Playoff Handicapping - what do you think?

GOD Loves You

Post by GOD Loves You » Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:15 pm

I'm all for eliminating and everyone starting over at 0.

That is if some type of prize is awarded to those teams who dominated the regular season...possibly prizes/payouts to the top 10 owners during the regular season?

I have seen some owners bragging how NY League 6 has 3 owners in the top 20.

This could be a testament to those teams abilities, but it also could show the INEPTNESS of the other owners in that league.

So if I am in a league with owners who are below par, thus allowing my team to be stacked, is it fair I can carry my average and put it up against those in leagues where all managers are above par?

Attempted to make this "short" but I always ramble.

So, I am YES for starting over at 0...provided something is awarded to those who did dominate the regular season...of course they already won some $$$ so don't award to much :D
FAITH IS NOT BELIEVING THAT GOD CAN....
IT IS KNOWING THAT HE WILL

ultimatefs

Post by ultimatefs » Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:36 pm

Originally posted by GOD Loves You:

I have seen some owners bragging how NY League 6 has 3 owners in the top 20.

This could be a testament to those teams abilities, but it also could show the INEPTNESS of the other owners in that league.
This is a main reason why I eliminated HFA several years ago.

The inept make some owners look real good some years.

If you choose not to eliminate make it 2 or 3 times more. It's pretty meaningless as is.
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.

moyer1313

Post by moyer1313 » Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:50 pm

Originally posted by RI WORKHORSE:
quote: Greg Ambrosius
Is carrying your weekly scoring average the fairest way since everyone competed in separate leagues, where the drafts were different, free agent pickups were different and h2h records were different?

This is a real good point.I don't know what table it was but the table that went manning 1 and culpepper 2 in ny could throw some things off.Not saying this time in general but some peoples crazy idea's could down the road.Also agree with greg about everything else,each table is different.

johnny [/QUOTE]As stated by several others, everyone should start at 0.
'07 10-3 127.3 ppg $0 Won
'08 11-2 123.3 ppg $0 Won
'09 2-12 129.5 ppg $0 Won

The only team in NFFC Main Event history to win 11 games and not cash. :(

1683.8 pts. in 2009 is the record for a team with just 2 wins. Old record - 1479.95

TamuScarecrow

Post by TamuScarecrow » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:35 am

Rick, I have to respectfully have a different opinion on this one. I don't think you can compare the NFL to the NFFC here. This is a contest that has 20 leagues and 280 owners using the same players 20 times. The NFL is totally different. We can only mimic them so much. Rules and prize structures need to be flexible to create a good contest, that's why I don't think the NFL is a good example here.That's ok, RC, if you don't like my NFL analogy. That's just the way I view it. The NFL should be the example here though as this IS fantasy football. Maybe having a setup more reflective of the NFL would be better.

Even though there can be an advantage from one league to the next, I think it is still hard to be #1 out of 280 teams after 13 weeks. As this event grows it will be an even greater accomplishment. That's my reason for wanting to reward #1.Who cares who's #1 after 13 weeks? If the Colts go 16-0 and don't win the Super Bowl, is anyone going to be running around bragging about what they did in the regular season? NO. I've heard a lot of talk this year about Gekko's team but has anyone mentioned Team New this year? NO. We don't play this league to see who is #1 at the end of 13 weeks. We play this league to see who is #1 after 16 weeks. The league rewards are for 13 week accomplishments. I go back to my payout plan previously stated to say I am more in favor of post-season rewards than league rewards. That's just MY opinion. Question: when you signed up for this league what attracted you, the $5k league champ prize or the $100k overall champ prize?
2005 NY/CHI League Champ
2006 CHI#2 3rd Place
2006 Auction Reg Season Champ
2007 TAM#2 2nd Place
2007 Auction Reg Season Champ
2009 LV#5 League Champ
2010 Auction Reg Season Champ
2011 LV#3 2nd Place
2012 LV Classic League Champ

Route Collectors

Post by Route Collectors » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:56 am

Originally posted by TamuScarecrow:
quote:Rick, I have to respectfully have a different opinion on this one. I don't think you can compare the NFL to the NFFC here. This is a contest that has 20 leagues and 280 owners using the same players 20 times. The NFL is totally different. We can only mimic them so much. Rules and prize structures need to be flexible to create a good contest, that's why I don't think the NFL is a good example here.That's ok, RC, if you don't like my NFL analogy. That's just the way I view it. The NFL should be the example here though as this IS fantasy football. Maybe having a setup more reflective of the NFL would be better.

Even though there can be an advantage from one league to the next, I think it is still hard to be #1 out of 280 teams after 13 weeks. As this event grows it will be an even greater accomplishment. That's my reason for wanting to reward #1.Who cares who's #1 after 13 weeks? If the Colts go 16-0 and don't win the Super Bowl, is anyone going to be running around bragging about what they did in the regular season? NO. I've heard a lot of talk this year about Gekko's team but has anyone mentioned Team New this year? NO. We don't play this league to see who is #1 at the end of 13 weeks. We play this league to see who is #1 after 16 weeks. The league rewards are for 13 week accomplishments. I go back to my payout plan previously stated to say I am more in favor of post-season rewards than league rewards. That's just MY opinion. Question: when you signed up for this league what attracted you, the $5k league champ prize or the $100k overall champ prize? [/QUOTE]You bring up good points Rick and I don't know if the guy leading going into the playoffs is a relavent milestone or not. Maybe it just seems that way since we have a leaderboard page.

You are right about the prizes, in that the $100K is the bigger draw. I'm actually more interested in the playoff handicapping though. I'd love to have you on board as one who wants everyone to start with zero. Ultimately this is Gregs decision and I could live with it as is - but it still won't make sense to me.

[ December 07, 2005, 07:17 AM: Message edited by: Route C ]

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:13 am

To the people who are in favor of Zero, what would be your 2nd choice?

(1) Leaving things alone
(2) Increasing advantage (1.5x, 2x, 3x)
(3) Decreasing advantage (0.5x)

David Wooderson

Post by David Wooderson » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:26 am

I understand both sides, and it's true that some leagues are better to draft in than others, but the 13 weeks should count for something. You do get league money but starting with at least your weekly average is reasonable.

1.5 times I think is a good number. 2x can be a little too much since the finals are only 3 weeks, and 1x isnt enough. 1.5x is going to give the top 10 guys a 30-50 point advantage on the lower half which may be enough to hold off someone at the end. As my partner said, we use 1.5 in our contest, and it seems to be a fair number.

As far as the points leader, you can get creative without having to take money away from the prize pool. Someone mentioned a free entry into next year's contest and that is a great idea. You can do something like that, plus a party pack from Greg Ambrosius. Greg has enough clout with all the high rollers, I bet he could put together a nice package of stuff donated from big sponsors, aka Mitchell and Ness jersey, a couple of SB tickets, an 8 x 10 autogrpahed photo of Tom Kessenich, etc....to give to the regular season points leader, without having to spend any cash on it.

I also think having a highest weekly score award might help with people quitting. Maybe not one per week, but the highest single weekly scoring team of the season wins a grand or something, might keep some more people playing and make it more interesting for teams who have had bad luck or injuries. Of course it might not matter to some tools like Moneymaker or whoever is running his team, and had Rudi Johnson parked on his bench for half the season.

TamuScarecrow

Post by TamuScarecrow » Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:51 am

I think we are doing a weekly prize, Dave, at least I know we did last year. Greg may have to find a sponsor for that as I think he was able to do last year.

As stated, the 13 weeks has meaning for the league prizes but for the playoff prizes, everyone should revert back to 0. Look at this year, the 43rd team starts with a 40 point disadvantage. Regardless of what you think of his team, every team in the championships should be given the same opportunity to win it, just like in the NFL, and it's safe to say that's not going to happen this year. Bottom line, players want their fantasy sports to emulate the real thing whenever possible.
2005 NY/CHI League Champ
2006 CHI#2 3rd Place
2006 Auction Reg Season Champ
2007 TAM#2 2nd Place
2007 Auction Reg Season Champ
2009 LV#5 League Champ
2010 Auction Reg Season Champ
2011 LV#3 2nd Place
2012 LV Classic League Champ

ultimatefs

Post by ultimatefs » Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:53 am

O

I also think having a highest weekly score award might help with people quitting. Maybe not one per week, but the highest single weekly scoring team of the season wins a grand or something, might keep some more people playing and make it more interesting for teams who have had bad luck or injuries. Of course it might not matter to some tools like Moneymaker or whoever is running his team, and had Rudi Johnson parked on his bench for half the season. [/QB]It certainly helps. I have TOW by league only, and 6 of top 10 scores this week were by teams at 6-6 or less.
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.

David Wooderson

Post by David Wooderson » Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:44 am

Originally posted by TamuScarecrow:
I think we are doing a weekly prize, Dave, at least I know we did last year. Greg may have to find a sponsor for that as I think he was able to do last year.

As stated, the 13 weeks has meaning for the league prizes but for the playoff prizes, everyone should revert back to 0. Look at this year, the 43rd team starts with a 40 point disadvantage. Regardless of what you think of his team, every team in the championships should be given the same opportunity to win it, just like in the NFL, and it's safe to say that's not going to happen this year. Bottom line, players want their fantasy sports to emulate the real thing whenever possible. Yeah but Rick with all due respect, let me ask you this. If the Colts are the #1 seed and they play the Steelers in the second round, should the game be held at a neutral site? That's essentially what you are saying in that every team is given an opportunity to win in the NFL, so it should be the same here. That's not really the case though, as they reward the NFL team with the higher seeding home field. Thats what the starting with your average point rule is there for.

The Steelers would still have that same chance to win, but it would be tougher because they have to go on the road and do it, which in the NFL would be an advantage to the Colts. That is the same principle here.

I also respectfully disagree about fantasy sports needing to be as close to identical as the real thing. That's just not fathomable. Fantasy football is not even remotely close to anything in real football, thats why it exists.

To me it's not a dealbreaker either way. I personally like the weekly point avg because it takes into account 80% of your season. But if it wasnt there and everyone started with 0, it's not as if there should be a mass exodus from the NFFC.