robert meachem

mkrucek

robert meachem

Post by mkrucek » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:07 am

If Meachem got tackled it would have been 1st and ten for the Saints at that point. Meachem is now a defense player. Had he been tackled would the Saint's D have been credited with FR? Yes, it appears so as they did get credit for 3 FRs. That would have been that. But he had to go score. I say blame Moore for letting Meachem strip him.
You'll be fine long as your pretty face holds out, then it's gonna get pretty cold out...

BillyWaz

robert meachem

Post by BillyWaz » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:08 am

Originally posted by Ugly Yellow Tomatoes:
The rules haven't changed no matter how much people "NEED" them to. We can discuss rule changes for next year. We should only implement rules for this season and not try to decide if they make sense or are fair or should be changed in the middle of the contest.

No different than discussing things like "if a throwing TD should be worth 4 points instead of six to a QB for week 13" the Monday after those games have been played.

Just a thought. Agreed Mike.

I would have LOVED to get Eddie Royal's TWO return TD's (especially since he didn't score ANYTHING on offense) against the Chargers, BUT....it wasn't in the rules.

It appears that the rules here state that the defense gets the TD, and not the individual player. While it may seem stupid or unfair, you simply can't change rules MID SEASON.

This would be a good topic for NEXT year and beyond......"The Meachem/Saints fiasco". :D

RedRyder

robert meachem

Post by RedRyder » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:20 am

Originally posted by 4D:
quote:Originally posted by OrCal Crapshooters:
Tom

Possession changed when Washington intercepted. That didn't make the interceptor an offensive player. He is still defense. Meachem is still an offensive player as long as the offense is on the field. The punter wasn't on the field or the return team. The defense was watching from the sidelines. You can't have one team playing offense and defense and the other only defense. Sounds confusing I know, but that is what you are saying. This isn't covered in any rules that I see online so it appears to be an NFFC call. Let me say I have been playing organized Fantasy football for 29 years and have never had this play ruled in this manner.Again, Meachem was an offensive player on the field. Seems like a common sense call to me. That's my opinion.

Mark Not true, CBS, WCOFF and FFPC all give credit to the defense.
[/QUOTE]I was just over at the WCFF MB and Dustin posted:

"Per the WCOFF Rules the scoring for this play is as follows -

Washington - 2 points for the interception
New Orleans - 2 points for recovering a fumble
Robert Meachem - 6 points for scoring the TD"

Not sure how they arrived at that, as he didn't expand upon his explanation.

Interesting they are giving Meacham the TD. Glad I'm not a Commish, I can see both sides of the story, tough call.
@RedRyder

Coltsfan

robert meachem

Post by Coltsfan » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:40 am

I have to agree with Mike and Jim. This is all about being consistent and since this has already been ruled on the nffc has no choice but to award the points as they have in the past. I could honestly care less which way it is done in the future just as long as it's clear going in how the scoring works.

Wayne

Old School

robert meachem

Post by Old School » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:47 am

Originally posted by RedRyder:
quote:Originally posted by 4D:
Tom

Possession changed when Washington intercepted. That didn't make the interceptor an offensive player. He is still defense. Meachem is still an offensive player as long as the offense is on the field. The punter wasn't on the field or the return team. The defense was watching from the sidelines. You can't have one team playing offense and defense and the other only defense. Sounds confusing I know, but that is what you are saying. This isn't covered in any rules that I see online so it appears to be an NFFC call. Let me say I have been playing organized Fantasy football for 29 years and have never had this play ruled in this manner.Again, Meachem was an offensive player on the field. Seems like a common sense call to me. That's my opinion.

Interesting they are giving Meacham the TD. Glad I'm not a Commish, I can see both sides of the story, tough call.
[/QUOTE]Jules,

The WCOFF is simply not consistent it would seem.
They have never awarded individual players points for special teams/defense scoring (much to my chagrin in 2006 when Reggie Bush had a google of punt return TD's)

If they award 2 points to New Orleans defense, then they are stating that Meachem is part of the defense at that point. Hence, no individual points can be awarded. It would be awarded to team defense. How can you have a defense awarded for picking up the ball and not for carrying it in to the endzone?

Signed,
Confused

kjduke

robert meachem

Post by kjduke » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:54 am

I'd like to see a "Meachem rule" in the official rules next season, so there is no dispute.

KOTRAX

robert meachem

Post by KOTRAX » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:55 am

Originally posted by Tamuscarecrow:
KOTRAX, the NFL rule states the offensive player becomes a defensive player upon a change of possession and reverts back to an offensive player if the offense gets the ball back during the same play. Therefore, in the eyes of the NFL rules, Meacham was in fact an offensive player when he scored and therefore giving points to the Saints D is not the correct answer.

The NFFC rules do not cover this and this situation has, in fact, never occurred in the NFFC as the last recorded time this occurred was 2003. So before you get on here blurting stupidities, get some facts.

For those who know me, you will have to excuse my tirade on this but it's money time and my tolerance for ignorance is short. I HAVE THE FACTS AND THAT IS WHY YOU DON'T AND WILL NOT GET THE POINTS.

WE ALL HAVE MONEY ON THE LINE HERE NOT JUST YOU RICK.

SO IF THAT IS THE CASE RICK WHO GETS CREDIT FOR THE STRIP OF THE BALL THAT MEACHEM CAUSED?

IF YOU SAY THE SAINTS DEFENSE YOU HAVE THE GIVE THE TOUCHDOWN ALSO.

edcnp

robert meachem

Post by edcnp » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:56 am

Below are the two areas in the rules that would cover this situation and i am not a lawyer(I am sure someone in this contest is) but the NFFC has in writing the following

"6 points for a recovered offensive fumble for a touchdown (RB, QB, WR, TE)"

So there is NO PLACE in writing that if the RB,QB,WR,TE TD does not count if change of possession occurred....so Meachem Must get the TD according to the rules we as players signed up under this contest.

6. Scoring: Players can accumulate points in a number of ways:
PASSING:
.05 points for every yard passing (works out to 1 point every 20 yards).
6 points for every passing touchdown
2 points for every 2-Point conversion
minus 1 point for every interception and lost fumble
RUSHING:
.10 points for every yard rushing (works out to 1 point every 10 yards).
6 points for every rushing TD
2 points for every 2-Point conversion
minus 1 point for every lost fumble
6 points for a recovered offensive fumble for a touchdown (RB, QB, WR, TE)

points for every touchdown (interception return, defensive fumble return, punt or kickoff return, blocked field goal return, blocked punt return). All special teams and defensive points are awarded to the team responsible, not the individual player. Should a kicker, punter or field goal holder throw a pass off a fake attempt, however, the offensive output for that offensive play would go towards the individual player, not the specials team. Also, any lost fumble or muff on a specials team play does not result in negative points for that individual player.

sportsbettingman

robert meachem

Post by sportsbettingman » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:05 am

The NFL rules really blur logic.

They seem to blend TEAM DEFENSE with a TEAM OFFENSE "acting in a defensive manner."

One is a position title, a job title...the other is an action.

TEAM DEFENSES "act in an offensive manner" and also are given credit for touchdowns following turnovers, yet according to their very own rules become "offensive players" upon picking up that fumble or interception, and thus the "defense" did in fact NOT score the TD.

Very poorly writen rule IMO.

A rule IMO that should NOT be used as a trump card when setting up fantasy rules, but rather something that should be ignored when looking to fine tune this rule for the future.
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver

RedRyder

robert meachem

Post by RedRyder » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:06 am

Originally posted by Old School:
quote:Originally posted by RedRyder:
quote:Originally posted by 4D:
Tom

[/QUOTE]Jules,

The WCOFF is simply not consistent it would seem.
They have never awarded individual players points for special teams/defense scoring (much to my chagrin in 2006 when Reggie Bush had a google of punt return TD's)

If they award 2 points to New Orleans defense, then they are stating that Meachem is part of the defense at that point. Hence, no individual points can be awarded. It would be awarded to team defense. How can you have a defense awarded for picking up the ball and not for carrying it in to the endzone?

Signed,
Confused
[/QUOTE]Dear Confused,

I am as confused as you are! But, I'm not here to fight the fight for any contest or how they rule things. I just thought it was interesting another high stakes contest had a different ruling. Interesting how some folks see the same thing with different eyes. Nor do I have an educated take on the matter...although if I were a Robert Meacham owner (GO VOLS!), I would certainly be looking at this harder.

I wonder if this TD (for the Saints or Meacham, depending on the contests you play) will effect any outcomes?

Signed,

Fencesitter
@RedRyder