NFL Networks Top 100 Players Of All-Time

cdavault

Post by cdavault » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:33 am

Originally posted by GK:
...one final note here from me here and I'm done...an excellent case could absolutely be made for Lawrence Taylor being the BEST NFL player of all-time!...that kat changed the game of football as it was known up until 1981...I've NEVER seen a guy to this day among the MANY MANY GREAT NFL football players do what he did at their respective positions...LT was simply one of a kind - a one man wrecking crew - he really was LITERALLY unstoppable!...we all KNOW about his noteriety and popularity for record-breaking sacks for a Linebacker but he was NOT a one dimensional football player at all!...I used to watch him play Right OLB and make tackle after tackle on a RB that was running a right end sweep!...the dude would run across 50 yards of gridiron from sideline to sideline and beat EVERYONE ahead of him (including the corners nd safties) who had a 30 yard head start on him on defense and make the damn tackle!...LT was one of a kind who's sheer ability may not EVER be surpassed imho...GK by that criteria we cannot forget "the Bullet" Bob Hayes. who completely changed the way the game is played. the zone D was created just for stopping him.

kentucky

Post by kentucky » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:19 am

Originally posted by Popcorn Maker:
[/qb]by that criteria we cannot forget "the Bullet" Bob Hayes. who completely changed the way the game is played. the zone D was created just for stopping him. [/QB][/quote]

yeah, he was one of my favorites as a youngster, but he was one of a kind. other speedy track stars attempted to duplicate Bullitt Bob with little success. Jim Hines and Renaldo Nehemiah come to mind.
bill cleavenger
"BIG BLUE NATION" ... We don't rebuild, we reload!!!

Jim Wiseheart

Post by Jim Wiseheart » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:25 am

Not much wide receiver love in the top 100. I only see these in order:

1 Jerry Rice
9 Don Hutson
36 Raymond Berry
38 Lance Allworth
65 Randy Moss
71 Paul Warfield
87 Crazylegs Hirsch
92 Michael Irvin

I never saw him play, but Raymond Berry as third best WR of all time seems high. A lot of good ones not on the list. Like him or not, I think TO should be on the list. Swann is probably penalized for short career.

I thought maybe Antonio Gates would be in top 100. Tony Gonzalez is ranked 2nd among 5 TE on the list.

Kind of surprised to see a guard so high at number 24 (John Hannah) sandwiched between Elway and Marino, but I don't remember him very well.

All in all a pretty good list.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:54 pm

I've been waiting to drop this cool statistic for the last couple of weeks and just didn't have a good place to put it. This is as good as any.

My son brought home a Packers' historical book a few weeks ago and I was reading about the 1960s team and discovered an NFL record that I believe will NEVER be broken. It's quite amazing, actually.

Paul Hornung is a Hall of Famer who didn't make the NFL's Top 100 list but was still one of the game's greatest players. As most folks know he was the star tailback of the Packers' early championship teams and he also was their field goal kicker in 1960, 1961 and 1962. In fact, he set the NFL scoring record in 1960 with 15 rushing and receiving TDs, 15 field goals and 41 extra points (176 points).

In 1963, Hornung and Alex Karros were suspended for the entire season for gambling. Hornung's career was never the same after that and in fact he set this one dubious record the season after his return.

Hornung rushed for 415 yards in 1964 and had 513 yards receiving, but he struggled mightily as a kicker. That year Hornung set an NFL record in missed field goals, a record that will never be broken. Amazingly, Hornung missed 26 FIELD GOALS, hitting just 12-of-38!!!! Lombardi must have had the patience of Job as Hornung attempted a league-high 38 field goals and hit only 31.6% of them. I don't think we'll ever see another NFL coach let a field goal kicker miss 26 field goals before yanking him!! Right?

Kind of interesting. Just thought all of us fantasy owners would get a kick out of that stat. :D

[ November 11, 2010, 06:55 PM: Message edited by: Greg Ambrosius ]
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:08 pm

Which was the best role for Alex Karras? George Papadapolis, or Mongo?

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:23 pm

Paul Hornung's 26 misses in a season is incredible -- wasn't aware of that one.

Here's another classic:

Uwe Von Schamann, 1984 Dolphins
9-for-19 FGs
66-for-70 XPs

A kicker with 70 extra-point attempts that doesn't crack 100 points scored is just INSANE!!! Easily the lowest FG/XP ratio in NFL history.