Additional 2008 Rules_Changes?

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:24 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
Greg,
also, any thought to bumping up the scoring people take from the regular season to the playoffs from 1x to 2x? i really think the regular season needs to weigh in a little more significantly.
2x would be WAY too much power given to the individual league races and then I'd hear about that. 1x has provided some great drama in the Championship Round the last few years, with so many teams in line for the $100,000 grand prize. I'm not so sure that's a bad thing.

Honestly, I think the concept that all you have to do is finish first or second in your league (easier said than done, I realize) and then you have a 1 in 55 or 1 in 57 or whatever the number ends up being of winning $100,000 is the appealing aspect of this contest. And everyone almost starts anew, with the shot of getting hot for three weeks and winning the grand prize. The 1x doesn't give a big advantage to those owners who dominated during the regular season, but as Josh Ferenc proved in 2006 it does give you just enough of an edge to win the $100,000.

I understand how some folks feel that teams that dominate from Weeks 1-13 deserve a greater edge, but should that be done at the expense of the $100,000 grand prize? If they are that dominant, then dominating in Weeks 14-16 can happen too with the small advantage they take in from the first 13 weeks. Just my opinion, for what it's worth. ;)
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:28 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
Greg,
last one, how about only paying the top 2 for the consolation playoffs and using the other funds to pay more from the champonship playoffs? The goal shouldn't be to reduce the Consolation Round payouts, it should be to increase the Championship Round payouts. I saw that post criticizing us for giving the same to the third place finisher in the Consolation Round as to the fifth place finisher in the Championship Round. Well, we obviously want to give meaningful prizes in the Consolation Round as we have 307 teams still competing for the final three weeks of the season. If anything, I'd like to bump up those prizes even more.

As for the Championship Round prizes, yeah, we'd love to bump those up and keep providing more as we grow the event. We'll do that as we get beyond 364 teams. Honestly, my next move is to get third place league prizes up to $1,250 so that we can give $5,000, $2,500 and $1,250 just like we do in baseball and then expand the overall prizes.

All in good time, my pretty, all in good time. ;)
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship

Ted's Cracked Head

Post by Ted's Cracked Head » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:58 am

I would be all for a slight increase in the entrance fee to bump up the next in line Championship round payouts. Based on 364 entries, an extra $25 per team would bring in another $9100 for those payouts without a negative affect on the players. Bump it up $100 and now your talking. For the players, that is just another 2 bucks a week you need to save to play this game.
My mama says she loves me but she could be jiving too! BB King

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:34 am

I saw that post criticizing us for giving the same to the third place finisher in the Consolation Round as to the fifth place finisher in the Championship Round. As the team that finished 3rd in the consolation this year I think it's perfect the way it is! :D

Wayne

weber7777

Post by weber7777 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:10 am

I agree with the increase to 3rd place, the only big change i really would love to see is to see have teams qualify for championship tournament based on total points regardless of what place they end up in the reg season or whether they win their LCG. After reg season, take top 60 teams in points they are in.. Period.. or worse case, take the winners of LCG and they are in then take wild cards from the rest of the pool regardless of where they end up..
Check out fantasy football blog

www.weberfantasyfootball.com

Shrink Attack

Post by Shrink Attack » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:04 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
quote:Originally posted by Tamuscarecrow:
Let's get to something more fun like a 12-team Main Event to go along with the 14-team Main Event. I would certainly enjoy 2 drafts on Saturday instead of just one. Any thought about trying this, Greg/Tom? :cool: Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!! [/QUOTE]This would be huge for me, as I would probably pass on "the other big-money event" if I could participate in two NFFC Main Event leagues.

If this is a possibility, Greg, then many of us need to know sooner rather than later before we begin signing up for other pay leagues.
"Deserve" ain't got nothin' to do with it
---Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:11 am

Originally posted by Shrink Attack:
quote:Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
Let's get to something more fun like a 12-team Main Event to go along with the 14-team Main Event. I would certainly enjoy 2 drafts on Saturday instead of just one. Any thought about trying this, Greg/Tom? :cool: Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!! [/QUOTE]This would be huge for me, as I would probably pass on "the other big-money event" if I could participate in two NFFC Main Event leagues.

If this is a possibility, Greg, then many of us need to know sooner rather than later before we begin signing up for other pay leagues.
[/QUOTE]Agreed on all. I'm working hard on all of this right now as a few folks know. This wouldn't be just adding another NFFC event, it would be in conjunction with a major media player. That's the key...and of course, the delay as I work on the details. Stay tuned. Stay tuned. ;)

But it could be one helluva day and one helluva weekend of fun!!! :D

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:25 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
quote:Originally posted by Shrink Attack:
quote:Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:

[/QUOTE]Agreed on all. I'm working hard on all of this right now as a few folks know. This wouldn't be just adding another NFFC event, it would be in conjunction with a major media player. That's the key...and of course, the delay as I work on the details. Stay tuned. Stay tuned. ;)

But it could be one helluva day and one helluva weekend of fun!!! :D
[/QUOTE]Howdy Greg!

Without giving away too much...I'm curious as to how you'd handle the regular season in a 12 team setup.

How many weeks?

If more than 11 weeks...how would you handle the extra weeks...as that is a major selling point for 14 team leagues. (the extra 2 weeks of regular season.)

I know a few ways to do it...but would love to hear your plan.

~Lance
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver

TamuScarecrow

Post by TamuScarecrow » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:48 am

Gerard and I were just throwing this around after the WCOFF draft as Gerard was still grumbling about how bad the customer service was and how he would love for Greg to do this. The fact it may happen will certainly bring a smile to his face and his return to the NFFC.
2005 NY/CHI League Champ
2006 CHI#2 3rd Place
2006 Auction Reg Season Champ
2007 TAM#2 2nd Place
2007 Auction Reg Season Champ
2009 LV#5 League Champ
2010 Auction Reg Season Champ
2011 LV#3 2nd Place
2012 LV Classic League Champ

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:48 am

Lance, 13 weeks for sure and three weeks for Championship Round. Honestly, I haven't finalized that, but I think a repeat of Weeks 1 and 2 in matchups isn't the end of the world. I'm not a fan of a league title game and I'd just run 13 regular season matchups with two teams meeting up twice randomly.

I'd love to hear your thoughts.