Would You Be In Favor Of Ranking Your Draft Spots?

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:34 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
quote:Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
The Kentucky Derby Style format isn't perfect and it does reward owners who get the early preferences, but in our current setup they would be rewarded with top picks anyway. I think that setup allows more owners to get spots that they'd want moreso than any other system, including draft slot bidding. Remember, those are blind bids and anything can happen. i don't buy it. why not use the KD method for determing which owners get weekly FA's? [/QUOTE]Gordon, I believe you posted earlier that the KD method is MORE unfair than the current system. Given a choice of ONLY the current system and KD, can you tell me why you feel this way?

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:40 am

Originally posted by renman:
route C/ KJ duke,

i brought 3 new people into this years NFFC and tried to bring many more. the main thing that stopped most of those i talked to was the following...

"i am not sure i want to spend that much money for an event against top fantasy players with all the complex rules and stuff that i am not used to. i do not want to donate my money for a few years just to learn things experienced players already know..."

so it is an issue for some prospective NFFC players...

No doubt there are people that feel that way, but they are not good candidates for the NFBC to begin with, and slot bidding one way or the other won't change that.

What are there, about 5 million fantasy players in the US? ... and Greg is trying to capture 300 to 500 of them to play a high stakes contest. I would argue its pointless to try to cater to those who aren't really in the target market. My guess on target market would be:

1) experienced player, had played under different rule sets in the past, and rules are not a huge barrier so long as they are logical and provide for a fair and fun competition
2) has disposable income - understands and is willing to be at a slight disadvantage in year 1 knowing they will be better in future years and expects to be profitable over time
3) believes they are good enough to win against the best with decent injury luck

My guess is that the bulk of players in the NFBC/NFFC would fit the above profile, and that potential new participants that fit this profile would be more likely to view slot bidding as favorable rather than unfavorable, simply because they believe they have the skills to compete and this allows them greater control over their own fate (or, for those who don't care where they pick from, they gain an immediate advantage for the in-season FA process).

Route Collectors

Post by Route Collectors » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:54 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
quote:Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
No setup is perfect, but I'm almost in the mindset that there is a better method for a high-stakes contest other than random selections for every draft spot and the time is right to introduce it. Now I need to figure out what it is. it all boils down to how to allocate resources...

If blind bidding is ok for the allocation of weekly free agents, it’s good enough for the allocation of draft slots. Let the market decide.
[/QUOTE]I like this statement alot. Very easy to understand.

Route Collectors

Post by Route Collectors » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:04 am

One more quick point. Doesn't someone always have to take a chance to be on the "cutting edge" of anything?
Looking at this from a market angle - what if "another" event decides to market this as the only contest with this twist and it's successful.
Given the choice I'd rather have the authentic jersey rather than the reproduction.

The NFFC could come out of this labeled either a leader or follower in the industry - so maybe a step back would actually be a step forward. ;)

renman

Post by renman » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:08 am

gekko...

you keep saying bidding for free agents and draft spots is the same thing... when it is totally NOT the same thing. there are negatives connected to bidding for draft spots like turning off the newbie owners that we want to fill our field and the fact it would lead to some leagues having teams with huge advantages in free agent bidding that could lead to inequity through the entire event.

KJduke...

good points... but until the NFFC gets 500 entries they are still in the market to bring new people in.. and coming up with some blind bidding process for where in a draft you will be slotted is very likely going to intimidate new players to high stakes fantasy football... i also agree with greg that using FAAB money to bid on these spots will give some teams advantages within their leagues to bid on players and thus joe smith in las vegas league 3 might have an advantage over mike brown in new york league 2 due to his free agent dollars allowing him to scoop up all value players that are available.... and thus skew the event some...

i also find it interesting in the derby system that so many people will get slotted at or near where they ideally want to be... where as with the bidding that is less likely to happen... we all know that once the season starts none of this will have mattered much and all the variables we can not control will then take effect...

renman

Post by renman » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:11 am

i believe the derby idea of listing preferred position would be new to the industry...

renman

Post by renman » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:11 am

i believe the derby idea of listing preferred position would be new to the industry...

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:20 am

[ October 11, 2005, 12:47 PM: Message edited by: BillyWaz ]

ultimatefs

Post by ultimatefs » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:29 am

Originally posted by Route C:
One more quick point. Doesn't someone always have to take a chance to be on the "cutting edge" of anything?
Looking at this from a market angle - what if "another" event decides to market this as the only contest with this twist and it's successful.
Given the choice I'd rather have the authentic jersey rather than the reproduction.

The NFFC could come out of this labeled either a leader or follower in the industry - so maybe a step back would actually be a step forward. ;) 100% agree.

I'd target WCOFF owners. 12-team leagues are a joke.

I targeted CDM owners being nickled and dimed to death with target ads towards no trans fees.

Greg should post an ad showing WCOFF vs NFFC, 12 vs 14 final stats, and then the new way to eliminate the problem. (although 14 from last year shows NO problem)

This event could double.
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.

TamuScarecrow

Post by TamuScarecrow » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:29 am

the fact it would lead to some leagues having teams with huge advantages in free agent bidding that could lead to inequity through the entire event.So you're worried about the team that spends $899 to draft LT2 being able to pick up free agents later? How absurd is this thought? Seems to me he has the advantage up front and those who didn't spend this kind of money for the #1 pick will have the advantage on the back end. With the current system, he has the best of both worlds. Seems like a no-brainer to me which system is the better one.
2005 NY/CHI League Champ
2006 CHI#2 3rd Place
2006 Auction Reg Season Champ
2007 TAM#2 2nd Place
2007 Auction Reg Season Champ
2009 LV#5 League Champ
2010 Auction Reg Season Champ
2011 LV#3 2nd Place
2012 LV Classic League Champ