Week 6 Top 30

Post by TradeStar28 » Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:46 pm

Play the hand you are dealt !

Amen brother
2012 - FI$HER - Flying High Again

renman

Week 6 Top 30

Post by renman » Tue Oct 19, 2004 5:21 pm

i will chime in again.. i will not profess to have been really paying close attention to this topic/debate...

but after reading the post by KJDUKE i now completely see the point being made. this is my first ever venture into a high stakes league... and when i found out i drew the #1 pick i was sick. for a few days i felt like i had a very small chance of winning as my entire season really was dependant on a couple early picks. was not happy about my large investment. i also did not like the idea of sitting 27 selections between my picks... i could never get in on runs or project what other owners around me might do based on how long before it was my turn again. now i am doing well (6-0) so i am not complaining about how things have gone for me...

but i would have liked to pick my draft spot, or at the very least.. my approximate draft spot. this might grow entires as some people might be afraid to invest in this kind of high stakes event fearing (in their own head as it has been proven one can win from any draft spot) he might draw a bad pick and be beaten from the start.

instead of a complex bidding system.. why not just have all owners, immediately before the draft throw their team name into a hat with the draft position they WANT on it? numerous owners would get the spot they wanted. and the owners who picked the same spot then have some sort of coin flipping (or some other simple function) game to determine who picks where... at the very least these owners will draft right at or near where they ideally wanted to. this would take 5 minutes prior to a draft and could make everyone happy.

am i missing something here? could it be that simple?

JerseyPaul

Week 6 Top 30

Post by JerseyPaul » Tue Oct 19, 2004 5:28 pm

Originally posted by Liquid Empire:

Amen brother Agreed. So far I've outbid you for Droughns and for the NYG defense. I suspect those moves will put me in a position to overtake you (pointwise) by the end of the regular season.

Last week I scored 157.5 with Harrison on a bye against your 114.

[ October 19, 2004, 11:29 PM: Message edited by: JerseyPaul ]

TradeStar28

Week 6 Top 30

Post by TradeStar28 » Tue Oct 19, 2004 5:42 pm

I personally feel that there is no need to change the random selection of the draft order to a bidding process. I am confident to win either a high-stakes league or a "home league" from any position I get. The ingredients of a championship in fantasy football consists of a well thought out game plan and strategy, a consistent and well rounded draft, key Waiver wire pickups, good scheduling from the fantasy football Gods, and a WHOLE LOTTA LUCK!

Now to totally invalidate this whole wacky premise of FAAB for bid positions....let me give everyone some insight :

Prior to the season, a large majority of fantasy football participants read Internet websites, fantasy magizines, and prior year stats to determine the worth of players. We are constantly reminded about ADP's and VBD's when it comes to the draft.

So what is my point you may ask?

A large majority of drafts are pre-dertermined by information available on the web and print. Everyone views the mock drafts and some participate in them as well. For the most, the people who play in fantasy leagues are force fed and brain washed as to where players should be selected. Just like the stock market, the current price on equities is determined by future value. The same applies with fantasy football. How many mock drafts and websites did everyone see before our draft that said that the following six RB's (Priest, LT2, Ahman, Deuce, Shaun Alexander, and Clinton Portis) SHOULD be the first guys off the board? MANY DID! Ofcourse there were arguements of which order they should be taken but there was really no exception to this force-fed rule of thumb. Where was Culpepper in the top 5 ? Not to be found? How come? Because the self-proclaimed Guru's didnt have it in their crystal balls ?

So the bottom line is this -

Anyone can draft any player at any position if available. The right combinations to win are there. Throw out the ADP's and stop counting on VBD's.

Looking at my draft sheet in NY LEAGUE #6...

Jersey Paul coulda easily went with Manning in the first round, B. Westbrook in the 2nd, Joe Horn or Moulds in the 3rd...so on so forth.

Instead of worrying too much about your draft position, teams should worry more about what they "really" feel about a players potential for the upcoming year instead of reading about it online from people who have the same knowledge as you do.

Like I said, you can win from any draft spot.

TradeStar28

Week 6 Top 30

Post by TradeStar28 » Tue Oct 19, 2004 5:46 pm

Originally posted by JerseyPaul:
quote:Originally posted by Liquid Empire:

Amen brother Agreed. So far I've outbid you for Droughns and for the NYG defense. I suspect those moves will put me in a position to overtake you (pointwise) by the end of the regular season.

Last week I scored 157.5 with Harrison on a bye against your 114.
[/QUOTE]Your point is? Read my prior post and realize that you shoulda taken the guy who was throwing Harrison the ball....and picked a guy like R. Wayne or B. Stokley in much later rounds.

I have a feeling you were force-fed the Marvin Harrison pick by some website that said he was consistent, solid as ever, blah blah blah no lose situation safe pick.

In regard to passing me in points....when that happens I will congratulate you like the mensch I am.

Good luck

kjduke

Week 6 Top 30

Post by kjduke » Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:17 pm

Originally posted by CC's Desperados:
Nobody has an edge in the World Series of Poker, only the edge your ability gives you.

Last I checked, every hand is random in poker. This has nothing to do with Fantasy Football. It sound like you have your own rules, maybe you sounds run your own league. In poker, you are not excluded from using a particular strategy before the game begins. Everyone can play each hand as they please, in FF this would be very similar to an auction-style draft ... and nothing like a straight draft with random slot selection.

[ October 20, 2004, 12:39 AM: Message edited by: KJ Duke ]

kjduke

Week 6 Top 30

Post by kjduke » Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:38 pm

Originally posted by JerseyPaul:
For me the issue is clear. To get mass appeal does not require simplicity, it requires that every player feel that he can win as he sits down at the drafting table. [/QB]Very good insight, Jersey.

kjduke

Week 6 Top 30

Post by kjduke » Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:01 pm

Originally posted by Liquid Empire:
Now to totally invalidate this whole wacky premise of FAAB for bid positions....let me give everyone some insight : . You make some decent points below, unfortunately they have nothing to do with supporting your conclusion that this is a wacky idea.

A large majority of drafts are pre-dertermined by information available on the web and print. For the most, the people who play in fantasy leagues are force fed and brain washed as to where players should be selected. Agreed.

Just like the stock market, the current price on equities is determined by future value. The same applies with fantasy football. How many mock drafts and websites did everyone see before our draft that said that the following six RB's (Priest, LT2, Ahman, Deuce, Shaun Alexander, and Clinton Portis) SHOULD be the first guys off the board? MANY DID! Ofcourse there were arguements of which order they should be taken but there was really no exception to this force-fed rule of thumb. Where was Culpepper in the top 5 ? Not to be found? How come? Because the self-proclaimed Guru's didnt have it in their crystal balls ? Your argument here supports an auction style draft, and does nothing to refute the use of slot bidding. In the stock market, you can buy anything you want so long as you’re willing to pay as much or more than the current market price. Not so in a FF draft.

So the bottom line is this - Anyone can draft any player at any position if available. The right combinations to win are there. Throw out the ADP's and stop counting on VBD's. “If available” is the key phrase here. Slot bidding means can you pay up to get the slot position you want. It also means a random assignment may mean “available” to certain players and “not available” to others. On Wall St, kinda like big institutions and key customers getting first crack at hot IPOs. Was this fair? No, and it is changing for the better.

The right combinations to win are there. Throw out the ADP's and stop counting on VBD's. Yes, they are. Kinda like seeing the future and going back and investing in the best stocks before anyone knew they were the best stocks.

Like I said, you can win from any draft spot. Yes you can, just like you can win the lottery with any set of numbers. But this should be more a game of skill than luck.

TradeStar28

Week 6 Top 30

Post by TradeStar28 » Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:10 pm

Well, to revisit my main point...

The combinations to win any particular fantasy football league, are available at any particular draft spot.

Each week we play to score points. In head to head format, the team with the most points wins. It doesnt matter where these points come from, be it your 1st round super-stud RB or your key waiver wire aquisition.

I don't forsee that switching to a waiver wire bidding process will improve the NFFC format.

Good owners make good picks. Bad owners make bad picks. And good owners CAN make bad picks.

I coulda had Culpepper @ 1.4, I chose Deuce because the 8000 mock drafts at Ant Sports, and the countless websites had him going at spots 1-6.
I drafted with the hand I was dealt. And now I play with the cards I personally put in my hand.

Next year maybe I will try to think outside the box for once. And I am not talking about going to Taco Bell.