Is It Time to Move the 2nd FAAB Period to Saturday?

kjduke

Re: Is It Time to Move the 2nd FAAB Period to Saturday?

Post by kjduke » Fri May 20, 2016 2:48 pm

Sandman62 wrote:I still agree with Greg's position from almost four years ago on dropping players who played in Thurs. games:
http://nffcforums.stats.com/viewtopic.p ... 40#p181709

If a player on your bench went off for 30 points on Thurs, then unless it was a do-or-die game for you that week, it's unlikely you'd drop him, right? But if he laid a goose egg, you might wanna try a different kicker. Now, what allowed you to arrive at that conclusion? Seeing the result of his game that week!

So I still feel that you shouldn't be allowed to see one player's result in a week, then drop him if he sucked, and pickup another player in his spot, and even START the new player that same weekend!?! That equates to using the same roster spot (albeit not in your lineup) twice in the same week, no? :?
A) So what??? You're fearful of someone having a miniscule advantage because they had a Thursday night player and you didn't?
B) On the flipside, it may have been their intent to drop him regardless of how he played, and now they're punished because he played on Thursday and is locked.

I'd much rather err on the side of giving owners the ability to manage as best they can; we all have the same opportunity to take advantage of it when our guys play in the early game.

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Fri May 20, 2016 2:53 pm

I agree with the others that since we are doing 2 free agent WW's then you should be able to drop a player that played Thursday night.

But back to the single WW period. The only thing that changes from a FF strategy perspective is that you would have to look ahead to next week's Thursday night game when you do your Friday WW and ask yourself if you are safe with who you have since there wouldn't not be another WW prior to that game. As long as you look ahead then you can take into account that you can't 100% count on those players to play next Thursday. It's an even playing field and fair to everyone. The only ones who will complain are those who didn't bother to look. Am I wrong about that???

So what we get in return for this very slight inconvenience of looking ahead to next week's Thursday night game and making your WW picks based on no more WW's before that game. You get: Only one WW period to mess with each week, you get real information on injuries rather than this ridiculous guessing that we have to do now, you get a few nights off from FF during the week rather than it dominating your whole life during the season. You get MORE ENTRIES as you offer something different and far better than your competitors. You hopefully make more money. And we can play in more leagues as it's only one night a week. We can start free agency during Thursday nights game and put the finishing touches on it Friday if needed.

The only reason we don't do it this way is because some people are afraid that they may not have a player in their lineups the following week due to an injury or something that keeps that player out of Thursday nights game. And once again - this can all be taken into account during the FRIDAY waiver wire. You simply adjust your WW based on the chance that somebody may get injured before next Thursdays game. The chances of this happening are very slim yet the consequences of everyone having to deal with the current solution is VERY dramatic. I just don't see how I"m wrong here.

Wayne

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Fri May 20, 2016 2:56 pm

So you pickup a player on Wed in case the guy in front of him doesn't go Thurs and you can use your new guy. But that doesn't happen, so you drop him on Fri for another guy that you get to do the same wait-n-see on Sunday? To each their own, but to me that's churning a single roster spot twice in the same week.

You're right though that everyone would have the same chance to do this throughout the year. But we could say that about EVERY rule - and that alone doesn't make all rules viable, IMO.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri May 20, 2016 3:09 pm

RedRyder wrote:One Friday FAAB period a week is what I favor. I'd play more leagues like that and it would set you apart from your competitors.

I do think a key component would be the ability to drop a TNF player that is not locked in your starting line-up. Ie. a kicker who is on his bye week and is on your bench. Probably too much for programmers to code.

Whatever you do, I know this much is true, you will never satisfy everyone on this topic!
That's for sure Jules. But you know, when we changed to two FAAB periods it seemed like we had no choice if every player was available to be played every week. Unfortunately we found that two FAAB periods isn't perfect, either.

I'd like to hear more feedback on this because I agree that it could be a plus to consider Friday-only again. Maybe we've over-analyzed the effects of doing two FAABs and going back to 1 FAAB would make the hobby more fun again. Everyone would have to look a week ahead to make sure they got the Thursday free agents that they wanted. Again, nothing is perfect.

Keep the feedback coming. It's an interesting suggestion.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Fri May 20, 2016 3:11 pm

Sandman62 wrote:So you pickup a player on Wed in case the guy in front of him doesn't go Thurs and you can use your new guy. But that doesn't happen, so you drop him on Fri for another guy that you get to do the same wait-n-see on Sunday? To each their own, but to me that's churning a single roster spot twice in the same week.

You're right though that everyone would have the same chance to do this throughout the year. But we could say that about EVERY rule - and that alone doesn't make all rules viable, IMO.
Again, you didn't use him ... so who cares?

For me it is more prevalent that I have an end of the bench stash guy who plays on Thursday, then I get a late injury which I need to fill for the weekend and my only viable drop is the guy who I didn't start on Thursday ... and I'm F'd ONLY because that guy played on Thursday. Far better to let people manage their roster and not be punished/forced to hold a player just because he played early in the week.

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Sat May 21, 2016 8:20 am

I agree totally that not being able to drop a Thursday player on Friday is the worst. I don't see much downside at all with going to just Friday (except for not being able to drop a player in the Thursday game).

Although cutline allows you to drop a Thursday player, the player you picked up couldn't be on your roster till the FOLLOWING week. This is a colossal pain, IMO.

Obviously if a starting RB goes down in the Thursday game, everyone wants his backup. Everyone would be on common ground in obtaining this player.

I don't see a downside of going to just Fridays, and also feel it would give some more "uniqueness" to the NFFC and probably a few more entries as well. I personally would like a deadline on Saturday, but understand the apprehensiveness by some to do so. As a bonus, a "Friday only" FAAB period would be a cinch for the programmers too. :D

BLACKHAND

Post by BLACKHAND » Sat May 21, 2016 9:54 am

Would love a friday-only faab. More information and less work. In a perfect scenario we would be able to drop or add players from Thursday night. Sounds like a good move on all ends.
THIS IS THE BUSINESS WE HAVE CHOSEN

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sat May 21, 2016 9:59 am

BillyWaz wrote:I agree totally that not being able to drop a Thursday player on Friday is the worst. I don't see much downside at all with going to just Friday (except for not being able to drop a player in the Thursday game).

Although cutline allows you to drop a Thursday player, the player you picked up couldn't be on your roster till the FOLLOWING week. This is a colossal pain, IMO.

Obviously if a starting RB goes down in the Thursday game, everyone wants his backup. Everyone would be on common ground in obtaining this player.

I don't see a downside of going to just Fridays, and also feel it would give some more "uniqueness" to the NFFC and probably a few more entries as well. I personally would like a deadline on Saturday, but understand the apprehensiveness by some to do so. As a bonus, a "Friday only" FAAB period would be a cinch for the programmers too. :D
I'm not against the one FAAB per week idea, but we'd need more feedback from owners on this subject first. It's a big move and one that shouldn't be taken lightly, but I do think that we've seen that since the NFL went to a full schedule on Thursday Night that the two FAAB periods have been more burdensome than we all first thought. Let me explore this a little more and see if there's a quick way to get feedback from more NFFC members.

The change to one FAAB period seems simple enough from a programming standpoint. I'd have to talk with IT on expanding the availability of Thursday players if Friday was the only day for FAAB. I don't even remember how we did it before, do you? Were those players locked for the week? Jog my memory if you can.

I see plusses and minuses here, but I'm open to suggestions and feedback. Keep 'em coming.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Money

Post by Money » Sat May 21, 2016 10:41 am

I actually like the system the way it is. Lets face it Friday is a minimal day for FAAB right now. There are a fraction of the pickups and it's simply a matter of going through and seeing if someone was missed or correcting a roster blunder made on Wednesday. The latter is one of my specialties.

If it had to go to just one day I am STRONGLY opposed to Saturday. The month of September with Baseball in it's most critical month would suck the life out of me. To have all weekends devoted to the NFL isn't for me. I for one, would certainly participate less with a Saturday FAAB. I say leave it the way it is.
Joe

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Sat May 21, 2016 12:12 pm

I still prefer the "Wednesday-for-Thursday-game(s)-only FAAB", and then full-FAAB on Friday. However, I understand the drawbacks there.

Given the alternatives, Friday-only would be the best solution.