Owen Daniels

Gordon Gekko II

Owen Daniels

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:03 am

owners have to start 8 players each week (1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1 Flex). owners thought so much of Daniels that he was the 7th out of the 8 players selected. many owners wanted their 2nd RB or 3rd WR before they wanted Daniels. those are the FACTS. spin them however you want.

Shrink Attack

Owen Daniels

Post by Shrink Attack » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:36 am

It's been my experience that Fantasy Football Championships are won and lost by the mid-round picks, who either produce like a high rounder (powering a Championship) or flop (losing a Championship).

So to say that Daniel's loss shouldn't be a big deal because he's a 7th rounder is a ludicrous argument. The ability to pick a 7th rounder who produces like a 3rd rounder is what winning your league is all about.
"Deserve" ain't got nothin' to do with it
---Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven

Ted's Cracked Head

Owen Daniels

Post by Ted's Cracked Head » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:39 am

Losing the top TE in football is a serious blow no matter what round you select them.
My mama says she loves me but she could be jiving too! BB King

Gordon Gekko II

Owen Daniels

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:56 am

If your 7th round pick was the KEY TO YOUR SEASON, then yes, you might be hurt more than most Daniels owners. However, if you did a good job at drafting rounds 1-6 and you drafted/FAAB’d a decent backup TE, then you are still in good shape. Teams that were operating without a safety net (no depth) are most hurt. I assume there are owners that do indeed have a decent backup plan. Kudos to them.

KOTRAX

Owen Daniels

Post by KOTRAX » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:05 am

WELL THE FLIP SIDE TO THIS G.G. IS THAT MOST LATER PICKS HAVE BE MORE KEY THAN THE EARLIER ONES.

SINCE AS A WHOLE ALOT OF FIRST AND SECOND ROUNDERS HAVE FALLEN FLAT FOR MOST OWNERS.

AS FAR A DEPTH GOES ESPECIALLY WITH THE GREAT OWNERS THE NFFC HAVE AND 14 TEAMS THAT IS ALMOST NEXT TO IMPOSSIBLE TO HAVE.

pizzatyme

Owen Daniels

Post by pizzatyme » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:15 am

I feel like Mark is fishing here.
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

Gordon Gekko II

Owen Daniels

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:03 am

Originally posted by KOTRAX:
WELL THE FLIP SIDE TO THIS G.G. IS THAT MOST LATER PICKS HAVE BE MORE KEY THAN THE EARLIER ONES.
maybe greg can allow owners to trade draft picks next year. i'll give you my 6th and 7th rounders for your 1st and 2nd rounders.

Nag'

Owen Daniels

Post by Nag' » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:12 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko II:
If your 7th round pick was the KEY TO YOUR SEASON, then yes, you might be hurt more than most Daniels owners. However, if you did a good job at drafting rounds 1-6 and you drafted/FAAB’d a decent backup TE, then you are still in good shape. Teams that were operating without a safety net (no depth) are most hurt. I assume there are owners that do indeed have a decent backup plan. Kudos to them. If I am understanding Gekko correctly, I think I agree with him and he is correct in what he is trying to say.

What I do NOT think he is trying to say is that Daniels is not an important part of a winning roster. Of course he is. On many teams, he maybe the single biggest point contributor, especially in relations to his draft spot (7th round or so). Losing Daniels will obviously hurt. Even if he was somehow a team's backup TE behind Dallas Clark, losing depth hurts too.

Gekko's point is that losing your 7th round pick should not be the downfall owners who build strong rosters, whether via the draft or free agency. These owners made sure they have quality depth at all positions whenever possible. I'm sure there are teams with players like V.Davis, Shockey, Celek, H.Miller and Shiancoe behind Daniels who will all make for great backups. Other owners did not backup Daniels, whether by choice or by circumstance and they will suffer.

Prior to the start of the season, I don't think too many owners would say that losing their 7th round pick would be the difference maker between winning and losing. If its truly the difference maker now, then the responsibility lies with the owner not being prepared.
For Players. By Players.

Gordon Gekko II

Owen Daniels

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:44 am

probably better than i have stated on this thread. good job nag.

bobsgym13

Owen Daniels

Post by bobsgym13 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:45 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko II:
owners have to start 8 players each week (1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1 Flex). owners thought so much of Daniels that he was the 7th out of the 8 players selected. many owners wanted their 2nd RB or 3rd WR before they wanted Daniels. those are the FACTS. spin them however you want. You are saying that it cannot be all three:

1) A big blow to the team
2) A skillful owner
3) 7th Round pick

Two words = Standard Deviation - One of your 6-10th round picks will almost always be one of your top 2-4 players.

If Daniels is that guy, when you lose him it hurts. The rest of us have weak spots and if backup TE is it and Daniels was your starter - it hurts a lot.

I only have Daniels (& Cooley) in one of my $125 leagues - so I don't have a big dog in the fight.

Bob

[ November 02, 2009, 03:56 PM: Message edited by: Bob Squad ]
Luck in FF is like a game of Russian Roulette. The BWaz's of the world only have one bullet to spin - the rest of us have two. It's still mostly luck, but ...
-By Bob (For Gekko)