3RR In The NFFC: Necessary Or Unnecessary Evil?

got heeem

Re: 3RR In The NFFC: Necessary Or Unnecessary Evil?

Post by got heeem » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:23 am

Well for one, this year I have played MANY 10/12 person leagues W/O 3RR on other sites.Without question the lower your draft spot the better your team.It's not even close,teams at 1-4 are monsters and the rest your always fighting a uphill battle the whole draft.So if you drop 3rr it would be a big mistake.New players don't just jump in a $1600 LEAGUE.They start out with small DC & SAT leagues and work their way up.By the time they play in a Main they know or think they know how to play 3rr.

Rog

Post by Rog » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:45 am

Greg would it be possible to put up the last random 50 kds preferences with no names attached to see whatthe general public is thinking in regards to kds? If you already have or that is giving away too much information I understand. Maybe even a simple breakdown as to which number was picked first the most and which one was last?

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:47 am

Rog wrote:Greg would it be possible to put up the last random 50 kds preferences with no names attached to see whatthe general public is thinking in regards to kds? If you already have or that is giving away too much information I understand. Maybe even a simple breakdown as to which number was picked first the most and which one was last?
Roger, this is on the boards. I've been tracking KDS all off-season here and KDS is working pretty well:

http://nffcforums.stats.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=13966
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Rog

Post by Rog » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:12 am

yep just saw it thanks Greg

Jim Wiseheart

Post by Jim Wiseheart » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:08 am

I love KDS and would be in favor of keeping it with or without 3RR. I don't think it is a given that I would set my KDS at 1-12 without 3RR. This year is a case in point. If you feel there is no clear cut #1 and feel there is a drop-off in value after 20 to 22 picks, you might likely set your KDS at 4,3,2,1 and then 5-12, so that you might get one of your top 4 that you consider relatively equal and also get #21 before you think there is a drop-off in value. There would still be a use for KDS without 3RR. If a novice player doesn't want to set KDS, they don't have to and will get their 1-12 preference. Maybe that just needs to be emphasized more, that you don't HAVE to do anything with KDS. I use KDS in my 10 team local league. Usually about 6 guys set it and 4 don't. This year 7 guys got a top 3 pick. It's pretty nice to have 7 guys feel happy about their draft slot and only have one guy moaning about his spot.

I also like 3RR, but could adapt and play without it. My opinion (without data to prove it) is that it might be slightly more advantageous on the back end with 3RR and slightly more advantageous on the front end without it. I don't know if you can ever achieve a perfect balance, especially year-to-year with the NFL constantly changing. I do know that without it, I can't envision very many scenarios where I would want to draft at the back. With it you can at least see scenarios based on ADP where you can draft a reasonably good team from any spot. I know there were more winners from the back end last year, but it is hard to determine how much of that was due to RB issues in the front of the first round last year. It would be interesting to see a tally of winners (or maybe even top 3 finishers) by slot since the NFFC introduced 3RR.

ulbkumn

Post by ulbkumn » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:58 am

Just Based on current ADP

PICK 1

Team 3RR
1st rd pick 1 A Brown
2nd rd pick 12 Ty Hilton
3rd rd pick 12 J Edelman
4th rd pick 1 M Ingram
5th rd pick 12 T Gurley

Snake
1st rd pick 1 A Brown
2nd rd pick 12 Ty Hilton
3rd rd pick 1 L McCoy
4th rd pick 12 T Kelce
5th rd pick 1 C Hyde

PICK 12

Team 3RR
1st rd pick 12 AJ Green
2nd rd pick 1 CJ Anderson
3rd rd pick 1 L McCoy
4th rd pick 12 T Kelce
5th rd pick 1 C Hyde

Snake
1st rd pick 12 AJ Green
2nd rd pick 1 CJ Anderson
3rd rd pick 12 J Edelman
4th rd pick 1 M Ingram
5th rd pick 12 T Gurley

I dont understand how 3RR is a bad thing. This discussion should occur at the end of the season when we can look at the results.
LeVeon Bell and A Brown seem to be the only players going in the Top 4 in every draft. If everybody is in agreement that these 2 players are the best way to start your draft than everybody should want the a top pick. The only reason they don't want a early pick is because they want a better 3rd round pick. I personally like a top 2 pick in the 1st rd. a top 5 pick in the 2nd rd. A top 5 pick in the 3rd rd and a top 5 pick in the 4th rd. So where should I pick from? Everybody has their own rankings and should take advantage of the NFFC KDS and 3RR. If you think its unfair to draft at the end of the draft then just go ahead and draft there. If you like the first half, then draft there. :? :? :?

The Franchise

Post by The Franchise » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:00 pm

shark wrote:I completely disagree. The On-Line championship is a high stakes national championship with a $100k Grand Prize.
Are you saying we will attract more users to this contest by giving them the 12 hole in a straight serpentine draft?
I think NOT! :o

We likely will lose more participants to this event than we will gain.

So let's put it to a vote?

How many of the Die Hard veterans here would participate in the On-line Championship if we change it next year to a straight serpentine snake draft without KDS ?

How many would reduce the number of leagues they participate in ?

Let's here it Guys!

If your response is to my post, then I'm not sure you understood what I said? The Online Championship has the most signups of any of the events the NFFC runs. Why do you think that is? By you asking how many Die Hard veterans would participate in the Online if 3RR was removed goes to show that you don't get my point. At a $350 entry the NFFC attracts a lot more casual players or let's just say your average Joe. It has nothing to do with what Die hard, Veterans or high volume players think. It has to do with how to grow the contest.

My opinion is that they would attract a lot more players (Your average Joe who can afford a $350 entry) without 3RR because it is not mainstream. Humans are creatures of habit and the general public like to stick with what they know. The masses understand straight serpentine drafts not 3RR. The customer service Greg and Tom provide is top notch. The grand prize of 100K is a big enough carrot for the average Joe to want to spend $350 to take a shot. The one obstacle is the general public not being familiar with 3RR. I said in my post above that I am in favor of 3RR and KDS, I'm just playing devil's advocate is all.

BTW, not sure if you would consider me a die-hard veteran, but I would join the same amount of Online leagues next year if it wasn't 3RR. My vote ;)
Winning isn't everything, but the will to win is.

The Franchise

Post by The Franchise » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:13 pm

got heeem wrote:Well for one, this year I have played MANY 10/12 person leagues W/O 3RR on other sites.Without question the lower your draft spot the better your team.It's not even close,teams at 1-4 are monsters and the rest your always fighting a uphill battle the whole draft.So if you drop 3rr it would be a big mistake.New players don't just jump in a $1600 LEAGUE.They start out with small DC & SAT leagues and work their way up.By the time they play in a Main they know or think they know how to play 3rr.

That is a subjective opinion. You may "think" the teams in the 1-4 hole are monster teams, but until the end of the season when we have the results it's all just opinion.

If at the end of the season a large % of league winners + Overall championship teams were drafted from the 1-4 holes then you have yourself a case. Funny thing is, is that I think with the way the 1st round is all over the place this year you can win from any spot in the draft. I don't think any one spot has an advantage over another. I might have a preference, but that's different.
Winning isn't everything, but the will to win is.

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:34 pm

shark wrote:I completely disagree. The On-Line championship is a high stakes national championship with a $100k Grand Prize.
Are you saying we will attract more users to this contest by giving them the 12 hole in a straight serpentine draft?
I think NOT! :o

We likely will lose more participants to this event than we will gain.

So let's put it to a vote?

How many of the Die Hard veterans here would participate in the On-line Championship if we change it next year to a straight serpentine snake draft without KDS ?

How many would reduce the number of leagues they participate in ?

Let's here it Guys!
Do you play in any leagues over $350, Shark?

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:26 pm

Here's the data from the 2014 Primetime and where the league winners and top teams drafted from:

http://nffcforums.stats.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=13964

Here is the same data for the 2014 Classic:

http://nffcforums.stats.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=13960
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius