biggest FA bust this year

The Franchise

Re: biggest FA bust this year

Post by The Franchise » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:51 am

I think it's all relative when it comes to FAAB pickups. Example: Having several teams we decided that Brown was not worth getting based on the money he was going to cost. But in the Super Auction where we do not have a #2 RB and felt we needed to win we decided he was worth $511 :lol: Plus you never know. At the end of the day it sometimes matters on team need when deciding what a player is worth. IMO
Winning isn't everything, but the will to win is.

JETS SB

Post by JETS SB » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:12 pm

The Franchise wrote:I think it's all relative when it comes to FAAB pickups. Example: Having several teams we decided that Brown was not worth getting based on the money he was going to cost. But in the Super Auction where we do not have a #2 RB and felt we needed to win we decided he was worth $511 :lol: Plus you never know. At the end of the day it sometimes matters on team need when deciding what a player is worth. IMO
Exactly

Shrink Attack

Post by Shrink Attack » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:58 pm

JETS SB wrote:
The Franchise wrote:I think it's all relative when it comes to FAAB pickups. Example: Having several teams we decided that Brown was not worth getting based on the money he was going to cost. But in the Super Auction where we do not have a #2 RB and felt we needed to win we decided he was worth $511 :lol: Plus you never know. At the end of the day it sometimes matters on team need when deciding what a player is worth. IMO
Exactly
Nobody is arguing against that. And nobody is arguing that if you make the playoffs solely by starting Brown that one week, that that isn't a good investment.

But there are some on here insisting that if the final outcome of spending 60% of your FA money is just 20 extra points, then that is worth it and money well spent. That I can never agree with.
"Deserve" ain't got nothin' to do with it
---Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven

chriseibl

Post by chriseibl » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:41 pm

Shrink Attack wrote:
JETS SB wrote:
Exactly
Nobody is arguing against that. And nobody is arguing that if you make the playoffs solely by starting Brown that one week, that that isn't a good investment.

But there are some on here insisting that if the final outcome of spending 60% of your FA money is just 20 extra points, then that is worth it and money well spent. That I can never agree with.
I agree in theory that sounds bad... but excluding defense/kicker pickups (which you don't need big waiver wire money to make), i bet more than 50% of teams get less net value over their replacement player from their highest dollar free agent pickup. heck, my big pickup last year was ryan torain and his 3 starts i lost about 20 points starting him over the marion barber class of running backs. to date, none of the high dollar free agent pickups probably netted anyone more than 20 points over a replacement player. we'll see how powell and green do. (a guy like hartline blew up after he was already rostered in most leagues and therefore was never a guy teams spent big free agent money on).

Shrink Attack

Post by Shrink Attack » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:43 pm

chriseibl wrote:
I agree in theory that sounds bad... but excluding defense/kicker pickups (which you don't need big waiver wire money to make), i bet more than 50% of teams get less net value over their replacement player from their highest dollar free agent pickup. heck, my big pickup last year was ryan torain and his 3 starts i lost about 20 points starting him over the marion barber class of running backs. to date, none of the high dollar free agent pickups probably netted anyone more than 20 points over a replacement player. we'll see how powell and green do. (a guy like hartline blew up after he was already rostered in most leagues and therefore was never a guy teams spent big free agent money on).
It's true that happens fairly often...time will tell.

Hell...I did pick up Hartline on waivers, but had him on the bench during "The Explosion", so I can't even crow about that one...

JETS SB

Post by JETS SB » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:26 pm

Shrink Attack wrote:
JETS SB wrote:
Exactly

I Really dont care if YOU agree or not. For me, I got a win because of the Brown pickup. As I asked before and no one has yet to answer... give me another free agent, no matter what you spent on him, that has made the difference between a win and a loss in any given week. I can guaranty that there are very few. And its all about winning... its not about getting a so called "bargain" free agent. As deep as the drafts are, there are very few good players just sitting out there, waiting to be picked up... and if you have the opportunity to get someone to fill a hole and help you win, you go for it and spend what you need to. Say what you want... I am happy with the move and still have more than enough to fill other holes.

Shrink Attack

Post by Shrink Attack » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:51 am

JETS SB wrote:
I Really dont care if YOU agree or not. For me, I got a win because of the Brown pickup. As I asked before and no one has yet to answer... give me another free agent, no matter what you spent on him, that has made the difference between a win and a loss in any given week. I can guaranty that there are very few. And its all about winning... its not about getting a so called "bargain" free agent. As deep as the drafts are, there are very few good players just sitting out there, waiting to be picked up... and if you have the opportunity to get someone to fill a hole and help you win, you go for it and spend what you need to. Say what you want... I am happy with the move and still have more than enough to fill other holes.
You apparently have trouble understanding simple points. I'm not arguing against the pick up. I basically said that if picking up that extra 20 points is the difference between winning and losing, then it's worth it. If you're saying that it did make the difference between a win and a loss for you, then that was probably worth doing. If instead it's simply adding 20 more points to your total, then it's not worth 60% of your FA money, in my opinion.

And that's all it is...an opinion. You have one, I have one, they're equally valid. I'm expressing mine, you're expressing yours. I don't seek for you to CARE about agreeing with me.

That's about as simple as I can put it for you. I'm now done with this topic.