-1 for QB Pick

kjduke

Re: -1 for QB Pick

Post by kjduke » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:42 am

Sandman62 wrote:
kjduke wrote:
Eleven drafted, 10 faab. Every draft late in the season I drafted Tucker except when I got sniped in the 19th round of the Classic, so I took Zuerlein.
Not bad at all. Now confess... how many of these were DCs and he was your 3rd kicker? :P
Those stats are just for my FAAB teams.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:49 am

Sandman62 wrote:
Tom Kessenich wrote:Unlike other positions kicker is one where you can improve the position - sometimes significantly - after the season has begun.
Ding ding ding! We have a winner! :D

Why should the position most of us do the least amount of research on and draft the latest have this advantage over all the other positions that are drafted sooner? I understand, as game operators, why this might be preferred. But as players??? :?
Maybe the answer is to do a better job of research, Mike. I'd view that as a far more reasonable option than removing a critical NFL position entirely or radically adjusting the rules in some fashion. If people like KJ were targeting Tucker or Zeurlein in their drafts I say they should be commended rather than simply dismiss what they've done as an act of "luck." Seems pretty clear that if KJ has Tuckern on that many teams he clearly believed in the guy and as we've seen so far this season that belief has been justified.

I also think it's great for players that they have a chance to improve their team as the season goes along. I don't know about you, but I'd rather not have my season decided in Weeks 1, 2 or 3 and be able to still make moves as the season goes to upgrade my team and give it a better chance for success. As a fantasy player, I welcome that wholeheartedly.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:00 pm

Again Tom, KJ represents a rather isolated incident. C'mon. Be honest. LOOK at the top-12 kickers and how many are either still not on rosters or came from the waiver wire. How relevant was the research for 95% of drafted kickers? :roll:

I realize that there'll always be luck in this hobby. But I do think it can be reduced. Heck, the next logical discussion in this pass-happy era is probably 4-pt passing TDs, 4-pt/100 yds passing and 1/2 PPR? I mean, when a couple players out of 10 can carry our teams many weeks, I do think that amount of luck can be reduced.

But again, I get it where the game operators are coming from here; really I do. So you can stop bashing me over the head with the "Mike's a whiner" club. :P I admit that I'm even on the benefiting side of these in some leagues. I still don't like it. Nor do many other players - even beyond those who would even post here.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:03 pm

I'm not speaking as a game operator, Mike. I'm speaking as a player. As a player I think it's a good thing that I can make moves during the season to upgrade a position. And as a player, I commend fellow players who have good players on their rosters. I also realize that luck/randomness is always going to play a role in fantasy football and you can adjust and manipulate the rules all you want but you'll never be able to remove it or reduce it in any meaningful way.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:20 pm

Pass happy? not much has changed in recent years unless you believe this season will be much different ...

NFL averages ... Cmp-Att, Yds, TD

2011 - 20-34, 243, 21 TD
2010 - 21-34, 237, 22 TD
2009, 20-33, 233, 21 TD

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:22 pm

Wait, so people are unhappy that they have productive players? Really? I find that incredibly hard to believe.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Quahogs

Post by Quahogs » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:27 pm

Having a good kicker ultimately is a penalty. You can't drop him like you can a run-of-the-mill KR so you have to burn a roster spot during his bye week. I propose we have a KR-only reserve spot, kind of a 21 man reserve where we can park the KR for a week. Kind of like a parking garage for your KR.

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:42 pm

kjduke wrote:Pass happy? not much has changed in recent years unless you believe this season will be much different ...

NFL averages ... Cmp-Att, Yds, TD

2011 - 20-34, 243, 21 TD
2010 - 21-34, 237, 22 TD
2009, 20-33, 233, 21 TD
What do NFL averages have to do with a league where we start 12 or 14 of the 32 QBs who contribute to those averages? I suspect that if you showed the data for the top 12 QBs each of the last 5-7 years, there'd be a pretty big spike the last 2-3 years. And the increase in just the top 3-5 QBs would show an even bigger spike.

NFFC teams with a top QB get 15-25% of their total points from just that 1 lineup spot out of their 10.

FWIW, this isn't sour grapes. In my two mains, we have Brees and Brady. But I wouldn't mind seeing a more even contribution from all of the positions - with a slight increase at QB and slight decrease at kicker and DST, due to their different levels of predictability - as a whole across all leagues, notwithstanding occasional outliers like kj's kicker prowess this year (which I wonder if he's usually that successful at kicker year in and year out?).

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:44 pm

Tom Kessenich wrote:Wait, so people are unhappy that they have productive players? Really? I find that incredibly hard to believe.
Twist my words all you want Tom. But you know I meant that many don't like the randomness of kicker scoring and how much that position scores related to others. :roll:

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:47 pm

Sandman62 wrote:Again Tom, KJ represents a rather isolated incident. C'mon. Be honest. LOOK at the top-12 kickers and how many are either still not on rosters or came from the waiver wire. How relevant was the research for 95% of drafted kickers? :roll:

I realize that there'll always be luck in this hobby. But I do think it can be reduced. Heck, the next logical discussion in this pass-happy era is probably 4-pt passing TDs, 4-pt/100 yds passing and 1/2 PPR? I mean, when a couple players out of 10 can carry our teams many weeks, I do think that amount of luck can be reduced.

But again, I get it where the game operators are coming from here; really I do. So you can stop bashing me over the head with the "Mike's a whiner" club. :P I admit that I'm even on the benefiting side of these in some leagues. I still don't like it. Nor do many other players - even beyond those who would even post here.
Mike, our rules really can't be a "flavor of the month" setup. Either we believe in our scoring system as being fair for everyone and enjoyable to our participants or we don't. Through 8+ seasons, they've held up fine. We can't change from 6 points per passing TD to 4 points one year and then back again if TD passes start to fall. Same with kicking points; we initiated this scoring system and it's provided fair kicking points for all teams for 9 years. True, we have changed our scoring format from time to time as we once felt strongly about RBs having 1/2 point per reception and after 8 years changed that. We will make changes, but not just because your kicker is scoring 13 points and mine only 9.

Either you believe in your scoring system or you change it every year. We believe in it. Another contest thinks tight ends should have more value and have placed almost an inordinate amount of value on TEs. I don't see anyone asking them to change. Again, I have no problem with the discussion of changing our scoring for any position, but I'll admit that I've never had any other customer tell me this is a problem with our game. And while KOQ is on board with you here, with as much as we talk I've never once heard this part of our game mentioned to me. So it's all new, but again if others want it addressed at season's end we'll gladly add it to the survey and listen to our customers about this point.

You're carrying the torch: DOWN WITH KICKERS. But I'm believing KJ's arguments more. ;)
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius