Silver Bullet payout......revolutionary???

Route C

Re: Silver Bullet payout......revolutionary???

Post by Route C » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:02 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:56 am
Route C wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:31 pm
This is an even simpler way. Teams qualify for playoffs as follows:
1) H2H
2) points
3) points
Just like Primetime and Classic.

Of the 3 qualifying teams league prizes are paid as follows

$4000 highest points
$2000 next highest points
$500 next highest points

This way we keep the H2H winner the same as we've always done yet we reward the highest scoring teams of the playoff qualifyers in the order of points scored. Is this doable? No resets or playoffs for leagues prizes in this structure.
The initial intent of the playoff format here was to end the regular season after 13 weeks, pay the highest point teams the most money and to limit the number of Championship Round teams.

I think this plan is a better format, with one addition. I think we should add the 15% Wild Card rule to make sure that good teams aren't left out of the Championship Round if they are in a loaded league. We didn't have that rule in place this year and two teams were left out of the Championship Round that would have been in there.

So the biggest question here is whether the third highest points team should be allowed into the Championship Round if it has more points than the h2h champion. If so, this would have added ELEVEN more teams. If not, we again leave out a possibly worthy team, but at least that team did get paid prize money ($500).

It's a worthy discussion. Thanks for the input here Jeff.
Yes definately allow the 3rd place points teams in regardless. Also the 15% rule is good. I also want to thank everyone for such a civil discussion. Sometimes emotion from a disappointing season gets into these threads and it's hard to make progress. All the posts have been written well and really added to the discussion of this topic. Well done everyone.

eliasond

Post by eliasond » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:22 pm

The last 2 posts missed an important aspect of the Route C proposal. The 3rd place pts team in each league would not necessarily get league prize money. The league prize money would be awarded to the 3 qualifiers (H2H and next 2 in pts) in the order of how just those 3 teams finished in pts. The H2H champion could be 8th in pts and they would get 3rd place league money. It has merit as presented.
Daren E
NFFC Charter Member
3-Time Las Vegas Auction League Champion (2004,2009,2015)
2-time Live Las Vegas Classic League Champion

Cocktails and Dreams

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:44 pm

Route C has a good idea, if people don't want playoffs for the funds etc. I like how the primetime is personally. It brings a little randomness of record into play, which can make things more exciting, but not too much where the last team in is on record like this contest was this year. There is another contest out there that goes points record points record and the same crap happens there all the time. It is a lower buy in tourney and they may want it this way to keep bringing back people. This is for a bit too much money to have it that way IMO.

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:48 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:56 am
Route C wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:31 pm
This is an even simpler way. Teams qualify for playoffs as follows:
1) H2H
2) points
3) points
Just like Primetime and Classic.

Of the 3 qualifying teams league prizes are paid as follows

$4000 highest points
$2000 next highest points
$500 next highest points

This way we keep the H2H winner the same as we've always done yet we reward the highest scoring teams of the playoff qualifyers in the order of points scored. Is this doable? No resets or playoffs for leagues prizes in this structure.
The initial intent of the playoff format here was to end the regular season after 13 weeks, pay the highest point teams the most money and to limit the number of Championship Round teams.

I think this plan is a better format, with one addition. I think we should add the 15% Wild Card rule to make sure that good teams aren't left out of the Championship Round if they are in a loaded league. We didn't have that rule in place this year and two teams were left out of the Championship Round that would have been in there.

So the biggest question here is whether the third highest points team should be allowed into the Championship Round if it has more points than the h2h champion. If so, this would have added ELEVEN more teams. If not, we again leave out a possibly worthy team, but at least that team did get paid prize money ($500).

It's a worthy discussion. Thanks for the input here Jeff.
Jeff's suggestion is more consistent with other NFFC lges and a way better option.

It is silly that I am knocked out of playoffs by a team that (1) wasn't the best H2H team in the league, and (2) scored 150 points less than me.

No idea this stupid rule was in place until I checked league to see I was out of the money.
Last edited by kjduke on Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:25 am

eliasond wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:22 pm
The last 2 posts missed an important aspect of the Route C proposal. The 3rd place pts team in each league would not necessarily get league prize money. The league prize money would be awarded to the 3 qualifiers (H2H and next 2 in pts) in the order of how just those 3 teams finished in pts. The H2H champion could be 8th in pts and they would get 3rd place league money. It has merit as presented.
Correct Darren. I did not read Jeff's playoff qualifier correctly the first time. I like it more now and it's fair.

We still could leave a third place highest points team out of the playoffs, which happens in other contests as well, but adding the 15% Wild Card qualifier will help. Again, this year that would have added two teams to the current field of 45. Both changes would make this contest better than we currently have it. Thanks for the feedback and ideas guys. Now let's grow this contest next year!!
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:05 am

kjduke wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:48 pm
No idea this stupid rule was in place until I checked league to see I was out of the money.
... and would be in first place overall right now. That this rule was even in place should be an embarrassment to the NFFC after we abolished this type of situation probably ten years ago in the other main events.

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:19 pm

Ouch KJ! That sucks.

I just read this entire thread again and I agree with what everyone has said. I actually missed the Silver Bullet this year but will probably play next. I"ll let others figure out the prize money but H2H can't be 3rd on the list as to how you qualify.

Wayne

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:00 pm

Coltsfan wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:19 pm
Ouch KJ! That sucks.

I just read this entire thread again and I agree with what everyone has said. I actually missed the Silver Bullet this year but will probably play next. I"ll let others figure out the prize money but H2H can't be 3rd on the list as to how you qualify.

Wayne
So for the final result here, I finish 3rd overall in the Silver Championship round (if I was in it). The team that knocked me out of the playoff - who didn't win the H2H title and scored 150 pts less during the regular season - goes on to finish dead last in the Championship scoring another 214 points less in the playoffs.

So, a team which gets outscored by 364 points over 16 weeks wins $500, while my team wins $0 rather than $5500. Because it was decided a good idea to give the best H2H record the last playoff spot in this league concept unlike every other NFFC league for the past ten years. That. Shouldn't. Happen.

Don Draper

Post by Don Draper » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:19 am

Every event that has an overall championship round should have it incorporated into the rules that the top 15% scoring teams make the overall championship round.

It’s been that way for years and helps to take away the sting of some very good scoring teams not winning much league money