Week 1 Start/Sit?

David U Kennedy

Re: Week 1 Start/Sit?

Post by David U Kennedy » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:56 pm

Diesel wrote:I have TY Hilton in and Smith on the bench in that league.

I have Hartline in the other league.

So we agree on that one.

I am going to go down to the wire with the Thompkins call. It's going to be hard for me to pull Mike Williams from my flex spot.
Hilton is going to be a top 15 WR this year. Hes a no brainer. I don't care if the Colts list him as the 3rd WR. He is the best thing besides Luck on that offense.

dabird777

Post by dabird777 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:56 pm

Sabretooth wrote:Who do I start at 2nd RB? mendy or law firm? cincy at chi and AZ at STL.
I'd probably go Mendy. Bears are a lot tougher against the run than the Rams are. Rams secondary will have their hands full with Fitz, Floyd and Roberts and will not help in run support

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:58 am

Sandman62 wrote:
Diesel wrote:One more since I'm on a roll.

I'm going with Mike Williams here but am I crazy for considering benching him for Kennbrell Thompkins for flex?
Not at all. Thompkins will face BAD corners and Brady will throw a ton.
FWIW:
• All 3 CBS FF analysts have Kenbrell above Williams this week (in PPR rankings): 6, 2 and 30 spots.
• ESPN, whose rankings are NON-PPR, has Kenbrell 3 spots ahead.
• And in NFFC ADP, Williams was ahead of Kenbrell 85-94 in Primetime/Online - but that includes Online drafts all the way back in early summer. Filtering that down to just the last 2 weeks, Williams' advantage was just 1 spot ahead. Filtering to just one week, and Kenbrell's ahead, 83-89. (Thanks again Greg/Tom for the ADP filters! 8-)) In Classic ADP, Kenbrell's actually ahead, 81-85.

So a case can certainly be made that, for the season, Thompkins may be the better receiver. Looking to this week's matchups... despite BUF's terrible run D, [per CBS] in Brady's past seven games against them, he's averaged 296 passing yards with 20 TDs and six Ints. Contrast that with Freeman, who on top of missing one of his best offensive lineman this week (Nicks), faces a Jets D that only allowed seven QBs to throw for multiple TDs last season, including Tom Brady twice.

I must admit though to a bit of a Kenbrell-mancrush. :oops: As I always do once each summer, Ralph Palmieri and I went to Patriots training camp. The first hour or so, we purposely didn't review a roster. We knew there were a few rookie WRs, but we wanted to assess them without prior knowledge of their draft status. We kept seeing one of them get off the line much faster than the others, spinning cornerbacks around and cutting in on slants - and Brady hitting him. Going deep and Brady trusting him enough to throw it out there for him to run under. We noticed too that he was usually the one running across from Amendola in 2-receiver sets. And that when they went 3-wide, Amendola moved to the slot and, most of the time, Kenbrell stayed out wide, with Dobson sprinkled in. Over and over and over. We were impressed.

We thought maybe he was just trying harder, being undrafted. And that when the lights went on (preseason games), Dobson and Boyce would try harder and outplay him. That didn't happen either.

I think the part that's tough to get past is Kenbrell's undrafted status. But in my mind, that's not that different from another up-and-coming star WR who was drafted in last year's supplemental draft: Josh Gordon. This year, everyone seems ok with him, now that he's proven himself. I think in a few weeks, people might feel the same about Kenbrell. He obviously realized the opportunity in front of him - to be Tom Brady's #2 despite two drafted WRs in front of him - and he seized it.
Last edited by Sandman62 on Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

MGB MARTY

Post by MGB MARTY » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:46 am

Fiex question take the 16.7 points from another man crush guy I have in Marlon Brown or throw Ben Tate in flex in 14 teamer.
While we are at it Eli or Vick in 12 teamer
Leaning to keeping the points and though a Cowboy fan,Eli does well against them. Not sure what the new offense in Philly will do
Thanks guys
Marty

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:14 am

MGB MARTY wrote:Fiex question take the 16.7 points from another man crush guy I have in Marlon Brown or throw Ben Tate in flex in 14 teamer.
While we are at it Eli or Vick in 12 teamer
Leaning to keeping the points and though a Cowboy fan,Eli does well against them. Not sure what the new offense in Philly will do
Thanks guys
Marty
Compared to a timeshare RB like Tate, I'd take the 16.5 from Brown.

At QB, maybe err on the side of caution and wait and see how Chip Kelly's offense translates to the NFL?
Or toss a coin. :?

While you're right that Eli has had success vs. DAL, he certainly didn't last year:

CBSSports.com
Giants quarterback Eli Manning will be looking to bounce back against the Cowboys in Week 1. Last season, Manning failed to pass for more than 215 yards in both meetings. He completed 36 of 62 passes for 405 yards with one touchdown and one interception combined in two games against the Cowboys last year.

Plus Eli's looked terrible this preseason, albeit without Cruz, who should play tonight, but possibly still not 100%.

Vick has a great history vs. WAS, but not in the new run-oriented offense he's now in:

CBSSports.com
Vick didn't play against the Redskins last season as Nick Foles was the starter in both games. That said, Vick has won his last three starts against Washington with 905 passing yards (301.7 per game), eight touchdowns and just two interceptions over that span. He's also rushed for 137 yards with two touchdowns on the ground in those three wins.

In his last Monday night game against the Redskins, Vick went 20 for 28 for 333 yards with four touchdowns and no picks. He also rushed for 80 yards in the game and two scores.

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:40 am

mattjb wrote:These are the decisions i'm mulling over...

Bradshaw or Richardson.

Myers or Cameron

Flex 1 (non PPR league) KThompkins/G Bernard/B Tate/J Nelson/C Givens
More ammo for DRich, matt:
[Rotoworld]: Cardinals RE Calais Campbell suffered a quadriceps injury on Friday and is listed as questionable for Sunday's opener against the Rams.
Campbell was a full participant Wednesday and Thursday before missing Friday's session altogether. If not for J.J. Watt, Campbell would be in the discussion as the best 3-4 defensive end in the game. His loss would be a big one. If Campbell were to miss, some combo of Ronald Talley, Matt Shaughnessy, and Frostee Rucker would fill in. It'd be a boon to Daryl Richardson's Week 1 outlook.

BLACKHAND

Post by BLACKHAND » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:44 am

need one wr and one flex out of this.

kenbrell
stevie johnson
lance moore
lamar miller

which te

rudolph
meyers
celek
THIS IS THE BUSINESS WE HAVE CHOSEN

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:03 am

BLACKHAND wrote:need one wr and one flex out of this.

kenbrell
stevie johnson
lance moore
lamar miller

which te

rudolph
meyers
celek
"Look Danny, Kenbrell's my new toy too and I'm gonna share the love. Plus he's bigger than you. Ok?" :D

But seriously, I'd sit Johnson with his rookie QB and lack of other options for the Pats D to pay attention to.
Moore is a strong consideration too, but he's still the 3rd or 4th option for Brees, whereas Kenbrell is Brady's 2nd option. Close call between those two, and I couldn't blame you for going with the more proven commodity this week. (Note: this will likely be the last week you'll have to make that decision, once Kenbrell announces his arrival today. :P)
Miller's tempting, as he has breakaway potential from anywhere on the field. But it may be a good idea to wait a week and see if he gets vultured at the goal line by Thomas. Plus the Browns are going to KILL the 'Fins this week. :lol:
So I'd go with Kenbrell and Moore at WR and flex.

At TE, I think Eli will try to establish chemistry with his WRs before Myers; I'd wait a week on him. So it comes down to chasing catches (Celek) or TDs (Rudolph). Both games will likely be shootouts (or at least MIN will likely be playing from behind). I suspect Ponder won't get past his first read though (Jennings), whereas Vick is more capable of finding Celek. I'd roll with Celek and plan on 6/70 and a possible TD.

mattjb

Post by mattjb » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:03 am

Sounds like Roddy might not play. :?

afv

Post by afv » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:04 am

Sandman62 wrote:
BLACKHAND wrote:need one wr and one flex out of this.

kenbrell
stevie johnson
lance moore
lamar miller

which te

rudolph
meyers
celek
"Look Danny, Kenbrell's my new toy too and I'm gonna share the love. Plus he's bigger than you. Ok?" :D

But seriously, I'd sit Johnson with his rookie QB and lack of other options for the Pats D to pay attention to.
Moore is a strong consideration too, but he's still the 3rd or 4th option for Brees, whereas Kenbrell is Brady's 2nd option. Close call between those two, and I couldn't blame you for going with the more proven commodity this week. (Note: this will likely be the last week you'll have to make that decision, once Kenbrell announces his arrival today. :P)
Miller's tempting, as he has breakaway potential from anywhere on the field. But it may be a good idea to wait a week and see if he gets vultured at the goal line by Thomas. Plus the Browns are going to KILL the 'Fins this week. :lol:
So I'd go with Kenbrell and Moore at WR and flex.

At TE, I think Eli will try to establish chemistry with his WRs before Myers; I'd wait a week on him. So it comes down to chasing catches (Celek) or TDs (Rudolph). Both games will likely be shootouts (or at least MIN will likely be playing from behind). I suspect Ponder won't get past his first read though (Jennings), whereas Vick is more capable of finding Celek. I'd roll with Celek and plan on 6/70 and a possible TD.

First missed blocking assignment the undrafted rookie rides the bench while Vereen and Edelman/Boyce shine.