Let's Have A Fun Discussion About Fantasy Football Scoring

KenGill

Re: Let's Have A Fun Discussion About Fantasy Football Scori

Post by KenGill » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:55 pm

One simple change I would make: missed FG's are -3 points and missed extra points are -1. With most kickers being almost automatic these days -- a -3 would really punish a team that started the wrong kicker. Figure, a missed FG puts the opposision in much better shape to score when they take over. A -3 makes it much more likely that the team with this kicker loses their week.
I never lost a game. I only ran out of time. Bobby Layne
Kid....if you're going to make it in this league, you're going to have to learn to drink. Bobby Layne

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:46 am

I know that was brought up before but I don't believe we ever heard anything back. But it would be nice to designate a backup player for each starter. So if Arian Foster was on my team and right before kickoff he is declared inactive then my backup player would automatically go into the lineup.

One of my problems last year was that I had so many teams and if there was a late scratch I had trouble finding all of the places fast enough in which I had to change out a player. It sure would help out guys in lots of leagues and make it to where you could be possibly doing something else right before kickoffs instead of watching fantasy news.

Wayne

Captain Hook

Post by Captain Hook » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:37 am

KenGill wrote:One simple change I would make: missed FG's are -3 points and missed extra points are -1. With most kickers being almost automatic these days -- a -3 would really punish a team that started the wrong kicker. Figure, a missed FG puts the opposision in much better shape to score when they take over. A -3 makes it much more likely that the team with this kicker loses their week.
Let me be the first to vote against this
Hard enough to deal with some kickers but to punish any of them for a bad snap or ineffective line play is definitely wrong.

Bad enough we don't get points much less get any taken away.

DonnyG.

Post by DonnyG. » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:13 am

Coltsfan wrote:I know that was brought up before but I don't believe we ever heard anything back. But it would be nice to designate a backup player for each starter. So if Arian Foster was on my team and right before kickoff he is declared inactive then my backup player would automatically go into the lineup.

One of my problems last year was that I had so many teams and if there was a late scratch I had trouble finding all of the places fast enough in which I had to change out a player. It sure would help out guys in lots of leagues and make it to where you could be possibly doing something else right before kickoffs instead of watching fantasy news.

Wayne

I would second this notion.

BLACKHAND

Post by BLACKHAND » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:43 am

KenGill wrote:One simple change I would make: missed FG's are -3 points and missed extra points are -1. With most kickers being almost automatic these days -- a -3 would really punish a team that started the wrong kicker. Figure, a missed FG puts the opposision in much better shape to score when they take over. A -3 makes it much more likely that the team with this kicker loses their week.

dont like it either. a 55yd try at end of half cost you 3 pts. no thanks , bad enuf hail mary at end of half cost you. lol
THIS IS THE BUSINESS WE HAVE CHOSEN

eliasond

Post by eliasond » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:30 pm

I am also in favor of the designated backup idea. In addition to the usual issues of "questionable" players (which you can somewhat prepare for), there have also been a couple times that a player has all of a sudden gotten inactivated for violating a team rule right before the game. I would hate for that kind of thing to make a difference in a high stakes contest. I am in favor of any rule that de-emphasizes random chance and makes sure the team with the best players gets rewarded. Daren.
Daren E
NFFC Charter Member
3-Time Las Vegas Auction League Champion (2004,2009,2015)
2-time Live Las Vegas Classic League Champion

CALI CARTEL

Post by CALI CARTEL » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:19 pm

I read a suggested kicker scoring system from another FFOC player, I kinda liked it and it makes sense...

Since kickers get 0.1 per yard above 30, how about taking away 0.1 per yard on misses?

Fantasy Points = [ (YD x 0.1) - 6 ]
*Any miss over 60 yards is 0 points (the formula would result in positive fantasy points)

So negatives would awarded like this:
57 yd miss = -0.3
50 yd miss = -1.0
43 yd miss = -1.7
34 yd miss = -2.6
18 yd miss = -4.2 (max negative you can receive on a single miss)

At least the longer misses won't sting as much, but if you shank a short one, it's gonna hurt a little more. You could always cap the negatives at -3 or something also.

CoMoHusker

Post by CoMoHusker » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:29 pm

All my home leagues give minus three pts for missed FG's under 40 yards. This seems to work out well.
Go Big Red!

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:34 pm

Coltsfan wrote:I know that was brought up before but I don't believe we ever heard anything back. But it would be nice to designate a backup player for each starter. So if Arian Foster was on my team and right before kickoff he is declared inactive then my backup player would automatically go into the lineup.

Wayne
I happen to really like this idea. Any rule that allows us more freedom is a good one.
We have contingency bids in FAAB, why not contingency starters for our lineups.

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:47 am

Putting in a back up player in case your starter does not play is a great idea, and has been brought up for a few years now. I have used this back in the late 90's with a league that was MUCH smaller than STATS, so it could easily be done here.

I agree with others that the losing of -3 for field goals is not something I would like to see. Under 40 yarders I could live with, but like Frank said, nothing worse than being penalized for a hail mary at the end of the half, and 50+ yard attempts would also fall into that category.

I think Glenn Schroter's idea of the "progressive" loss of points is fantastic. Nothing worse than a few years ago when Tony Romo threw 5 INT's (may have been 4) against Buffalo on a MNF, and he still scored over 25 fantasy points. :roll:

Everything is works for me! :D