Free Agency 2X Per Week

Sound Advice

Free Agency 2X Per Week

Post by Sound Advice » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:47 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
And no, the extra traffic would not be any problem on a Sunday, especially if we ran the FAAB that early in the morning. No problems at all.
Wrong.
I couldn't make any bid adjustment to my WTA team on Friday evening.
Acted like too much traffic.
Froze solid. I rebooted and went back several times.
Nothing.
That's going to make for a fun Sunday for whoever (Greg?) is going to dig us out of those holes 1 hour before the games.

2 bids times is a terrible idea. Period.

People can't think ahead, so more strategy is lost. And the importance of waiver bidding is lessened.

Even Glenn mentioned it was a good idea because he's stole a bunch of players in the wcoff that way.
Oh yeah, let's run out and implement that one.

Greg Ambrosius

Free Agency 2X Per Week

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:57 am

Originally posted by Sound Advice:
quote:Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
And no, the extra traffic would not be any problem on a Sunday, especially if we ran the FAAB that early in the morning. No problems at all.
Wrong.
I couldn't make any bid adjustment to my WTA team on Friday evening.
Acted like too much traffic.
Froze solid. I rebooted and went back several times.
Nothing.
That's going to make for a fun Sunday for whoever (Greg?) is going to dig us out of those holes 1 hour before the games.

People can't think ahead, so more strategy is lost. And the importance of waiver bidding is lessened.

Even Glenn mentioned it was a good idea because he's stole a bunch of players in the wcoff that way.
Oh yeah, let's run out and implement that one.
[/QUOTE]Dennis, I don't know what your computer problem was on Sunday, but I highly doubt it was lack of bandwith by STATS. Could have been a number of things.

Glenn and Perry both agree that many of their participants aren't utilizing the two waiver periods, probably because they aren't aware of it. We obviously would have to be consistent with our two weekly FAAB periods and be good in communicating it. But maybe it won't work. We'll see and continue to take feedback from the members. I don't see a problem with that.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Sound Advice

Free Agency 2X Per Week

Post by Sound Advice » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:35 am

Taking feedback from members is great.
But don't implement dumb ideas like 2 bid times.
That is member feedback in its purest form.

Now were the heck is the smiley feature on this thing? lol.

Really though. I'm not bidding a bunch of cash if there is a second bid period. Nor will most teams.
That's the fun. Trying to find a replacement WR on Friday and put a price on him. It really makes you think.
I needed one this year to start one week.
I got my 3rd choice Brad Smith because Coles was Q and Cotch was P. So I played the odds that one would miss some time. By Sunday they were both P and I would have done different. But that was the fun part, having to think. Smith put up a 0 and Coles and Cotch have both been P since. So what? That's the fun part.
Like Billy making that block, that doesn't work if there is a second period. More fun gone.
If you wait till Sunday, many new guys will be able to start because of inactives. And weather forcasts will make it easy to plug in a starter.

Make folks think. Give them a time once a week and a bankroll.

Lesson that and it takes a lot of thinking out of the process.
Just plug in who Mathew Berry says at 10 on Sunday for cheap.
My maple tree could do that.

kjduke

Free Agency 2X Per Week

Post by kjduke » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:38 am

Two FA periods makes for more work, I wouldn't want to have this - it will discourage players who play in many lges, and that's probably not what you want ...

I think a better solution would be:

1) keep FAAB for all players on Friday
2) have a Wed FAAB ONLY for players that are playing in that week's Thursday games

mikeybok

Free Agency 2X Per Week

Post by mikeybok » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:50 am

Originally posted by KJ Duke:
Two FA periods makes for more work, I wouldn't want to have this - it will discourage players who play in many lges, and that's probably not what you want ...

I think a better solution would be:

1) keep FAAB for all players on Friday
... except for weeks where there are Thursday games move it to Wednesday (wow ... we have that now!). People have 8 extra roster spots. Use those spots to plan for contingencies. If you want to build a line up with perfect information ... join a DC league.

FA can be a lot of work for those with partners ... I really don't want to go through it twice a week.

Mike
Hakuna Matata!

BillyWaz

Free Agency 2X Per Week

Post by BillyWaz » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:54 am

Like Billy making that block, that doesn't work if there is a second period. More fun gone.
Considering there wasn't ONE available starting QB after our period, it actually would have worked, Dennis.

My problem with the 2 transaction periods is simple....

1) It gives teams who screwed up and forgot/didn't get a player another chance to fix their mistake.

2) It WOULD be a burden on those who play in many leagues, but this is from someone who says he is always going to cutback on leagues, and then never can! ;)

Im not that against it, but if given the choice, I would vote "no".

Gordon Gekko

Free Agency 2X Per Week

Post by Gordon Gekko » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:18 am

KoQ gets thrown under the bus not once...
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

Gordon Gekko

Free Agency 2X Per Week

Post by Gordon Gekko » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:18 am

But don't implement dumb ideas like 2 bid times.
but TWICE!!!
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

King of Queens

Free Agency 2X Per Week

Post by King of Queens » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:29 am

Some more points to consider about mid-week free agency:

(1) How many free agents per week do you guys consider? 6? 8? 10? Whatever the case, it's probably not a very big number. This isn't like baseball where your weekly free agent lists are 30 players long.

(2) I believe that a mid-week pickup period would generate additional interest, strategy and fun during the Dead Zone period of Tuesday to Friday. Less bickering on the message boards, and more meaningful discussion.

pizzatyme

Free Agency 2X Per Week

Post by pizzatyme » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:37 am

Originally posted by JohnZ:
quote:Originally posted by Just Russ:
quote:Originally posted by JohnZ:
quote:Originally posted by Just Russ:
John, are your leagues "high-stakes" leagues? If not, then I don't see the relevance.

Weds & Sunday morning are what I'd be in favor of. They were the highest priced until Greg showed up :D

Would you say data from 50 $200 NFFC 14-team sats of guys that have played 10 years plus irrelevant?

It's Greg's game. he can do whatever he wants. I'm just trying to give some info that helps in the decision process.
[/QUOTE]I appreciate and respect what you're trying to do. I guess I look at it the same as if I suggest we offer a "Free-for-All" period after the initial FAAB period as something that MILLIONS of fantasy football players do on ESPN, Yahoo, etc. This seems like something that works for those MILLIONS of fantasy players.

But, for some reason, since we spend more money, a Free-for-all doesn't make sense.

My data and your data are equally apples and oranges in the eyes of the select few who post on this MB. It is those 20 or so posters who are making the suggestions that affect everyone.
[/QUOTE]No worries... I would never post something unless it was a very close match. 14 teams, PPR the same, die hards playing for a long time, top two renewal rates in the industry, 2x trans since 2001, etc..

Never ever would I mention or suggest anything a free site does :D
[/QUOTE]Well there certainly aren't die hards playing in lesser contests, right?!

I consider FFOC a lesser event, yet there are several "Die hards" playing in that event.

I wonder why those free sites are so popular. I wonder why we don't have more than 400 owners in this event? I wonder if a meshing of contest rules would help to grow this event?

I'm doing too much wondering.

The current FAAB is strategy, no more or less IMO. It doesn't make it any more enjoyable than what the "Free Sites" offer for FA. Again, IMO.
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.