NO DO OVER DRAFT PICKS NEXT YEAR

Greg Ambrosius

Re: NO DO OVER DRAFT PICKS NEXT YEAR

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:46 pm

gorgo wrote:Since there is no way to confirm whether the problem with a draft pick is the operator or the computer I feel we should consider this not the other drafters problem it is an " act of god " not our concern. With money involved there should be no mercy. Doyle Brunson can not say I discarded the wrong card -- do over. In the end this is gambling no second chances for any reason.
That isn't the answer with technology being less perfect than the drafters. People get booted off computers to no fault of their own and it's easy to fix. Every fix we made tonight slowed the draft down by a few minutes, which may have been a bit of a pain at that time, but every owner left the draft room with the players they wanted and nobody changed picks in the process. There is a way to do this right and a way to meld technology and high-stakes fantasy drafts. It's being done.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Jersey Dawg

Post by Jersey Dawg » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:02 am

The NFFC handles this perfectly. I also appreciate 100% they allow us to fix waiver wire problems if we hit the wrong player to drop (not as much a problem with the better waiver wire system today, but was an issue a few years back).

That said, it does raise an interesting question.... If player 1 takes "A", player 2 takes "B", player 3 takes "C" - then player 1 hits the magic button and says "error" I wanted to take "D" not "A", I understand he can get player "D" due to computer issues, etc. However, I am not sure if players 2 and 3 are "locked into" their picks "B" and "C"....

Can player 2 take either "A" (no longer wanted by player 1)? Can he take "C" the guy player 3 wanted? Can he take "E" a player not called by anyone yet? Or is he locked into taking "B"?

Hard to follow, I know...

Pete

CraigW

Post by CraigW » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:35 am

Jersey Dawg wrote:The NFFC handles this perfectly. I also appreciate 100% they allow us to fix waiver wire problems if we hit the wrong player to drop (not as much a problem with the better waiver wire system today, but was an issue a few years back).

That said, it does raise an interesting question.... If player 1 takes "A", player 2 takes "B", player 3 takes "C" - then player 1 hits the magic button and says "error" I wanted to take "D" not "A", I understand he can get player "D" due to computer issues, etc. However, I am not sure if players 2 and 3 are "locked into" their picks "B" and "C"....

Can player 2 take either "A" (no longer wanted by player 1)? Can he take "C" the guy player 3 wanted? Can he take "E" a player not called by anyone yet? Or is he locked into taking "B"?

Pete
Agreed Pete I'm curious. Could come down to someone taking say Ben Tate to block a Foster owner knowing he doesn't want him but hoping to block the other owner. He calls for a rollback but the Foster owner has already picked. Now the original Tate pick dumps him back in knowing now that his name is out there the Foster owner can't get him for 20 more picks and it's unlikely he will make it back. Shady people will find ways to manipulate this part of the system given an opportunity especially when big $$$ is involved.
The Artist Formerly Known as Hard Heads

CoMoHusker

Post by CoMoHusker » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:06 am

Simple solution, if you don't agree with the rules that Greg and Tom have put in place to account for computer/technology issues, then don't draft online. Play in the live events where it is impossible to encounter a computer issue or have an owner claim one, if that's what you're worried about. The rule is necessary for all the reasons that Tom and Greg have provided in this thread.

Personally, I think they are handling this the best possible way and the few drafts I've been in where the rollback was used, I didn't have a problem with it. Sure, it slows the flow of the draft for a few minutes but in all the cases I've seen, all owners came away happy.
Go Big Red!

gorgo

Post by gorgo » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:27 am

I disaagree the rule should be changed because the do over of draft picks should not even take place. If the player says -- I took the wrong player by mistke thats his error. If he goes to auto pick his list should take care of it. If it does not his pre draft prep was not good enough not the other 13 players proble. Alot of money can be lost by tenths of a point. Covering errors whether operator or mechanical which can never be authenticated and as everyone says do not happen that often which if is the cases should be considered an act of god and better luck next draft. The only people who should be happy withthe current rule are the people who benefit from it who knows how often.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:46 am

Jersey Dawg wrote:The NFFC handles this perfectly. I also appreciate 100% they allow us to fix waiver wire problems if we hit the wrong player to drop (not as much a problem with the better waiver wire system today, but was an issue a few years back).

Pete
Yes Pete. The next teams would be asked if they wanted the player back on the board. Easy to do and was done last night a couple of times.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:47 am

CraigW wrote:

Pete
Agreed Pete I'm curious. Could come down to someone taking say Ben Tate to block a Foster owner knowing he doesn't want him but hoping to block the other owner. He calls for a rollback but the Foster owner has already picked. Now the original Tate pick dumps him back in knowing now that his name is out there the Foster owner can't get him for 20 more picks and it's unlikely he will make it back. Shady people will find ways to manipulate this part of the system given an opportunity especially when big $$$ is involved.
Conspiracy theories....gotta love it.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:52 am

gorgo wrote:I disaagree the rule should be changed because the do over of draft picks should not even take place. If the player says -- I took the wrong player by mistke thats his error. If he goes to auto pick his list should take care of it. If it does not his pre draft prep was not good enough not the other 13 players proble. Alot of money can be lost by tenths of a point. Covering errors whether operator or mechanical which can never be authenticated and as everyone says do not happen that often which if is the cases should be considered an act of god and better luck next draft. The only people who should be happy withthe current rule are the people who benefit from it who knows how often.
gorgo, how many people do you think will sign up for an online contest where the game operator just turns on the switch and says "have fun guys." We not only help during the draft, but we call people if they are running late, stay on the phone with them if they need help during the draft, etc. You're making this out like we should just invite you guys to play, run your credit cards and then just let whoever shows up draft however they like. What kind of contest is that?

It would be like signing you up for live events and having nobody there for the drafts. The room is there, you guys can put up the boards and announce your picks to yourselves. Hell, I'd save money on facilitators, but it would be a crappy event.

We've solved the rollbacks. We've discussed this and now people who don't even play in our events are talking about conspiracy theories involving strategies on rollbacks. Great discussion, I guess, but we now can avoid rollbacks and we'll continue to be in every single online draft until we pass out from exhaustion to make sure everyone gets the picks they wanted online. And if I haven't said that enough with each one of your posts I don't know what to say. Feel free to find a contest where they never post on the boards, don't help customers and don't care who you get in online drafts. They are out there, but the NFFC isn't one of them.

Now if you don't mind, we have draft spots to announce. Good luck man.

Jim Christie

Post by Jim Christie » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:15 am

I completely agree with Greg. In the past, I have had issues and it has been alleviated, it is not that I wanted to pick a different player from I chose unless it was a "technical" error. A number of years ago, I was drafting an online mid-season NFBC game; I was drafting at a friends house and a huge thunderstorm knocked out his power. He had digital phone service and I couldn't call the administrator. I had to drive (very fast) home (20 minutes). I called when I got home, got online and had 3 auto picks. In that case, there was nothing I was going to ask the administrator to do; it was just very BAD LUCK it happened.
I am very happy if something occurs during these drafts and can be alleviated, it should. My only issue, and it has only happened once or twice that I recall, is when the rollback happens and people not the one with the issue, change their pick. That should not occur!
There is no "perfect" system; but the system NFFC/NFBC/STATS has implemented is THE BEST in the industry. I don't believe ESPN, CBS or others have someone sitting at a phone monitoring their drafts. Even sites where they charge don't do that.
The bottom line; if this is something that would deter you from playing this great game with this great management, then go play in your local league or the free sites.
An attitude of gratitude would go a long way to making people happy with what we have here. You could go play WCOFF, but you can't!
Sometimes, people just like to complain and think there is some conspiracy.
I am looking forward to being in NYC tonight for the Super. BTW, the aforementioned online mid-season game where I had difficulty, I was drafting against Magner and lost, I didn't blame NFBC.... :shock: :shock: :shock:

CraigW

Post by CraigW » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:54 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
CraigW wrote:

Pete
Conspiracy theories....gotta love it.
I call it devils advocate but call it what you want. I never said I didn't agree with the decision just chit chatting...
The Artist Formerly Known as Hard Heads