How would you feel?

D-Day Heroes

How would you feel?

Post by D-Day Heroes » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:34 am

Originally posted by D-Day Heroes:
quote:Originally posted by D-Day Heroes:
What would be the problem with setting up a program where it plugs in your highest average player for any BYE week Position Not filled 5 minutes before kick-off !

Not just for those guys that quit , but what about for those that have an Emergency . I think this could also include IR .

As much as GG's scenario concerns me , ( especially when playing for the Bg Bucks Like you guys are ), I really do think we have ( From what i have seen ) a really great group of players that would not resort to these tactics. The thing that would concern me more is what if thier were an illness to that manager or his family and understandably would not have this as such a top priority in his/her life at that time. And say it was someone that was shooting for a TITLE , shouldn't we have a program like this for that person . I think so.
[/QUOTE]GG , do you think this would help or not ?

It may need a little tweeking , but i don't think it would take much.
" When you are in any contest you should work as if there were - to the very last minute - a chance to lose it. "
- Dwight D. Eisenhower

mikeybok

How would you feel?

Post by mikeybok » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:41 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko II:
quote:Originally posted by D-Day Heroes:
GG , Maybe I missed it , But i'll ask again ..... what did you do about it ????

Anything ?

Did you
tlk to Greg and Tom ,did you get a satisfactory answer, what did do , ANYTHING ??? no, this situation did not happen to me in football. i'm asking the question now to see what everyone thinks. this can (and very well may) show up this year in football.
[/QUOTE]Soooo ... Who are you going to screw?

:D
Hakuna Matata!

TamuScarecrow

How would you feel?

Post by TamuScarecrow » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:43 am

I have been in a lot of scenarios where the best teams in the league don't always get to the top for one reason or another. 2nd year in this league the team that ranked 11th in the league in points ended up winning the mullah because he had the best record. I brought up All-Play to solve the schedule luck to no avail. In the case above, if you're 3rd in the league in points, don't complain about winning 3rd place money. It sucks when a team worse than mine wins more money than me. :D
2005 NY/CHI League Champ
2006 CHI#2 3rd Place
2006 Auction Reg Season Champ
2007 TAM#2 2nd Place
2007 Auction Reg Season Champ
2009 LV#5 League Champ
2010 Auction Reg Season Champ
2011 LV#3 2nd Place
2012 LV Classic League Champ

mikeybok

How would you feel?

Post by mikeybok » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:53 am

Originally posted by Tamuscarecrow:
I have been in a lot of scenarios where the best teams in the league don't always get to the top for one reason or another. 2nd year in this league the team that ranked 11th in the league in points ended up winning the mullah because he had the best record. I brought up All-Play to solve the schedule luck to no avail. In the case above, if you're 3rd in the league in points, don't complain about winning 3rd place money. It sucks when a team worse than mine wins more money than me. :D Last year we were third in points and took fourth place (no Money) ... can I complain?

:D
Hakuna Matata!

bobsgym13

How would you feel?

Post by bobsgym13 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:57 am

Originally posted by Tamuscarecrow:
I have been in a lot of scenarios where the best teams in the league don't always get to the top for one reason or another. 2nd year in this league the team that ranked 11th in the league in points ended up winning the mullah because he had the best record. I brought up All-Play to solve the schedule luck to no avail. In the case above, if you're 3rd in the league in points, don't complain about winning 3rd place money. It sucks when a team worse than mine wins more money than me. :D I agree on the no whining, but the scenario that GG spelled out could happen and is not simply losing because of a bad break.

I am most concerned with a more common scenario:

Team A - Owner turns 'deadbeat' during week 10
He has Schaub and Jacobs (Byes=10) and Palmer and LT. He correctly starts Palmer and LT week 10, Palmer and LT get hurt and go on IR. Week 11 the owner never reinserts Schaub or Jacobs, Leaving Palmer and LT in as starters.

The competetive balance is thrown off. There is a difference between whining and trying to constructively improve the system.

Bob
Luck in FF is like a game of Russian Roulette. The BWaz's of the world only have one bullet to spin - the rest of us have two. It's still mostly luck, but ...
-By Bob (For Gekko)

renman

How would you feel?

Post by renman » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:10 pm

I have been active on this topic since year one of the NFFC and am glad gekko brought it up. While the example gekko gave is a little more blatantly in poor form, the example given above by Bob Squad is quite realistic.

I have always wanted there to be something in place for the owners who just bail out on the league in week 8 when they are 2-6 and ultimately hand free wins to teams who were forunate enough to meet them later in the season.

The first thing I would like to see is some kind of announcement before the drafts start reminding people that this is a professional type, high stakes fantays football event and not some basic home league or yahoo league where quitting is normal. That in and off itself might help with some of the newbies in the room. After that, the "appeal" concept that was thrown out a few posts ago actually on first read looked to have some merit.

This is definately a worthy discussion and a good thread to have to discuss ideas.

BillyWaz

How would you feel?

Post by BillyWaz » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:30 pm

I think offering a $$$ prize for EVERYONE in the highest scoring league in total points would help this in the Main events.

I know WCOFF does this, and it is actually one of the things I DO like about their contest.

Gordon Gekko II

How would you feel?

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:34 pm

Originally posted by Renman:
I have been active on this topic since year one of the NFFC and am glad gekko brought it up. While the example gekko gave is a little more blatantly in poor form, the example given above by Bob Squad is quite realistic.
Ren - what if my example did in fact happen to YOU this year?

renman

How would you feel?

Post by renman » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:55 am

Gekko,

If your example happened to me I would be miserable. I think anyone would be miserable. I am just saying your example isn't as realistic as the basic problem of owners quitting on their teams in a way that results in a loss of integrity with the competition.

My point about your example is that it isn't overly realistic. Most owners here don't know many or any of the people in their leagues. There are likely not many personal grudges. At the very least I doubt there are any or many personal grudges that are so deep and so immature that someone would pull a move like you described, embarrass themselves, and get themselves blacklisted from the NFFC for life.

However, your intial post does bring up a great point/topic regarding how to deal with owners who bail on the league when things go bad. I am glad you brought it up because it is a very worthy issue to discuss.

da bears

How would you feel?

Post by da bears » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:23 am

Originally posted by BillyWaz:
I think offering a $$$ prize for EVERYONE in the highest scoring league in total points would help this in the Main events.

I know WCOFF does this, and it is actually one of the things I DO like about their contest. I like that idea also Billy. :cool:
Bauler Shot Caller