KDS

CoMoHusker

Re: KDS

Post by CoMoHusker » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:29 am

Whether it be one month, one week, 48 hours, or 24 hours, getting our KDS spot doesn't guarantee anything. In all the years I've done FFB I'm yet to partake in a draft that went as planned and lined up with all the hours of research, planning, and mock drafting that I put in, regardless if I knew my draft spot. No matter what, you will have to adjust as the draft unfolds. Are there unexpected things that could happen and move players up and down a little, sure. Could there be another idiot NFL star that decides to kill someone one week before the main event weekend starts, sure. But honestly, after the 3rd preseason game there is very little major movement of players on my board.

I agree with Route C that this is a topic that should be discussed and ruled upon well before July. I enjoy getting my spot in advance and honestly think one week would be ideal. If that ever changed to 48 hours, I'd adjust. I guess I just don't view the KDS in current state as much of an issue.

Good news is the MB is starting to heat up which means the season is quickly approaching :D
Go Big Red!

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:41 am

CoMoHusker wrote: I agree with Route C that this is a topic that should be discussed and ruled upon well before July. I enjoy getting my spot in advance and honestly think one week would be ideal. If that ever changed to 48 hours, I'd adjust. I guess I just don't view the KDS in current state as much of an issue.
Seeing that they have always got the main event draft spots out about a week in advance, and never said they would be given out 24 hours-48 hours in advance, I don't think they can "change policy" at this point in time anyhow. Far too many signups, that know how it has always been done here.

Just my opinion.

Getpaddled

Post by Getpaddled » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:47 am

CoMoHusker wrote:Whether it be one month, one week, 48 hours, or 24 hours, getting our KDS spot doesn't guarantee anything. In all the years I've done FFB I'm yet to partake in a draft that went as planned and lined up with all the hours of research, planning, and mock drafting that I put in, regardless if I knew my draft spot. No matter what, you will have to adjust as the draft unfolds. Are there unexpected things that could happen and move players up and down a little, sure. Could there be another idiot NFL star that decides to kill someone one week before the main event weekend starts, sure. But honestly, after the 3rd preseason game there is very little major movement of players on my board.

I agree with Route C that this is a topic that should be discussed and ruled upon well before July. I enjoy getting my spot in advance and honestly think one week would be ideal. If that ever changed to 48 hours, I'd adjust. I guess I just don't view the KDS in current state as much of an issue.

Good news is the MB is starting to heat up which means the season is quickly approaching :D
I see both sides, I see neg/pos of both early and late KDS.

If I had a vote, Im w/ Husker, 1 week beforehand would be ideal.

Send this topic out in the next news letter and seek feedback
Greg Dietzler AKA Letter Pusher
Fantasy Football Genius & FPA supporter
Twitter: @Getpaddled

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:20 am

To be fair, Chad did bring this subject up months ago on the baseball and football boards, saying this is a more important issue in football. And each year this game changes and we adjust our procedures to make the game better. Going fully electronic in the live drafts is something we just announced, too.

We want to make KDS as valuable to ALL owners as possible this year. If that means tweaking when we announce picks slightly this year, we'll consider it. We always felt that getting your draft picks 7-8 days beforehand was very, very important and still much, much later than other contests gave them randomly. If making that 5-6 or 4-5 days or lesser is what the majority of consumers tell us they want, we'll consider it. And for the highest dollar drafts, making the draft announcements as close to draft day as possible makes even more sense.

So let's have an intelligent talk about it and be smart about the decision. We're listening and we can send this out in next week's email for further debate. Thanks all and have a Happy Fourth of July.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Route C

Post by Route C » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:00 am

Greg Ambrosius wrote:To be fair, Chad did bring this subject up months ago on the baseball and football boards, saying this is a more important issue in football. And each year this game changes and we adjust our procedures to make the game better. Going fully electronic in the live drafts is something we just announced, too.

We want to make KDS as valuable to ALL owners as possible this year. If that means tweaking when we announce picks slightly this year, we'll consider it. We always felt that getting your draft picks 7-8 days beforehand was very, very important and still much, much later than other contests gave them randomly. If making that 5-6 or 4-5 days or lesser is what the majority of consumers tell us they want, we'll consider it. And for the highest dollar drafts, making the draft announcements as close to draft day as possible makes even more sense.

So let's have an intelligent talk about it and be smart about the decision. We're listening and we can send this out in next week's email for further debate. Thanks all and have a Happy Fourth of July.
Having been around from the beginning I remember when we used to get our slots on Monday the week of the draft. I think as early as year 2 or 3 owners started requesting an earlier date for getting them. I don't have a perfect memory but I think the majority of owners were on board with this.
Owners are different now so maybe the views are as well but if you're going to change something this late in the game it had better be a clear majority and it should be an official vote. I personally think it's risky to become a game that so willingly changes policy this late into the season. I appreciate the ownership listening to our thoughts but at some point you lock in the season and table the discussion until the following year.
We've always done it that way. I wanted bigger rosters in the Classic in year 2. How long did it take to get rosters increased..5 years or so?
The point is the contest has been established for 2013. Why are we even discussing this as if it could change this year...I don't get it!

Cocktails and Dreams

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:30 am

Route C wrote:Chad
I don't know you... but according to my good friend BWazz you are a really nice guy. The problem for me is I just don't get that impression on the MB. Actually I find it difficult to even consider some of your thoughts because of the way you present them.
Consider this:
1) This thread is about changing a policy literally minutes before we hit peak draft season. That's what the off season is for. You couldn't possibly just now be realizing that this policy doesn't suit you.
2) Rather than present an idea and then respect the comments of others you argue opinions that don't line up with your presentation reminding us what a pain in the ass this is for you...bad form!
3) Then you go to the place nobody should go to on this MB...you talk about how they do it "across the street" then give the old "I'm trying to decide where to spend my $$$" plug. Dude I'm sorry but that's a very juvenile form of bullying IMO. You did the same thing last year over FAAB deadlines.
If it was my contest I'd tell you this protocol has been in place since last year and if you feel need to play somewhere else then do so.

I could actually be flexible on this subject if it were presented better and if it was done at the right time of the year. I'm just being honest with you here man. If Billy says you're a good dude then you probably are but you need to prove that in print as well as in person. Good luck this year.

Yeah you are correct, you don't know me. And you also didn't take the time to understand things properly. Not a very wise combination.

1. I have brought it up well before now and was told it would be considered and addressed. It wasn't. So you are badly mistaken there.
2. Looking to see when all the deadlines are on a message board post and having to do that again and again, rather than a uniform time the are auto ran is a pain in the ass. I didn't say anyone's opinion was a pain in the ass so you need to comprehend things a bit better as you are badly mistaken on what I called a pain in the ass.
3. Talking about how other companies do things should never be done? I don't agree with you in any way shape or form. If something is done better or worse somewhere else then I think it should be discussed. Perhaps you miss the posts where I point out what the NFFC does the best? Like the live drafts etc. This is a matter of opinion but I don't agree with you. If Greg and Tom prefer no rules are ever discussed in this manner, I will be happy to abide by that. As for Free agent rules you speak of, you damn right I would cut back at any company that would require two full fledged waiver periods per week. You call it bullying, I call it obvious facts of the matter. If you don't understand why I would cut back if there is twice as much work, I can't help you. But in the end it obviously didn't matter as they went with proper free agency as I saw it.
4. I thought I explained this, but I don't have Nelson as a partner this year. I don't have superhuman ability to be where he was drafting last year in addition to where I was drafting. So you damn right my spending has to come down this year as I don't have the ability to do as many drafts. So I am most certainly going to pick and choose based on the set of rules etc that I like the best. That isn't bullying, that is the truth. If I did have the availability, I would play them all as much as possible like always. There are all good companies and have interesting things about them. But I am shrinking spending drastically, not by choice, but out of necessity. So unless you take time to understand things, I would not call me a bullier. I doubt Greg and Tom would consider me one either. I can guarantee you I will be cutting back somewhere. And not ever liking KDS because it has to be done too early may indeed be a big deciding factor. Maybe the bigger leagues will be closer and I focus more on those here. Either way I need to get it figured out soon to give companies ample time to replace me in events I cannot do, so hopefully there is a quick conclusion.

I suggest taking the time to understand first or you look like what you just accused me of. Or at least be correct about something in the post at least. Going on the attack and firing blanks the entire post doesn't work too well. But I don't know you. I am sure you are great.

Good luck to you as well this year.
Last edited by Cocktails and Dreams on Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cocktails and Dreams

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:30 am

Still think 48 hours is perfect. Plenty of time to run through possibilities with your selection WITH CURRENT INFORMATION. You get to set your KDS with current information and have enough time to figure out what to do WITH CURRENT INFORMATION. Seems like a perfect compromise.

THEICON

Post by THEICON » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:31 pm

I like a week it gives you time to make your draft board that way I can sleep on my flight or drive.

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:33 pm

THEICON wrote:I like a week it gives you time to make your draft board that way I can sleep on my flight or drive.
:cry:

BLACKHAND

Post by BLACKHAND » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:40 pm

sorry glenn , you have to put two crying faces down. the more i think bout it the more i like it after the 3erd preseason game. or a day or two after.
THIS IS THE BUSINESS WE HAVE CHOSEN