The anatomy of a winning squad.

Inf4life

Post by Inf4life » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:02 am

Yes it was directed towards you Billy. Moving on.....
2007 NFFC Classic Champion

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:04 am

I think there are MANY ways to build a winning squad.

To say you need a "top QB" on draft day IMO is not correct, as I have made the playoffs 3 of the 4 years and took my QB's in the 6th, 8th, and 9th rounds in those years. While I won't disagree on paper that there are 4 QB's above the others this year, I would bet that all 4 of the aforementioned QB's do not finish in the top 4 in scoring at year's end. You CAN win with one, but your "meat and potatoes" (RB's and WR) need to be productive also.

Many different ways to skin a cat, so many strategies will work.

[ September 02, 2008, 01:06 PM: Message edited by: BillyWaz ]

joetreff

Post by joetreff » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:14 am

There is no formula, if there was one then it wouldn't work since those players that fit the formula would be overvalued.

You need points, plain and simple, doesn't matter where they come from and there is no formula for it. I got chuckles from picking my 4th WR by the 5th round this year. Guess I got the "RB Depth" league this year...suckers.

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:19 am

Originally posted by felixflamingo:
There is no formula, if there was one then it wouldn't work since those players that fit the formula would be overvalued.

You need points, plain and simple, doesn't matter where they come from and there is no formula for it. Right on FelixFlamingos.

Getting 14 PPG at flex, and only 17 PPG at QB is EXACTLY the same as getting 22 PPG at QB, and 9 PPG at the flex.

joetreff

Post by joetreff » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:33 am

Right, and with 3 Wrs starting, plus 2 Rbs and a Flex a lot of the first 10 draft picks "should" be best player available.

Obviously tiers and postion scarcity are considerations but why take a 10ppg guy like Julius Jones over a 13 ppg guy like Donald Driver when you still have a RB and a Flex spot open?

renman

Post by renman » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:42 am

Not sure why I am chiming in here but there are MANY THINGS that add up to fantasy football success. If there were not so many variables we all would not be so passionate about it. I personally think it is way more about skill than luck. While luck matters and can be a big factor in isolated moments, over the long run... skill will be identified and we will see the same names at the top more often than not.

It still comes down to simply being able to pick/identify who will produce and score points. That combined with knowing how to build a team and handle a draft while managing the team well during the season is what adds up to fantasy success.

I think too many people get wrapped up in what round they go X player who was projected to go earlier. That "steal" does not matter much if that player does not produce. Right now it is all on paper and means very little. I would rather reach in the second round and take Santonio Holmes (hypothetical) because I believe in him (regardless of what the "experts" or ADP lists say) and have him produce rather than get all excited about "stealing" a guy in the 4th round who was supposed to go in the third and he ultimately under performs.

You still have to identify guys who produce.

KOTRAX

Post by KOTRAX » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:50 am

Originally posted by Blue_Foot:
Too early to forcast a winner based on the draft alone...but here are some things I have noticed in my first three years at the NFFC.

1. QB is the most important position. This year there were 4 QBs that are a cut above at draft time (notice I didn't say for the season). Brady, Manning, Romo, Breeze. If you did not get one of these guys, then you need to get lucky to make the playoffs (read you "guessed right"). And, you may have "guessed right"...I certainly don't have a crystal ball. But, anyone who does their homework knows that you need a solid QB and these are the best week in, week out guys. If you have one of these guys on your roster, you get it! You are in position and are just hoping something unexpected doesn't happen as opposed to hoping something works out better than predicted at the position. This may be a function of recent times and old schoolers may be stuck in the "former times" when a top four RB was a must.

2. A top RB is still very important, but only if it is matched with RB depth at the second RB position. You simply have to plan on losing an RB for at least some of the season.

3. You have to have four starting recievers who lead their team (or very close second) in fantasy points and pay close attention to match-ups. You have to be willing to bench your 3rd best WR on any given week if your 4 or 5 has a better match-up. This is easier said than done and in my opinion it only applies to the WR position.

4. Defenses and Kickers should never be depended upon. If you are happy that you have the top rated DF or PK and think it makes up for a 2nd RB or a poor choice at TE, you have probobly already lost.

5. You need a reliable TE and a back-up. TEs are important because you have to play one each week. Like a QB, you have to get it right so you need a TE that is good week in and week out.

So, that's my take and I could be wrong. But, this is the lists of "musts" I put together going into this year's draft. It was the first time I entered with a comprehensive plan...the season will reveal its pros and cons...but I am interested in your takes as well. And, I plan on tweaking it every year until I get it right...LOL!

Cheers! THAT IS GOOD STUFF BLUE FOOT. HOWEVER AS WE KNOW IN FANTAST YOU CAN'T HAVE EVERYTHING YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE HOLES ESPECIALLY IN A 14 TEAM LEAGUE AND THE QUALITY OF TALENT OF OWNERS THE NFFC BRINGS.

IT IS VIRTUALLY IMPOSSIBLE TO COVER EVERY ASPECT OF WHAT IS LISTED ABOVE.

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:22 am

[/qb][/QUOTE]THAT IS GOOD STUFF BLUE FOOT. HOWEVER AS WE KNOW IN FANTAST YOU CAN'T HAVE EVERYTHING YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE HOLES ESPECIALLY IN A 14 TEAM LEAGUE AND THE QUALITY OF TALENT OF OWNERS THE NFFC BRINGS.
[/QB][/quote]

Especially with KOTRAX sitting down the table from you taking your picks! :D

Wayne

Captain Hook

Post by Captain Hook » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:33 am

He better NOT do that this weekend ;)