Monday Morning Quarterback: Part 2

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon May 16, 2011 9:04 am

I drank a lot of Corona's at the $1 blackjack tables at the Sahara. In fact, our first Fantasy Sports Trade Conference in February of 2001 was at the Sahara and we had Donald Fehr speak there with Bill James being inducted into the FSTA Hall of Fame. Wow, that seems like a lifetime ago. Now it's a sad day to see the Sahara closing in Las Vegas:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110515/lf ... smgambling
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon May 16, 2011 9:15 am

I remember the 2001 FSTA trade conference. That was my first trip to Vegas and I had plenty of fun at the blackjack tables.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon May 16, 2011 9:25 am

One more column from Fabs today to chew on:

http://www.nfl.com/fantasy/story/09000d ... ntasy-land
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon May 16, 2011 9:56 am

Reports from Detroit say Matthew Stafford looks great in the informal player workouts. Of course, Stafford has never had a problem looking good when nobody is rushing him.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Shrink Attack

Post by Shrink Attack » Mon May 16, 2011 2:11 pm

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
The Packers are the consensus team to beat according to NFL.com's experts and fans. That's probably the kiss of death, but it feels good if you're a Packers' fan. Here's the link to that story:

http://fanrankings.nfl.com/results/experts

I'm surfing on a Monday and doing anything to talk football!! :D Glad to see my Falcons ranked high, but their schedule is brutal. We'll see.

Everyone says that the Falcons drafted Julio Jones in order to keep up with the Packers. When I saw the King's ransom given up by the Birds to move up and draft Jones, the first question that came to my mind was this:

How exactly is Julio Jones gonna keep Aaron Rodgers from scoring 48 points on us? :confused:
"Deserve" ain't got nothin' to do with it
---Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven

Shrink Attack

Post by Shrink Attack » Mon May 16, 2011 2:19 pm

quote:Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
I feel the same way and it's unfortunate because I'm exactly who the owners are banking on. They know my passion for this sport will continue to thrive even as they bungle their way through the summer. I wish I could turn my back on the sport or lose the same amount of interest that I did after MLB's last strike but I'll be back and that's what the owners are counting on.

Ugh. How would you like to be DirecTV this summer, trying to sell the NFL Ticket for about $299 and providing that July Early-Bird special with no football in sight? They are so in bed with the NFL and so lucky to have that Sunday NFL Ticket exclusive, but can you imagine paying $1 billion to sell a product that becomes unsellable if this strike goes into the regular season? Personally, they better have things resolved before I jump in this year to buy the Sunday Ticket.
[/QUOTE]BTW...thanks for starting this thread, Greg. I've enjoyed reading it.

This is a good time to negotiate a GREAT deal with DirecTV for the Sunday Ticket. They're desperate for subscribers. If you call them and tell them you're not going to renew, they'll send you to Retention and those guys give you practically anything you want to keep your subscription alive. Things like 50% off and throwing in all the extras for free. Plus, you can be sure you'll get a refund or a pro-rated deal if the season is affected.
"Deserve" ain't got nothin' to do with it
---Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue May 17, 2011 4:29 am

Originally posted by Shrink Attack:
quote:Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
The Packers are the consensus team to beat according to NFL.com's experts and fans. That's probably the kiss of death, but it feels good if you're a Packers' fan. Here's the link to that story:

http://fanrankings.nfl.com/results/experts

I'm surfing on a Monday and doing anything to talk football!! :D Glad to see my Falcons ranked high, but their schedule is brutal. We'll see.

Everyone says that the Falcons drafted Julio Jones in order to keep up with the Packers. When I saw the King's ransom given up by the Birds to move up and draft Jones, the first question that came to my mind was this:

How exactly is Julio Jones gonna keep Aaron Rodgers from scoring 48 points on us? :confused:
[/QUOTE]Agreed Paul. I love the Julio Jones pickup by the Falcons, but after seeing what the Packers did to that defense I think Atlanta still needs another pass rusher to go further in the playoffs. They are going to need that and more on defense to win the tough NFC this year and they definitely didn't address that in the draft. Now they can still upgrade via free agency, but at this point there are still too many holes on the defensive side of the ball to declare this team as the favorite in the NFC.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue May 17, 2011 4:30 am

Okay, I know it's not Monday Morning anymore, but yesterday's ruling in St. Louis has Tom and myself fuming. Time to discuss the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals decision. Are you ready to help us dissect this mess? Come along for the ride and chime in whenever you want.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue May 17, 2011 4:33 am

Okay Tom, the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals granted the permanent stay yesterday and basically shot down Judge Susan Nelson's ruling from the district court. What's worse is that they also let the players know that the two judges will likely rule the same way on June 3rd, so if they want to wait until July to find out that the lockout isn't going away that's their prerogative. But if you're the NFLPA and its lawyers, what do you think of yesterday's decision and what do you do next?

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue May 17, 2011 4:33 am

Okay Tom, the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals granted the permanent stay yesterday and basically shot down Judge Susan Nelson's ruling from the district court. What's worse is that they also let the players know that the two judges will likely rule the same way on June 3rd, so if they want to wait until July to find out that the lockout isn't going away that's their prerogative. But if you're the NFLPA and its lawyers, what do you think of yesterday's decision and what do you do next? If anyone missed the ruling, I'll link to ESPN.com for a followup:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6557162