$996

Coltsfan

Re: $996

Post by Coltsfan » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:11 pm

But Billy......lol. If I spent $952 on Gordon and you spent $600 on him. Then my only difference is that I get one less shot at a breakout player, correct? Most of them go $200 - $600 on the waiver wire. So that's one less pickup for me verses someone who bought Gordon for $600 and the success rate of that pickup is 1/10 probably at best.

Wayne

ALL-IN JD - Football

Post by ALL-IN JD - Football » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:22 pm

Appearing on ESPN's NFL Insiders Thursday, Adam Schefter reported Josh Gordon would still be looking at a suspension in the event of a new drug agreement, possibly in the range of 6-10 games.
Per Schefter, the NFL and NFLPA are hoping to finalize a new agreement by Thursday evening. It's suspected Wes Welker's ban will be wiped out, but Gordon's case is trickier since his positive test came during the 2013 league year. At the end of the day, we're unlikely to know Gordon's fate before the league makes an official announcement. There's simply too much conflicting information right now.

morons

Post by morons » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:50 pm

The question is....If he violated the OLD agreement, and he is punished under the OLD agreement, does that mean a NEW agreement allows him to be re-punished under the NEW agreement?

Likewise, if I get a speeding ticket for going 50mph in 40mph zone, and 6 months later the speeding limit is changed to 50mph, does that mean I'm entitled to have my punishment changed and get a refund of the speeding ticket fine I paid because NOW I wouldn't be in violation of the speeding limit anymore??

I don't put much into what the "expert" analysts say. After all, just last week they were all speculating that Andre Ellington was going to miss 4-6 weeks minimum. Those people don't know anything more than the rest of us.

renman

Post by renman » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:04 pm

I suppose I am in the minority as I do not believe he is/was worth a $900+ faab bid. One of the mistakes many people make (though significantly less in the NFFC community where players are of the highest skill) is base things on last year. yes, LAST YEAR Gordon had a season for the ages. If somehow it were a certainty that he would produce on that level again and there was some solid evidence he is going to play 8+ games maybe he is worth that massive investment. I think there are many things working against him.

-IF he gets reinstate he is still going to face some suspension and the NFL has the cross hairs of the entire nation on it now so I doubt we will see much leniency when it comes to player punishment.
-What happened last year was under a different coaching staff. year to year things change a lot.
-Last year they had limited ability to run the football. This year they can run it.
-He has proven to be a man who lacks personal discipline. Over the last 3-4 weeks when he thought he was done for the year do people think he has been working hard to stay in shape? He seems like a pulled hammy waiting to happen.
-I disagree that the QB situation doesn't matter. I think if/when Manziel comes in it would profoundly hurt his value. Manziel did not look ready to play to me. Sure, Manziel will hoist up some deep balls occasionally as he scrambles around. But the key to being a top 10 WR is target volume. Not the occasional big play (see Torry Smith and Desean Jackson.

I agree few true difference makers show up on the free agent wire. I would not want to be handcuffed in week 2 given how many unpredictable things happen throughout an NFL season. Just one mans opinion who bid $289 on Gordon! lol

chriseibl

Post by chriseibl » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:14 pm

renman wrote:I suppose I am in the minority as I do not believe he is/was worth a $900+ faab bid. One of the mistakes many people make (though significantly less in the NFFC community where players are of the highest skill) is base things on last year. yes, LAST YEAR Gordon had a season for the ages. If somehow it were a certainty that he would produce on that level again and there was some solid evidence he is going to play 8+ games maybe he is worth that massive investment. I think there are many things working against him.

-IF he gets reinstate he is still going to face some suspension and the NFL has the cross hairs of the entire nation on it now so I doubt we will see much leniency when it comes to player punishment.
-What happened last year was under a different coaching staff. year to year things change a lot.
-Last year they had limited ability to run the football. This year they can run it.
-He has proven to be a man who lacks personal discipline. Over the last 3-4 weeks when he thought he was done for the year do people think he has been working hard to stay in shape? He seems like a pulled hammy waiting to happen.
-I disagree that the QB situation doesn't matter. I think if/when Manziel comes in it would profoundly hurt his value. Manziel did not look ready to play to me. Sure, Manziel will hoist up some deep balls occasionally as he scrambles around. But the key to being a top 10 WR is target volume. Not the occasional big play (see Torry Smith and Desean Jackson.

I agree few true difference makers show up on the free agent wire. I would not want to be handcuffed in week 2 given how many unpredictable things happen throughout an NFL season. Just one mans opinion who bid $289 on Gordon! lol
I'm about as negative on Gordon's value as anyone this year. But he still seems likely to be a top 15 receiver (if playing) despite all the above, too much talent. That alone likely makes you win free agency if he works out. I agree with some of your points above but they really just take Gordon down from being a late first rounder to a late 2nd rounder.

At the drafts in Vegas, Greg asked where people thought Gordon should go if this suspension stuff didn't happen and I said after Jeffery/Cobb late 2nd. Of the people who responded, that was by far the lowest opinion of everyone at the draft table. If you're talking about a guy who should unquestionably be a 2nd round pick, then spend, spend, spend.
Last edited by chriseibl on Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:15 pm

renamn,

I was looking for something that I could agree with you on and I just couldn't find anything....lol.

Wayne

Old School

Post by Old School » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:57 pm

Glenneration X wrote:
King of Queens wrote:
Glenneration X wrote: I took him in the 9th round of a $20K league
8.09, and you pissed off a lot of people (myself included) :lol:

I almost took both Welker and Gordon at the 7/8 turn -- settled on just Welker. Curious to hear Jack's thoughts if taking Welker/Gordon would have been "risk-taking" or sheer lunacy.
Ahh yes, you're right. It was the 8th round. Now that you bring it up, I do recall your Welker pick clearly. I remember the pick and after the quick turn when the draft made it back to you, you and Mark huddling and discussing. I was sure you were going to double up with Gordon. I remember being surprised when you didn't and hoping he'd make it the half dozen or so picks back to me where I was prepared to take him.

Well, he did make it back and I did take him.

The 9th round is where I had been targeting him for the entire weekend after the news broke. I did manage to snag him there a couple times, but more often than not missed out by a pick or two. Each time I remember being a little disappointed.

Of greater disappointment is the short time period between the early drafts where I was targeting Gordon consistently and the late drafts referenced above, where there was that brief time everyone, including myself, passed on Gordon completely following the arbitration ruling and prior to the news of the union involvement. I wish I had been just a little more consistent and grabbed Gordon in the 20th rounds of those drafts. Well, at least I have Theo Riddick and Bryce Brown and others of that ilk that I grabbed there instead. :?

Going back to the topic at hand, I guess my argument isn't in regards to whether Gordon is worth the "risk", but whether he is worth an all-in bid this early in the season.... or if any player is. An 8th, 9th, or 10th round pick (or even a far earlier one) handcuffs a team far less than having no FAAB remaining for the final 12 of 13 FAAB periods in a no-trade league.
Glenn,

i did a main with you and Gordon was taken in the 11th round.......
Are u referring to rounds 8-9 target in NFFC drafts only?

particra

Post by particra » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:59 pm

The only way Gordon isn't worth $800-900 is if the suspension holds. If he plays 12-13 games, he's totally worth it.

If he gets an 8 game suspension, that's tough. Because of Cleveland's early bye, that means he can' play for you until Week 10 at the earliest. He's not allowed near the team during that time. He won't be in the best shape. Probably not money well spent, but still worth a shot depending on your team makeup.

bald is beautiful

Post by bald is beautiful » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:08 pm

particra wrote:The only way Gordon isn't worth $800-900 is if the suspension holds. If he plays 12-13 games, he's totally worth it.

If he gets an 8 game suspension, that's tough. Because of Cleveland's early bye, that means he can' play for you until Week 10 at the earliest. He's not allowed near the team during that time. He won't be in the best shape. Probably not money well spent, but still worth a shot depending on your team makeup.
I agree 100%. Game 10 would be a painful pill to swallow, but he's there for the stretch run while the $ is on the line.

got heeem

Post by got heeem » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:13 pm

wasted $$ 996 . you might get him back, you might of just wasted your faab for the year.way to much risk for a dopehead .