Week 3 VENT Thread!

Post by Glenneration X » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:47 am

Originally posted by Raiders:
quote:Originally posted by Glenneration X:
Glenn you don't respect yourself? :D

John
[/QUOTE]In my profession, no doubt.
As a father, absolutely.
As a husband, son, brother, friend, or neighbor, yes, yes, yes, yes, & yes.

As a Fantasy Football player.....I used to, until this weekend.....
Ask me again next week.... ;) .

Glenn

Raiders

Week 3 VENT Thread!

Post by Raiders » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:57 am

Originally posted by Glenneration X:
quote:Originally posted by Raiders:

John
As a father, absolutely.

Glenn
[/QUOTE]'In my profession, no doubt'.

Your a Cashier. :rolleyes:

John

mikeybok

Week 3 VENT Thread!

Post by mikeybok » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:31 am

Originally posted by Route C:
Gotta admit...this is a good point. I echo the "good for Wayne" cheer but honestly...if this was a big skill thing then why wasn't Wayne in this position last year...or the year before...or the year before.

Why hasn't Billy won it all...why hasn't anyone repeated in 5 years?
Let me answer these questions.

Wayne was in Vegas .. the two years before that he was in Chicago ... competition real does make a difference.

Consistently winning (cashing) in your leagues is a skill ... winning a 3 week shoot out is more luck than skill (like H2H each week). I think it takes more skill to repeat as league champion ... than win the 100K and only be good for that one year IMO. Of course ... I would rather be lucky than good.

Big Mike
Hakuna Matata!

bobsgym13

Week 3 VENT Thread!

Post by bobsgym13 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:47 am

From my earlier post:

"Each of us owns a set of dice. The least skilled owners start out with five six-sided dice and the advanced owners have upgraded some or all of their dice to eight-sided.

We all roll and the highest total wins. Increased skill earns a higher potential and chance drives the rest.

It really is that simple."

Wayne has rolled an unusual number of 'eights' - some of you have them and they haven't rolled and some of us just don't have them to roll.

This explains why he doesn't do it every year and at the same time has a better than average skill set.

Bob
Luck in FF is like a game of Russian Roulette. The BWaz's of the world only have one bullet to spin - the rest of us have two. It's still mostly luck, but ...
-By Bob (For Gekko)

Sandman62

Week 3 VENT Thread!

Post by Sandman62 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:30 am

Originally posted by KOTRAX:
I WAS GOING TO START A SIMILAR THREAD. :D :D

ALSO I THINK RBBC HAS RUINED THE LANDSCAPE OF FANTASY FOOTBALL TO A DEGREE.

DON'T GET ME WRONG IT IS STILL FUN BUT IN A LEAGUE TODAY WHEN SO MANY TEAMS ROTATE BACKS IT'S CRAZY.

YOU REALLY CAN'T PROJECT ANYTHING.Can't you at least then project that "maybe RBs are less predictable, therefore maybe I should wait on them and stock up on top-shelf, proven, more reliable WRs, QBs and maybe even TEs?"

That was our strategy this year (and yes, I know it's only been 3 weeks, so I'm not declaring victory yet ;) ). As much as we all know that each draft is different and we have to see how it progresses, I do believe a basic script can be made. IOW, "I'm ready to adapt as necessary, but THIS would be my dream draft (as far as what positions we'd draft in each of the first 6 or 7 rounds)". And if the players we want in each round fall to us so that we can actually follow our script, then why not?

Using projected stats and a spreadsheet with NFFC scoring rules and after dozens of mock drafts, we drew the conclusion (right or wrong, as I'm sure many strategies can succeed) that we really wanted to start both main event drafts w/ 2 top-10 WRs, then if Manning or Rodgers fell to the 3rd, scoop them up. With the NFFC scoring, it just seemed to us that there's a premium on the very top QBs. We knew we wouldn't be drafting any RBs til round 4 this way, so we'd have to stock up on them over the next several rounds. Essentially, if we take a shotgun to shoot fish in a barrel, we might actually hit a couple.

In the Classic, we went Wayne, Colston, Rodgers, then stocked up at RB w/ LJ (ick), Parker, Bradshaw and Washington in back-to-back rounds 4-7. Steve Smith in the 8th was someone we targeted for his PPR upside, but never expected him to be THIS good (at least so far).

In the Primetime, we went Moss, Boldin, Manning, then grabbed Bush, Moreno, Wells, Hightower and McGahee (not back-to-back though, but bunched together except for McGahee in the 11th). Dallas Clark in the 6th (whom we considered as sure a thing among TEs as top WRs are) has certainly helped too.

Have ALL of our RB2/RB3 types hit yet? Of course not. But every year it seems that around half of the top RBs (first 2 rounds) don't perform as projected, and of course, by year's end, 1/3-1/2 of the actual top RBs came out of mid-round nowhere. So with such unpredictability, RBBCs, increased injury risks of RBs, why not use early picks on less "luck-affected" players, then throw a bunch of darts at RB. This leaves us without any true RB1s, but the hope is that our top WRs and QB can makeup the difference.

Of course, injuries are the almighty wildcard. And we've been there, done that too. Let's hope not THIS year tho.

[ September 28, 2009, 03:33 PM: Message edited by: Sandman62 ]

Gordon Gekko II

Week 3 VENT Thread!

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:41 am

Laurent Robinson is done for the season with a fractured fibula and a high right ankle sprain.

Yes, two more of my teams suffer more injuries. One team started A.Gonzo, L.Moore, L.Robinson.

Glenneration X

Week 3 VENT Thread!

Post by Glenneration X » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:44 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko II:
Laurent Robinson is done for the season with a fractured fibula and a high right ankle sprain.

Yes, two more of my teams suffer more injuries. One team started A.Gonzo, L.Moore, L.Robinson. This really hurts....I have Robinson on a ton of teams. Ahhh well, par for the course this season.

Glenn

Glenneration X

Week 3 VENT Thread!

Post by Glenneration X » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:46 am

Originally posted by Raiders:
quote:Originally posted by Raiders:

John
As a father, absolutely.

Glenn
[/QUOTE]'In my profession, no doubt'.

Your a Cashier. :rolleyes:

John
[/QUOTE]Yup.....I do make my company a lot of cash.

Glenn

Gordon Gekko II

Week 3 VENT Thread!

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:01 am

Originally posted by Glenneration X:
This really hurts....I have Robinson on a ton of teams. Ahhh well, par for the course this season.

Glenn Glenn - Maybe we should stick with baseball? :D

[ September 28, 2009, 04:02 PM: Message edited by: Gordon Gekko II ]

Glenneration X

Week 3 VENT Thread!

Post by Glenneration X » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:04 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko II:
This really hurts....I have Robinson on a ton of teams. Ahhh well, par for the course this season.

Glenn Glenn - Maybe we should stick with baseball? :D
[/QUOTE]You might have something there Mark!!!

Too bad I love this freakin' game...
though my love is getting tested :( .

Glenn