NFL 2008 "Pick'em Share Pool"

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:34 am

KJ, I think you can have vigs included in the pool. I'll look into that one. Parlays are an option there too. I don't want to make it too complicated. Players normally want things as easy as possible to explain, and easy as possible to do. But the vigs are an easy add-on to this type of event. I think that may be a popular vote to add on next year.
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:38 am

Originally posted by Diesel:
KJ, I think you can have vigs included in the pool. I'll look into that one. Parlays are an option there too. I don't want to make it too complicated. Players normally want things as easy as possible to explain, and easy as possible to do. But the vigs are an easy add-on to this type of event. I think that may be a popular vote to add on next year. Parlays just make it a lottery; I think straight betting with the vig is a better skill contest.

stormola

Post by stormola » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:43 am

Agree on parlays being a lottery no fun
Agree on there should be a vig

Disagree GLY would be wiped with vig . I think a good quick math number is 5% of the total handle would be lost with vig . GLY would be around 1500.

Could be completely wrong on all of the above , except the parlay

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:06 pm

I don't like the parlay option either. I think they give odds on multiple bets. That's like betting football tickets, if any of you have seen those. If you choose 4 games with the spread correctly, you win 10-1 odds...etc...

I'll look into the vig. It will be EXACTLY like wagering with a bookmaker, without losing your real $1000...Next season.

BLACKHAND

Post by BLACKHAND » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:33 pm

Originally posted by stormola:
Agree on parlays being a lottery no fun
Agree on there should be a vig

Disagree GLY would be wiped with vig . I think a good quick math number is 5% of the total handle would be lost with vig . GLY would be around 1500.

Could be completely wrong on all of the above , except the parlay vig is 10%. 110 for 100 bet
THIS IS THE BUSINESS WE HAVE CHOSEN

GOD Loves You

Post by GOD Loves You » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:37 pm

What would be the purpose in adding the Vig? Isn't this usually a fee that goes to the bookie...so they can "make something" by providing their services? Does somebody need to "make something" here or are we just wanting to penalize people EVEN more for losing?? IMO, there's no reason to add anything, if a person wants to bet every single game, they shouldn't be penalized.

Can it be any simpler?? Here's $1,000....bet away...whomever is left standing with the most $$$ at the end is the winner. Whomever is the winner is showing their skill. If you add in any outside variables, to me, that takes away the skill.

It's common sense to bet on the 1pm games, take your winnings and then bet on the 4pm games, take your winnings and bet on the Sunday night game and then take all of the winnings and bet on the Monday night game.

BTW, if you did have the Vig this season, the contest wouldn't even be close right now. I've wagered a lot of money that I wouldn't have if I had to "pay" if I lost. I'm sure the same can be said about a few other people. Heck, I wouldn't have bet again after I hit 10,000.

I want the "Bizarro Vig" added so we gain even more when we win. :cool:

Seriously, Marc, keep it as is. Here's $1,000, here's the lines, have fun!
FAITH IS NOT BELIEVING THAT GOD CAN....
IT IS KNOWING THAT HE WILL

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:15 pm

Patrick, I'll take any opinions from the players...I'll make a decision next season, but I'll hear all sides of it.

kapefear

Post by kapefear » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:25 pm

On the verge of trying to start a COLLEGE BOWL MARATHON run just like DIESEL'S pool,I don't see the reason for the VIG......I was tied going into last week and made a FOOLISH bet after knowing STEVEN JACKSON was out and lost by the hook,or 1/2 point. If it isn't broken then don't fix it...I am looking for people to join this pool and are looking for suggestions,whatever everyone likes we will roll with it........Keep it coming....

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:26 pm

Originally posted by GOD Loves You:
What would be the purpose in adding the Vig? Isn't this usually a fee that goes to the bookie...so they can "make something" by providing their services? Does somebody need to "make something" here or are we just wanting to penalize people EVEN more for losing?? IMO, there's no reason to add anything, if a person wants to bet every single game, they shouldn't be penalized.

Can it be any simpler?? Here's $1,000....bet away...whomever is left standing with the most $$$ at the end is the winner. Whomever is the winner is showing their skill. If you add in any outside variables, to me, that takes away the skill.

It's common sense to bet on the 1pm games, take your winnings and then bet on the 4pm games, take your winnings and bet on the Sunday night game and then take all of the winnings and bet on the Monday night game.

BTW, if you did have the Vig this season, the contest wouldn't even be close right now. I've wagered a lot of money that I wouldn't have if I had to "pay" if I lost. I'm sure the same can be said about a few other people. Heck, I wouldn't have bet again after I hit 10,000.

I want the "Bizarro Vig" added so we gain even more when we win. :cool:

Seriously, Marc, keep it as is. Here's $1,000, here's the lines, have fun! The reason to have a vig is to make it to make the outcome realistic. As is, its like a paper stocktrading contest - the outcomes arent very realistic without transaction costs.

Also, it rewards the guys that are right most of time over the guys that just make a ton of bets. You're like a daytrader Patrick!

kapefear

Post by kapefear » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:43 pm

So your saying you would not bet $1100 to win $1000 in a pool because of the VIG....