Quitters ruin this contest....

renman

Post by renman » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:47 am

Originally posted by Gekko:
quote:Originally posted by Renman:
Why would Snelling be removed from a lineup for a player that is listed as OUT or on BYE? Cooley is listed a "out" so Cooley would automatically be out of the lineup based on King of Queens idea. Any player listed as OUT or on BYE would be on the bench. Players that are questionable are an entirely different matter. This is designed to clean up only the most blantant examples of an owner ignoring a team and starting players who are in no way going to be in a game. Renman –
First, you don’t understand King of Queens proposal. King of Queens is saying that the Lineup Optimizer will input the highest scoring (non-bye and non IR) avg players at each position. Cooley, Westy, etc… would be added to each team’s lineup each week.

Second, concerning YOUR proposal, how would you get around this one…
An owner has GIVEN UP on the season. He has two QB’s on his roster. Matt Schaub and Derek Anderson. In Week 10 the NFFC automatically replaces Schaub (bye week) with D.Anderson. If the owner has given up, M.Schaub will remain on the bench and D.Anderson will remain in the starting lineup the REST OF THE YEAR.
[/QUOTE]I do understand King of Queens idea and I say so what?

As for "my proposal" I am not really sure I would call what I said a proposal. The "proposal" I made took all of about 4.5 seconds of thought and I am not surprised it would be easy to come up with an example like you did. I was just throwing out ideas to fuel and or start a conversation... King of Queens proposal is fine with me.

More important than ANY proposal is the fact we are having this conversation... which is all I was really going for.

Mission accomplished.

ps. I remember about 2 weeks ago or so I said that whenever this discussions comes up we have people who make DRAMATIC EXAGGERATIONS to divert attention from specific topic at hand. I see people bringing up images of "big brother" and a picture of Greg and Tom drawing for draft position and somehow saying they are really setting everyones lineup... which is something no one has ever advocated.

The dramatic exaggerations, though clever and funny, are simply diversions taking us off on tangents away from a legit issue smart fantasy football minds should be discussing. No one has ever said Greg or Tom would ever have to once even look at a lineup but these "distractions" actually lead Greg to talking about how many teams he would have to look at... which obviously no one has advocated.

The conversation is worth having... and discussing interventions regarding this issue is a worthy discussion to have even if it seems to bother some people (for reasons unknown to me).

[ November 18, 2009, 01:55 PM: Message edited by: Renman ]

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:39 am

Another contest, my opponent started Julius Jones and Michael Turner. :(
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

renman

Post by renman » Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:30 pm

Just russ,

I saw people exploding about this on the wcoff message board. Apparently a team (last week)started Peyton Hillis over Tomlinson, and Steve Smith (on bye) while Robert Meacham sat on their bench. This team was playing the first place team and had the proper lineup been started the first place team would have lost.

Instead they were given a gift win and likely won the league because of it.

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:13 am

Yeah, it makes me mad. I never want to win that way. Luckily we didn't need it. But that is irrelevant.
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

renman

Post by renman » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:37 am

Russ,

I am the same way. If I am playing and I know my opponent has a bye week player in the lineup I will contact him myself to make the change. I don't want to win that way. Sure this is about winning money... but this is also about the sensation you get when you simply win a competition that is played above board.

I get no satisfaction winning if I had an advantage that has nothing to do with the spirit of the game... It would make me feel like the Yankees.... ;)

[ November 23, 2009, 08:27 AM: Message edited by: Renman ]

KOTRAX

Post by KOTRAX » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:55 am

THE BAD THING ABOUT THIS RENMAN IT IS GOING TO HAPPEN YEAR IN AND YEAR OUT SINCE EVERY TEAM CAN'T WIN AND PEOPLE GET DISCOURAGED AND SEE NO POINT OF CARING OUTSIDE OF THE INTEGRITY OF THE GAME.

I REALLY WOULD LIKE TO SEE KJ DUKE IDEA IMPLEMENTED ABOUT THE WEEKLY PRIZE FOR THE HIGHEST SCORING TEAM EVERY WEEK.

WILL IT WORK? WHO KNOWS BUT I THINK IT WOULD BE A STEP IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:03 am

Nice photo Steve. Doesn't it look like Greg is cheating off my exam paper? :D
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

renman

Post by renman » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:59 am

Kotrax,

I don't know what the answer is. No one does. But the issue is sure problematic enough to be discussing. With the number of frustrating things about fantasy football.. that by seasons end have even the most passionate and hardened high stakes fantasy players scratching their heads and looking at the investment - reward balance... the last thing the NFFC (or any high stakes fantasy event) needs is yet another thing that could frustrate someone away from high stakes fantasy football.

I have seen people FLIPPING OUT over this issue. Even if this issue was brought up on draft day and a reminder/challenge was mentioned explaining the importance of managing the team (no matter how things go) to do your part to hold up competitive integrity, I would say it was an improvement.

I personally like an automated system where on Tuesday all players listed on BYE or as OUT get put on the bench for the highest averaging viable option. Everyone messes with their lineup all week long and adjusts things as they see fit. The select few who quit on their team and league will at least have players destined to score zero benched for, if nothing else, a warm body.

KOTRAX

Post by KOTRAX » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:25 am

YEAH THAT IS A DECENT IDEA BUT LETS SAY THAT WARM BODY HAPPENS TO BE MATT STAFFORD YESTERDAY. I AM SURE ONLY 5% OF AMERICA (IF THAT) STARTED HIM.

THEN THAT WOULD EVEN BRING UP A BIGGER PROBLEM WITH OWNERS SAYING "I LOST TO AN PICK THAT A OWNER WOULD HAVE NEVER PLAYED."

TRUE THE EXAMPLE I USED IS EXTREME BUT THE ONE TIME IT HAPPENS WE WILL BE BACK TO SQUARE ONE AGAIN.

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:50 am

A. I don't like automatic lineups.

B. Incentivize owners to win each week within their league over the last 7 weeks of the season and there will be far fewer owners not setting lineups and not picking up players. I typically don't provide guarantees, but for this I will.

(Charge an additional $100 per main event team and offer 100% payback on those funds with a $200 weekly high score prize per individual league in the form of a fanball credit for weeks 7 thru 13).

[ November 23, 2009, 03:53 PM: Message edited by: KJ Duke ]