a player here who is winning or close to winning three separate High-Stakes National Championships, one of which is 12-teamer, the other a 14-teamer, and another has a different scoring system. These were three separate drafts against all different opponents and he's still able to dominate.

My only point is that there is skill involved here, and more skill than luck IMO if he's able to duplicate it in three different contests. Assign whatever percentage to luck vs. skill you want, but saying success in Fantasy Football is "based primarily on luck" sounds like simplistic reasoning in order to explain undesirable outcomes.
"Deserve" ain't got nothin' to do with it
---Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:15 am

Darren,

I apologize for "getting into it" on a thread which is meant to feature your accomplishments.

I just get real tired of being "the example" (by a friend nonetheless) EVERY time the luck/skill debate rears it's head.

What you are doing this year is OUTSTANDING!!! Do it again next year, and the year after that, but chances are there are certain people that will still just call you "lucky"! :rolleyes:

Gordon Gekko II

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:25 am

Originally posted by Shrink Attack:
That wasn't intended as a specific jab at you, Mark.

You have a player here who is winning or close to winning three separate High-Stakes National Championships, one of which is 12-teamer, the other a 14-teamer, and another has a different scoring system. These were three separate drafts against all different opponents and he's still able to dominate.

My only point is that there is skill involved here, and more skill than luck IMO if he's able to duplicate it in three different contests. Assign whatever percentage to luck vs. skill you want, but saying success in Fantasy Football is "based primarily on luck" sounds like simplistic reasoning in order to explain undesirable outcomes. again paul - like i posted to waz, i'm not sure what the "undesirable outcomes" you refer to are?

Gordon Gekko II

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:36 am

Originally posted by BillyWaz:
Darren,

I apologize for "getting into it" on a thread which is meant to feature your accomplishments.

I just get real tired of being "the example" (by a friend nonetheless) EVERY time the luck/skill debate rears it's head.

What you are doing this year is OUTSTANDING!!! Do it again next year, and the year after that, but chances are there are certain people that will still just call you "lucky"! :rolleyes: YOU are the LIFETIME NFFC points leader. i called you out on that. ouch, that must hurt.

most of us wish we had your track record in the nffc classic. the fact that you haven't done better come playoff time is because you've been unlucky, not unskilled.

if this game were indeed based primarily on skill, IMO you should have won more leagues and placed higher overall, no?

i think you deserve a better playoff fate than you have received to date. i'm on your side here. be proud of your accomplishments.