FAAB for next year

tommypickles

FAAB for next year

Post by tommypickles » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:20 pm

one way to avoid the kicker situation that happened with dan carpenter is to change it to team kicker. so if you had carpenter this week he would automatically be replaced with graham....it also helps if your stupid enough to draft a kicker that is'nt even playing

TR

FAAB for next year

Post by TR » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:32 pm

Originally posted by Glenneration X:
Sorry, still don't get it. For those with Carpenter, to be getting a zero at kicker because there's 4 days between waivers and the game seems a bit unfair. To be spending a grand plus and in some leagues multiple thousands, to leave something to chance when it can be so easily avoided seems kind of short sighted to me.

We all spend so much time preparing for the drafts, managing our teams, posting on the boards, debating rules, working FAAB, setting lineups......to look for an easier path on something that allows luck to put all that other hard work to waste is so contradictory. I like the current 1 waiver period system. As far as Carpenter goes, that's the risk u take not backing up your kicker. I have seen teams who made the overall playoffs not pick up a backup kicker and take zero there when their kicker gets injured...that's their own fault and makes me think it was luck that got them to that position since u bring up luck here...

Ry's Guys

FAAB for next year

Post by Ry's Guys » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:54 pm

Lots of good opinions here. Everybody has their own reasons for this and that. After reading everyones posts I'm still not sure 2 FAAB periods in one week isn't the way to go.

I also got caught with Carpenter on one of my teams. Some teams I have the luxury of carrying 2 K's. Unfortunately this team is not one of them. It is easy to say that's what you get for carrying only one K. I get it. But if you have a team with multiple injuries and bye weeks you have no choice but to drop a backup K. Somebody mentioned this and I have played in a league where you get the Miami K regardless of who it is. Kind of a neat idea since most teams aren't drafting a K until round 13-16 anyway.

If we are going to have one FAAB period and it is on Wednesday I strongly recommend we take a look at expanding rosters. Wednesday waivers is a bitch when you've got injuries. I hate to beat a dead horse here but we seem to be in agreement here that we would like to take the luck out of the equation as much as possible.
Wednesday waivers = Lack of information
Lack of information = % of Luck increases

I personally wouldn't be opposed to a Wednesday waiver just for the players in the Thursday game and then a Friday waiver for the rest of the NFL. Wednesday waivers wouldn't be too much work. I put a lot of time into my free agents and would go about my normal procedures.

But again if we were to do a Wednesday only FAAB please expand the rosters!!!
Pat Sorge

Rog

FAAB for next year

Post by Rog » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:42 pm

usually there is only 1 thursday game a week.Why should we have to make choices on the other 14 games on wed. when there is no info that is readily available on injuries,benchings or late in the week news.On average how many players are affected by 1 game when it comes to start and sit.your starting qb,rb,wr,te,k dont play on thursday you try to pick someone up on friday.Most of the leagues are deep where as if a player is not starting somebody already has the backup on a roster.You might be able to find a #2 or #3 rec. every now and again.But how much is reflected on 1 game on thursday.I vote to keep it on Friday except thanksgiving.it is much easier to have your team prepared for 1 thursday game the following week than to have to roll the dice on the other 14 games earlier in the week.

Glenneration X

FAAB for next year

Post by Glenneration X » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:01 pm

Originally posted by TR:
quote:Originally posted by Glenneration X:
Sorry, still don't get it. For those with Carpenter, to be getting a zero at kicker because there's 4 days between waivers and the game seems a bit unfair. To be spending a grand plus and in some leagues multiple thousands, to leave something to chance when it can be so easily avoided seems kind of short sighted to me.

We all spend so much time preparing for the drafts, managing our teams, posting on the boards, debating rules, working FAAB, setting lineups......to look for an easier path on something that allows luck to put all that other hard work to waste is so contradictory. I like the current 1 waiver period system. As far as Carpenter goes, that's the risk u take not backing up your kicker. I have seen teams who made the overall playoffs not pick up a backup kicker and take zero there when their kicker gets injured...that's their own fault and makes me think it was luck that got them to that position since u bring up luck here...
[/QUOTE]Holier than thou much? If someone had two kickers and both got hurt on Thursday after waivers, would you say that's what you get for not backing up your backup kicker? To me that's a ridiculous statement and not the point.

I'm sorry, 4 days between the waiver deadline and game day leaves too much to chance during the most critical part of the season. Next year it will leave too much to chance for the entire season. Still, it will be easier to manage and that's what counts, right?

Cocktails and Dreams

FAAB for next year

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:27 pm

Originally posted by Bullgod:
Lots of good opinions here. Everybody has their own reasons for this and that. After reading everyones posts I'm still not sure 2 FAAB periods in one week isn't the way to go.

I also got caught with Carpenter on one of my teams. Some teams I have the luxury of carrying 2 K's. Unfortunately this team is not one of them. It is easy to say that's what you get for carrying only one K. I get it. But if you have a team with multiple injuries and bye weeks you have no choice but to drop a backup K. Somebody mentioned this and I have played in a league where you get the Miami K regardless of who it is. Kind of a neat idea since most teams aren't drafting a K until round 13-16 anyway.

If we are going to have one FAAB period and it is on Wednesday I strongly recommend we take a look at expanding rosters. Wednesday waivers is a bitch when you've got injuries. I hate to beat a dead horse here but we seem to be in agreement here that we would like to take the luck out of the equation as much as possible.
Wednesday waivers = Lack of information
Lack of information = % of Luck increases

I personally wouldn't be opposed to a Wednesday waiver just for the players in the Thursday game and then a Friday waiver for the rest of the NFL. Wednesday waivers wouldn't be too much work. I put a lot of time into my free agents and would go about my normal procedures.

But again if we were to do a Wednesday only FAAB please expand the rosters!!! I completely disagree about less information creating higher percentage of luck.

Cocktails and Dreams

FAAB for next year

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:31 pm

Originally posted by Glenneration X:
quote:Originally posted by TR:
quote:Originally posted by Glenneration X:

[/QUOTE]Holier than thou much? If someone had two kickers and both got hurt on Thursday after waivers, would you say that's what you get for not backing up your backup kicker? To me that's a ridiculous statement and not the point.

I'm sorry, 4 days between the waiver deadline and game day leaves too much to chance during the most critical part of the season. Next year it will leave too much to chance for the entire season. Still, it will be easier to manage and that's what counts, right?
[/QUOTE]Two waiver wires a week will create less business for NFFC, and I do think that is what counts.

Eddiejag

FAAB for next year

Post by Eddiejag » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:37 am

Originally posted by tommypickles:
one way to avoid the kicker situation that happened with dan carpenter is to change it to team kicker. so if you had carpenter this week he would automatically be replaced with graham....it also helps if your stupid enough to draft a kicker that is'nt even playing We do this in our home football league for the playofs.
If you draft a kicker or a qb you get the team backup's as well.I rember a couple times Volek coming in with some big games as a backup.This really helped when picking the playoff rosters as if a qb or kicker was questionable it didnt stop you from making your pick as you had protection.
NFBC (NY) auction league champion!
Bad(ass)Angels

He who steps to me in 2005, you better realize you dont have enough jive..... TURKEY!

Glenneration X

FAAB for next year

Post by Glenneration X » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:01 am

Originally posted by Cocktails and Dreams:
Two waiver wires a week will create less business for NFFC, and I do think that is what counts. Chad, you can't say that for certain. Personally, I don't believe how many waiver periods would be the deciding factor for too many players when determining their contest of preference. As a priority, I'd have to believe it would rank well below payout percentage, playoff format, league format, history with the contest, and mostly reliability and trust.

Of course, it's all conjecture on both of our parts. However history tells us it won't be too much of a factor. After all, WCOFF had two waiver periods and that in itself didn't keep too many from playing their contest, including you. ;)

[ November 20, 2011, 07:02 AM: Message edited by: Glenneration X ]

Glenneration X

FAAB for next year

Post by Glenneration X » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:21 am

I'm going to make one more comment on this and then having had my say, I'll let others carry the debate if they so choose.

It seems that the most significant factor for most that are against a 2nd waiver period is the time factor. Believe me when I say that's a factor for me as well. I spend upwards of 50-60 hours a week on work, have three kids under the age of 4, have multiple other hobbies, interests, and responsibilities, and like many others here run multiple fantasy football teams as well as multiple fantasy baseball teams. The last thing I want is a more time consuming FAAB process.

However, the point I am trying to make is that the extra waiver period does not add any time whether you have one or 100 teams. Any player you feel is worth a bid and can fit on your team would have been researched and bid on during the Wednesday FAAB period. That player would already be on your team or on someone else's. Anyone left would have already been determined by you as not worth a bid.

As long as there's a rule in place stating that noone dropped on Wednesday can be picked up on Friday, there's no reason to even look at the waiver pool again.

So the Friday period would be solely for late injury news, either to cover for an injury to one of your players or to bid on a player whose circumstances have now changed due to a late injury. I can't see this being a common occurance or one that would take much time at all. Yet it keeps the news current and the ability to react to late news available.

Seriously where's the time factor? This week only the Carpenter owners would have been searching and only for those teams he was the kicker. It would have taken about 30 seconds per team to bid on the available kickers and only on the teams where he would have needed to be replaced. Who else would have been bidding on Friday?