WCOFF bankruptcy

Tom Kessenich

WCOFF bankruptcy

Post by Tom Kessenich » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:30 am

Glenn, you're absolutely right that you have to ultimately put your trust on the line with whoever you are playing with in the high-stakes arena. Trust is a huge part of the equation and that's why Greg and I have worked so hard and will continue to work hard in terms of customer support and being responsive to questions, comments, concerns etc. that are raised by everyone who plays in our events. We take a great deal of pride in that and don't take it lightly.

No one needs to be made to feel bad for putting their trust in WCOFF. As far as protection for the players as I said before that has to come from all of us.

Those of us who work in the industry need to ensure intelligent business practices are utilized and should the potential for something improper to occur, a strong stand and approach needs to be taken.

Those who play in the high-stakes arena and those who claim to be advocates of the players need to spread the word that what happened here isn't representative of the entire industry and there remain good, honest and fun games still available and point the fantasy players in those directions.

Will that ensure 100% trust in everyone moving forward? No, but there are few things in life that come with a 100% guarantee. But I believe that's where it needs to begin. This is a great industry and there great games for all of us to play if we so desire. As long as the game operators utilize intelligent business plans the mistakes made my others in the past won't be replicated in the future.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Glenneration X

WCOFF bankruptcy

Post by Glenneration X » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:32 am

From someone who has had his trust betrayed by others in this industry, I still do trust you two. That should say a lot.

joetreff

WCOFF bankruptcy

Post by joetreff » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:40 am

You know it isn't representative of the entire industry. We (kinda) know it isn't. But with 5-6 major contests pulling this crap in 6 years and how many left? 3-4 reputable ones? FFPC, NFFC, the new CDM maybe?
It's possible the media won't see it that way...

No joke I chose NFBC originally because I was a Sports Weekly reader back in the 90's and recognized Greg's name from the original LABR drafts. I'm glad I did...

I'd love to see you guys reach out to Outside The Lines to offer your perspective. I'd put my money on them having a pretty negative story about the industry.

thegambler

WCOFF bankruptcy

Post by thegambler » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:41 am

it is a terrible thing with what happen with the wcoff. i was one of those players that was duped by dustin. i spoke to him on the phone a couple of times and we sent emails back and forth to eachother. hell, he was in my home league the last two years....him and jesse. i am guessing that was the only reason that we got paid. i burned bridges on the wcoff boards and the ffpc boards backing these guys for far too long.

i feel terrible for people like chad and tony.....to be owed that kind of money would make me nuts.

they took something that was great and turned it into a big steaming pile of crap.

i am still owed a small amount (rolled over money) but i would rather see the big boys get paid before us little guys. good luck chad and tony.....

Tom Kessenich

WCOFF bankruptcy

Post by Tom Kessenich » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:43 am

Originally posted by felixflamingo:
You know it isn't representative of the entire industry. We (kinda) know it isn't. But with 5-6 major contests pulling this crap in 6 years and how many left? 3-4 reputable ones? FFPC, NFFC, the new CDM maybe?
It's possible the media won't see it that way. That's definitely a concern. Hopefully, those not owed money who were interviewed by ESPN stressed exactly what Greg posted - that this is not an example of an industry gone bad, but rather an example of poor business dooming a great entity.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

King of Queens

WCOFF bankruptcy

Post by King of Queens » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:06 am

You nailed it, GlennX -- truly one of the best posts I have ever read on these boards. Thank you for taking the time to post what you did.

TOMDOG

WCOFF bankruptcy

Post by TOMDOG » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:13 am

Originally posted by King of Queens:
You nailed it, GlennX -- truly one of the best posts I have ever read on these boards. Thank you for taking the time to post what you did. Agreed,100%.

TOMDOG

WCOFF bankruptcy

Post by TOMDOG » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:18 am

I hope i am wrong,but my gut tells me this story will focus a great deal on the negative aspects of playing fantasy football,and not the people who got screwed by WCOFF.

Tom Kessenich

WCOFF bankruptcy

Post by Tom Kessenich » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:23 am

Originally posted by TOMDOG:
I hope i am wrong,but my gut tells me this story will focus a great deal on the negative aspects of playing fantasy football,and not the people who got screwed by WCOFF. I think the amount of money owed and those who are owed will be a primary focus of the piece. My concern is they sensationalize the story in a way which attempts to show WCOFF is an example of all that's wrong with fantasy sports as opposed to being a great industry tainted in this instance by bad businessmen.

One would hope that they at least speak with their own Fantasy staff to get a more comprehensive picture. Matthew Berry and Nate Ravitz both have experience in the high-stakes arena (Ravitz has played in the NFBC for several years and is also playing in an NFFC event this year) to provide a more accurate portrayal of this aspect of the industry.

[ December 09, 2011, 09:24 AM: Message edited by: Tom Kessenich ]
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Quahogs

WCOFF bankruptcy

Post by Quahogs » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:39 am

Well the media went after Madoff himself and the security watchdogs to an extent and didn't take down the whole hedge fund investing community
So maybe there is hope here ?