2005 NFFC Regular Season Facts

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:59 pm

Dyv, you've got questions for me on every thread I've checked tonight. I'll gladly answer this one tomorrow. But please don't tell me that you would be happy winning your league h2h title and overall points (thus winning $2,500) and still playing a three-week playoff with the next highest points team for that last $2,500. Eleven of 16 league champions accomplished what you did this year and they shouldn't have to go to a playoff to let the second highest points team get a shot at the $2,500 that they already deserved.

The only argument is should leagues that split h2h and total points have a 1 or 3-week playoff for $2,500. And as I've said, I'm not sold on the need for that. Reasons will come tomorrow.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:03 pm

A testimonial like that from William del Pilar means a lot to me. Also placing the blame on his own shoulders for not reaching the playoffs is noteworthy as well, especially on these boards. You would have just missed the playoffs had I added wild card teams to the top 10% of all non-playoff total points finishers, but I will add that for next year to make sure all of the top 10 percent finishers in total points have a shot at the grand prize.

Thanks William for all your help in promoting the NFFC for us and I know LV 6 was a tough, tough league. We hope to work with KFFL.com again next year and hopefully getting you back in this competition.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:08 pm

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
The only argument is should leagues that split h2h and total points have a 1 or 3-week playoff for $2,500. And as I've said, I'm not sold on the need for that. Reasons will come tomorrow. ohhh goodie...something to look forward to...other than seeing Rattay is out for the season
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:10 pm

Renman, congratulations on a job well done in a very, very competitive league. Yes, you held out the longest as far as officially signing up after inquiring about our event, but I knew you had the passion to compete in an event like this. I think we came through with everything we promised from an operational standpoint.

Thanks for your comments. I understand how important it is to keep every league involved and give incentive to every team every week. But I must admit that it's impossible to avoid having dead teams along the way. I thought this group did a great job of staying involved until the end, but yes some teams gave up early and allowed some owners to benefit via FAAB during the season. I will make the league prizes stronger in 2005 and somewhere down the line we'll have enough entrants to afford to add even more incentive for each league team to keep competing.

I like the group of people we have assembled here and I feel VERY good about the NFFC's future. The feedback all year long has been outstanding and trust me I appreciate all of the ideas to improve this contest/event. We won't be able to incorporate all of them right away, but if this thing evolves like I know it will, then look out. Sponsorships will allow us to add everything you've suggested and more. And that will happen with the NFFC, it's just a matter of time.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:12 pm

GG, imagine how many times those two teams could suggest "splitting the pot" during a 3-week h2h playoff. You may like that, but it doesn't do anything for me.

Dyv

Post by Dyv » Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:43 pm

Dyv, you've got questions for me on every thread I've checked tonight. I'll gladly answer this one tomorrow. But please don't tell me that you would be happy winning your league h2h title and overall points (thus winning $2,500) and still playing a three-week playoff with the next highest points team for that last $2,500. Eleven of 16 league champions accomplished what you did this year and they shouldn't have to go to a playoff to let the second highest points team get a shot at the $2,500 that they already deserved.

The only argument is should leagues that split h2h and total points have a 1 or 3-week playoff for $2,500. And as I've said, I'm not sold on the need for that. Reasons will come tomorrow. Well, the truth is I'd like the cash to be awarded within a league based on points alone if the random scheduling stays the same. But I do not believe that will happen at this time

I want to lose on the field of play if I'm going to lose. I'm only frustrated when I get NO chance to win with a good team because of some quirk. Anything else I'm generally in favor of leaving as it is.

Dyv
The Wonderful thing about Dyv's is I'm the only one!

ultimatefs

Post by ultimatefs » Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:57 pm

Originally posted by Dyv:
quote:Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:

The only argument is should leagues that split h2h and total points have a 1 or 3-week playoff for $2,500. And as I've said, I'm not sold on the need for that. Reasons will come tomorrow. Well, the truth is I'd like the cash to be awarded within a league based on points alone if the random scheduling stays the same. But I do not believe that will happen at this time

I want to lose on the field of play if I'm going to lose. I'm only frustrated when I get NO chance to win with a good team because of some quirk. Anything else I'm generally in favor of leaving as it is.

Dyv
[/QUOTE]Dave, no matter what anyone comes up with, there will always be some quirk. It's just part of the beast. Especially with FB. There's just too much randomness in every facet from the schedule to the player perfomances, to someone starting Erron Kinney because Gates is on bye and he gets 3 TD's.
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:59 pm

GG, imagine how many times those two teams could suggest "splitting the pot" during a 3-week h2h playoff. You may like that, but it doesn't do anything for me. which is better?
A) having the best team win the league via a three week playoff
B) "thinking" that you are minimizing "deal making"

regardless of what anyone thinks, non-collusive deals go on all the time, on the MB and behind closed doors. i wouldn't be surprised if there were deals within the final 32 playoff teams. are you going to cancel the current playoff format?

[ December 08, 2004, 06:05 AM: Message edited by: Gordon Gekko ]
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

renman

Post by renman » Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:33 am

greg...

first of all thanks for replying to my post that was sort of directed toward you! i know there are many here who post on this thread who all know each other. i have actually been pretty active on this board but notice at times my posts seem to go unread...lol

having said that.. i think you might have misinterpreted something i said. i was not talking about "dead teams" (assuming you are referring to teams where owners just quit on them when things go bad giving easy wins to some teams later in season)... i actually thought NO ONE in my life let that happen. what i was talking about regarding the importance of making what future owners can win from within their own leagues was the fact that some DRAFTS are easier based on that fact some drafts have some weaker owners and others have nothing but strong owners...

for instance... if someone in a las vegas league drafts a buckhalter, ricky williams, bolden (too early), or some other player that was on some fantasy football cheat sheet , but was injured prior to season and/or out for the year... OR some owner who is clueless drafts 3 QB's before taking his second starting WR it thus gives a few other owners WITHIN THAT LEAGUE a huge advantage over owners from other leagues (where the drafts were ultra competitive) for the overall prizes... thats why i think you can draw more new players in the future if they can see that they can win more from within their league, in the environment that they can control, while still having a shot at a big prize in the postseason... i can honestly say that in my draft, there was not ONE PICK that made me scratch my head.. we were done before anyone, and i was shocked by how impressive the owners in my league drafted... but i know in some other leagues there were some real "head scratching" picks that ultimately helped other owners within those leagues build stronger teams...

that is the point i was trying to make regarding how important it is to raise the ways owners can win money from within their league... maybe a smaller weekly prize for high in each league, who knows.. just brainstorming...

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:47 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
quote:Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
GG, imagine how many times those two teams could suggest "splitting the pot" during a 3-week h2h playoff. You may like that, but it doesn't do anything for me. which is better?
A) having the best team win the league via a three week playoff
B) "thinking" that you are minimizing "deal making"

regardless of what anyone thinks, non-collusive deals go on all the time, on the MB and behind closed doors. i wouldn't be surprised if there were deals within the final 32 playoff teams. are you going to cancel the current playoff format?
[/QUOTE]It's not a matter of A or B, Gordon. Without the playoff format 11 of 16 leagues had the h2h champion also finish with the most league points. To me, that suggests that a playoff isn't needed. Some guys are pushing for mandatory playoffs for every league and I'm not for that.

Now, if you're proposing a playoff in a situation where the h2h champion wasn't high points, that's possible. Right now I've chosen to award the h2h champion more than total points and not use a season-ending playoff. You don't agree. The "deal making" possibilities over 1 week or 3 weeks don't turn me on, but that's not the reason why we don't have league playoffs. I'll say it again, I believe someone who beats 13 other teams h2h deserves to be crowned the league champion and deserves the highest prize.

In fact, I'm going to use your team as an example in my explanation to Dyv. I've gotta do some research first, so come with me on this one.