Suggestions For 2013 NFFC Classic

JETS SB

Re: Suggestions For 2013 NFFC Classic

Post by JETS SB » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:23 pm

ForLoveOfTheGame wrote:I don't have any problem getting into the playoffs with the current format so it's worse odds for me. I have a team that got 5th in Classic and lost to the 4th place team by 1.5 points. As soon as you let 4 teams in then the following year that'll happen to a few teams and then we'll have to have a discussion about letting 5 teams in.
You also have 6 teams that made it into the Classic playoffs :o .... nice going... wouldn't it be nice for you if the prize was $200,000. But for the rest of us on this planet, I think we can come up with something that appeals to a larger audience.

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:26 pm

Sandman62 wrote:That's why I suggested not arbitrarily trying to let a 4th team in (or a 3rd when H2H isn't top-2), but instead just let in any teams within a close-range percentage of the last points-based team that made it. So whether it was the 2nd or 3rd high scorer, however many other teams were within a close "bubble" range would also make it. It could mean 4 teams, or even 5 or 6 if there were enough who were close enough to the last team that they pretty much deserved it as much as that last points-based team.
Agreed, I think criteria that allow for wildcard teams when warranted by tight races is an idea that can work for all types of leagues that have multi-week total-pt playoffs.

JETS SB

Post by JETS SB » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:32 pm

kjduke wrote:
Sandman62 wrote:That's why I suggested not arbitrarily trying to let a 4th team in (or a 3rd when H2H isn't top-2), but instead just let in any teams within a close-range percentage of the last points-based team that made it. So whether it was the 2nd or 3rd high scorer, however many other teams were within a close "bubble" range would also make it. It could mean 4 teams, or even 5 or 6 if there were enough who were close enough to the last team that they pretty much deserved it as much as that last points-based team.
Agreed, I think criteria that allow for wildcards teams so playoff teams are expanded only when warranted by tight races is an idea that can work for all types of leagues that have multi-week total-pt playoffs.
If you look at my proposal thread... I wasn't proposing automatically letting a 4th team in. I proposed allowing a 4th team in when the H2H team was not in the top 3 in points (allowing the #3 pts team in), which lets a handful of people in, then also allowing the 2nd best H2H team in, when the top 3 don't include both the 1st and 2nd H2H leaders (2 teams tied at 10-3 would allow both teams in regardless of points), which lets another handful in.

There are so many ways we can talk about, but if we just allow a wild card at 15% or increase it to 20%, that really doesnt solve the problem, in my mind.

ForLoveOfTheGame

Post by ForLoveOfTheGame » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:48 pm

JETS SB, I never said that Classic would be a $200,000 grand prize, I don't see that happening, I said that I thought Primetime would be next year. It appears to me that 12 team leagues is what the masses want. Funny to me because I was die hard 12 team leagues then realized in Classic the points are more spread out so I like it more! And I'm ALL FOR the top 3 points teams making the playoffs. I don't think a H2H team should be able to finish 9th or 11th in points and win $3,000 AND a shot at $4,000 more AAANNNDDD a shot at $75,000... that's STRAIGHT CRAZY to me

I signed up for a $75,000 grand prize with a realistic shot and I'm thrilled with that and how it worked out... I see no problem with the format... like I said in this thread or another, I had a team finish 3rd in points and not get in once, put up huge scores in 14-16 and won some money in the consolation bracket, felt like I won what I deserved. Yet I do understand the owners who have been 3rd in points but not gotten in. That's a H2H problem to me. You should have to finish in the top 5 or 6 of total points to win with H2H other wise you won a lot of money with a shot at more based on luck

Sandman I believe I liked your proposal but honestly I've read a ton of suggestions this week for stuff and some has bled together, if you know where it is can you post it here?

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:58 pm

You guys are knocking yourselves out on simple rules proposals. I can figure that out to hopefully take care of all deserving teams.

I was hoping for something special, like WE MUST HAVE A $100,000 GRAND PRIZE. Or get back to 18 man rosters. Or host a special Classic party in Las Vegas with special side offerings or prizes. Something I hadn't thought of yet; not just 3rd place total points in each league are guaranteed a Championship Round spot. I'm on that.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:03 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:You guys are knocking yourselves out on simple rules proposals. I can figure that out to hopefully take care of all deserving teams.

I was hoping for something special, like WE MUST HAVE A $100,000 GRAND PRIZE. Or get back to 18 man rosters. Or host a special Classic party in Las Vegas with special side offerings or prizes. Something I hadn't thought of yet; not just 3rd place total points in each league are guaranteed a Championship Round spot. I'm on that.
How about a 10-year owner only draft! :mrgreen: Could we get enough in Vegas to fill a Classic?

ForLoveOfTheGame

Post by ForLoveOfTheGame » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:33 pm

Greg, how about Sara Jean Underwood hosts all Classic drafts next year? I'd sign up for every league... but to be totally fair I might do that anyway ;)

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:02 pm

kjduke wrote:
Greg Ambrosius wrote:You guys are knocking yourselves out on simple rules proposals. I can figure that out to hopefully take care of all deserving teams.

How about a 10-year owner only draft! :mrgreen: Could we get enough in Vegas to fill a Classic?
I'd be up for that.....and how about some "kickback" for those owners, Greg?

A 10 year "thanks for the thousands of dollars you spent", draft? 100% payback?

:D

mattjb

Post by mattjb » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:04 pm

You must have a $100,000 Grand Prize.

The $75,000 was a turn off with the $150,000 available in PrimeTime.

RedRyder

Post by RedRyder » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:47 pm

mattjb wrote:

You must have a $100,000 Grand Prize.

The $75,000 was a turn off with the $150,000 available in PrimeTime.
I agree with Matt, it's a perception thing. Perception being a key word here, I'm sure you know where I am going with this...and please don't compare me to anyone...3RR. Great for those hardcore and vet players, but the general masses (ie. those not playing in the Classic) like what they know. Personally, when I look at new contests or different leagues, I do not want to muck around with new concepts. Is 3RR hard to understand, no. Do you have to think about a strategy other than the one you might be use to, yes. Sometimes folks do not want to invest their time into learning something new. Even if we (people that have played with it) know it's benefits (or not). Some may "perceive" it as too taxing to learn for whatever reasons. Just sayin'.
@RedRyder