Next $150 Slow Draft League Is NOW SOLD OUT!

RiFF

Post by RiFF » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:28 am

Originally posted by felixflamingo:
Slowdrafts aren't designed for you to sit around and wait for your pick...You queue up some guys in the order which you want them, then you go about your business and check back once a day.

Some people sign up for these BECAUSE of the 10-hour timeclock,
It probably wont take a month, last year longest one I was in was only 24 days.I disagree completely with this outlook on slow drafts. Yes, of course, everyone has lives and things to do. But when you sign up for one of these you should be taking other people into consideration and be able to normally check in on a periodic basis during the course of the day. If you can only check in once a day as you suggest, you really shouldn't enter. And if you know you won't be able to check in for an extended period, at some point during the draft, have the courtesy to alert league mates via the league chat.

With your approach, the draft you are referring to only took 24 days because your league mates weren't as unresponsive as you may have been. If everyone in the draft had your approach one of these drafts would take a couple months. You might not be as sanguine with your approach if all other 13 league mates apprroached it in a similar manner. Or maybe you would be fine with that.

These are immensely more enjoyable, for most people, if there is a nice flow to the draft....versus having to wait 8-10 hours for one or two teams whenever their turn arrives.

As others have suggested maybe two types of slow drafts could be offered.....one with an 10 hour daytime clock and another with a 3 or 4 hour clock. That way people with your approach could take all the time you want.....and the other 90% of us wouldn't have to deal with it.

The shorter clock would really work well if you could predraft each round seperately.

I'm really not finding fault with your approach, because as you point out...it is a slow draft. But I do believe the vast majority of people don't believe the 10 hour clock is meant to be taken literally. It's there in the event, that if sometime during the draft, you aren't able to check in periodically, for whatever reason, you'll be covered.

joetreff

Post by joetreff » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:39 pm

What I meant was once a day is plenty if you are queuing guys up and put yourself on autopick. With 4 picks to go you only have to rank 3 or 4 guys, put yourself on autopick and check back later in the day to do it again and thats 2+ rounds a day.

FYI- next week will be absolute torture for you guys...are you really going to snag Daniel Thomas in the late 4th when you have 10 hours to see if Bradshaw signs with Miami? people are going to milk the crap out of it...

Erok

Post by Erok » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:26 pm

free agency will not begin for another week.

Draft #5 better be over by then or close to it.

Getpaddled

Post by Getpaddled » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:15 am

just get the phone number from the guy behind and in front of you and leave a friendly text....
Greg Dietzler AKA Letter Pusher
Fantasy Football Genius & FPA supporter
Twitter: @Getpaddled