Feedback on Free Agent pickups during playoffs

BillyWaz

Re: Feedback on Free Agent pickups during playoffs

Post by BillyWaz » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:00 am

I originally said totally against it, but was just considering the national contests when I spoke.

I would be OK with extending it for contained leagues (after all, how many do the majority of us really do that it would add so much more time with all the other leagues completed?) It should go to the highest POINTS through 13 weeks in the event of a tie. They earned it over that time, and less and less emphasis seems to be put on the 13 weeks nowadays (although the NFFC does the best job of anyone IMO).

Prior to week 13, I picked up Scott Chandler in the NY Super for the "playoff run".

My tight ends are Martellus Bennett, Charles Clay, and Scott Chandler. :(

That $1 could help right about now........as Chandler is the ONLY one of the bunch that has the opportunity to score points for me today.....and it is a small one at that! :)

Sabretooth

Post by Sabretooth » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:19 am

Ummm yes Chad i do play in stand alone leagues as well. Which is probably why I care. I don't like the idea of free agency in the playoffs at all. Seem's like some amateur B.S to me. But i'm sure you will come up with some long winded response to why it isn't,which I probably won't respond to :D

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:33 am

Cocktails and Dreams wrote:If that seems like it would be too big an advantage(and most years a robinson situation probably wont happen) another option is to still give everyone a buck. However, if there are multiple bids on a player, then nobody gets the player. So in this case nobody would get robinson unless the other three already used their move. It also allows everyone to have a fallback emergency plan. I believe last year Santos went into diamond with 6 wides. Ended up with 2 healthy guys by the end. Just a miserable feeling not being able to do anything about it. Maybe this would be something you would be more comfortable with as the game operator. I know I would be more comfortable as a player with this in place, and it would not create a lot of extra work which some don't want. I think either option is better than ending it week 13 in contained leagues. Almost every league out there has free agency go through the end, and I think it should be considered here at the NFFC well Your contained leagues are really great already, and that minor tweak would improve them even more IMO.
I'm not against rules changes in future years, but this seems like a bigger one than folks are anticipating. I sure would like to vett this thoroughly before just adding one player in the playoffs. Again, with $130,000 on the line in the Platinum and owners battling through Draft Day and 13 weeks of FAAB, I'd sure hate for all that money to be won by a "fortunate" pickup. It could be Denard Robinson by the top scoring team during the regular season, but it also could be Bryce Brown or someone else by the 4th place team who never would have won the top prize without that one fortunate free agent pickup in Week 15. Let's think this through thoroughly because there is a LOT of prize money on the line in these leagues and all it takes is one guy to change the final standings.

Like Billy said, he's looking for a tight end to fill a need, so the rule would help him today. But one playoff pickup isn't just filling a need; it could be a 40-point RB who got the start because of an injury in Week 13. Tim Hightower would have been that guy last week, right? Denard Robinson is that guy this week? Right now they are likely on the sidelines in these private leagues, but with this rule change they could be fantasy MVPs in each league.

Again, the example above of Mike Santos couldn't be completely corrected with one free agent pickup. We're all going to suffer injuries over a 3-week playoff. But I do understand the desire for a playoff fill-in. Let's just make sure we're making the contest better, not worse with any move we approve.

I'd like to vett this much further and hear from more of these owners. We've never been afraid to make changes in the NFFC, but I see negative consequences to this one as well as positive ones. Carry on.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

JETS SB

Post by JETS SB » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:09 am

BillyWaz wrote:I originally said totally against it, but was just considering the national contests when I spoke.

I would be OK with extending it for contained leagues (after all, how many do the majority of us really do that it would add so much more time with all the other leagues completed?) It should go to the highest POINTS through 13 weeks in the event of a tie. They earned it over that time, and less and less emphasis seems to be put on the 13 weeks nowadays (although the NFFC does the best job of anyone IMO).

Prior to week 13, I picked up Scott Chandler in the NY Super for the "playoff run".

My tight ends are Martellus Bennett, Charles Clay, and Scott Chandler. :(

That $1 could help right about now........as Chandler is the ONLY one of the bunch that has the opportunity to score points for me today.....and it is a small one at that! :)
Here is the prime example of why it works. Billy is not a guy who is unprepared or an inferior player. He is an excellent player who went into the playoffs with 3 tight ends. Now he has none. This happens more often than you think, especially over the past two years, with all of the injuries. Being able to pick up a tight end this week, would not be considered "luck" to me, unless you want to consider Billy's situation bad luck. I think the comments about good, experienced players not needing a pickup because they are prepared, is unfair and an insult to those being hit badly by the injury bug, at tight end and running back. When you only have to start one tight end, how many are you supposed to roster for 3 weeks? No more than what Billy did. This is a standalone league and I am in this league with Billy. I would have no problem at all if he was able to pick up a tight end as his one move. I would likely pick up a running back, since I lost Blount and McCluster. I think it all evens out.

nails

Post by nails » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:11 am

greg, I simply don't understand the issue here. If you have a playoff going on whether big league or small and each team knows day one that you have to save your free agent money for the playoffs, then everyone has the same exact chance of getting these free agents during playoff time.. If a team doesn't have the money during free agent time to get the player he wants so be it. that's his fault same like normal free agency. If you know the rule is in place, then you save your money especially if you know your team is playoff worthy. I honestly don't get the argument that a team could win on a pickup of denard Robinson? good for them if they saved their money to pick up the guy in the 1st place.. and shame on the guy that DID NOT HAVE Robinson as a handcuff for YELDON to begin with. that's SKILL not luck. I just don't understand the arguments the other way
Bring it on .

Route C

Post by Route C » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:24 am

Cocktails and Dreams wrote:
Sabretooth wrote:I might as well pile on and say totally against this.

Do you even play in any stand alone leagues? If not, why do you care?
Chad is that kind of response really necessary! Very condescending and the very reason I had trouble with you on the MB awhile back. Others have told me "Chads a really nice guy in person" I want to believe that but the way you treat people here "in print" is the same as "in person" to me.

This is the 21st century man. Equality is a big deal....even opinions on the MB. If you can't treat people that way here then maybe you should change your MB name to "The Donald" to better represent who you are.

Cocktails and Dreams

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:02 pm

Sabretooth wrote:Ummm yes Chad i do play in stand alone leagues as well. Which is probably why I care. I don't like the idea of free agency in the playoffs at all. Seem's like some amateur B.S to me. But i'm sure you will come up with some long winded response to why it isn't,which I probably won't respond to :D

Which ones are you in? I didn't mean to sound how Route C suggested. I apologize if you took offense. Just seems like we haven't been able to make much progress without people thinking this is main event discussion and you are not in any of the contained leagues that I am in, and didn't know there were some others. Due to what Billy dealt with this week, and the fact that everywhere else besides the FFWC has free agency in contained leagues, I would like to make sure that the NFFC is taking the best course, as I don't think they are. Looking for feedback from those that are in contained leagues. If you are indeed one of them, then I appreciate the feedback. Please accept my apology if you took offense to me asking if you play in any.
Last edited by Cocktails and Dreams on Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jocjunior1

Post by jocjunior1 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:09 pm

No chance

Cocktails and Dreams

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:23 pm

Route C wrote:
Cocktails and Dreams wrote:
Sabretooth wrote:I might as well pile on and say totally against this.

Do you even play in any stand alone leagues? If not, why do you care?
Chad is that kind of response really necessary! Very condescending and the very reason I had trouble with you on the MB awhile back. Others have told me "Chads a really nice guy in person" I want to believe that but the way you treat people here "in print" is the same as "in person" to me.

This is the 21st century man. Equality is a big deal....even opinions on the MB. If you can't treat people that way here then maybe you should change your MB name to "The Donald" to better represent who you are.

Duly noted. I Agree. In print is same is in person to me as well. Can you please explain how asking someone if they play in contained leagues is condescending?. This post was more condescending than mine IMO. I asked a question. I didn't make any accusations. You did though. I did apologize if he took it that way. It was not my intent.