NFFC Rules Proposals For 2012

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:14 am

Originally posted by Coltsfan:
I really hope that we keep everything pretty much the same except PPR across the board.

Wayne I appreciate all of the new suggestions for scoring in the NFFC, but we have a solid game right now where every championship is going down to a few points. We're really just looking to tweak our rules, not create a new game without any individual kickers or scoring that makes Defenses more valuable than QBs, etc. Again, I appreciate all of the thoughts, but I think we're okay there.

Agreed Wayne, the survey will likely contain the suggestions on the first post unless there's an overwhelming request for a few more. So far, I'm just seeing personal preferences.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

RoadKing

Post by RoadKing » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:49 am

I would like to see the defense rewarded for playing defense and not punished because the QB that plays on the same team throws a pick 6. Lets face it if you have the Bears defense and Cutler throws 2 int for pick sixes then the Bears defense just lost ground on points against. The defense should aquire some fantasy points for holding down the yards gained by the opposing team. I suggested this last year but it did not fly.

[ December 23, 2011, 12:50 PM: Message edited by: RoadKing ]

RoadKing

Post by RoadKing » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:53 am

I also agree with Coltsfan (should be 49erFan) and Greg that other than a couple of adjustments this contest is good "as is".

kentucky

Post by kentucky » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:43 am

I'll be one to add I like it "as is". I'm just throwing out an option I'd be in favor of.
bill cleavenger
"BIG BLUE NATION" ... We don't rebuild, we reload!!!

KenGill

Post by KenGill » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:46 am

My one suggestion would be this:

Under no circumstances should a team with a losing record be eligible for the playoffs. Once you get to 7 losses...you're done. I only remember one time in the past 30 years where a team with a losing record went to the NFL playoffs, that was last year's Seattle team. It should not happen in fantasy. 7 losses...OUT.
I never lost a game. I only ran out of time. Bobby Layne
Kid....if you're going to make it in this league, you're going to have to learn to drink. Bobby Layne

weber7777

Post by weber7777 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:53 am

- my only issue with these leagues:

i like head to head leagues.. makes it fun. so these leagues should be broken up 2 ways:

1. For the regular season, for watever leagues, leave it the way it is.. head to head gets a league prize, and most points get a prize, then take the next head to head person and pts person and do a 3 week total points playoff for the rest of the league money.

2. For championship rounds. after week 13. simply come up with a number of teams in the championship round day one (say 60). simply take the top 60 scoring teams and those are the teams in the chamionship round. the teams that score the most weeks through week 13 should get into championship round period.
Check out fantasy football blog

www.weberfantasyfootball.com

eliasond

Post by eliasond » Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:11 pm

I like the survey questions so far.

I would like to see a question to gauge the players' thoughts on playing in high stakes contests where other leagues in the same contest are drafting on other days or even other weekends. And by "high stakes" I mean more than $1,000 entry, so not the online championship.

Side thought -- I don't agree with a couple posts ago to eliminate teams with a losing record from the fantasy playoffs. Wins and losses in fantasy H2H have a lot more to do with luck than in the NFL.

In the 2009 Classic my team won my league total pts by 100+, also finished in 2nd place overall in the nation in points, yet went 5-8. We lost games by the likes of 162-161 and 155-154 all year. Why should a team like that be penalized for dumb luck? This year there wasn't a team in the top 30 overall in regular season pts with a losing record, so it doesn't happen very often, but when it does...
Daren E
NFFC Charter Member
3-Time Las Vegas Auction League Champion (2004,2009,2015)
2-time Live Las Vegas Classic League Champion

bill1car

Post by bill1car » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:45 am

My two cents.

Could we have a survey question about:

lowering QB TD passes to 5 pts or 4 pts.

a safety being worth 3 or 4 pts

should any fantasy position be penalized when not even on field (QB throws int for TD and it counts against D)

Other thoughts
In today's NFL, if a D gives up 9 points they have played a great game. Only 4 pts for that ? Also, a D that gives up 45 points gets the same scoring that a D does that gives up 18 points. I would change the D scoring to something like this:
shutout 15 pts
2-7 10 pts
8-12 6 pts
13-17 4 pts
18-22 2 pts
23-27 1 pt
27-37 0 pts
38-47 -1 pts
48+ -2 pts

On a TD pass we have no problem giving 6 to QB and WR. On a special team TD why not give 6 to special team and the player that scored? Player that scores is risking injury, losing offensive possession, and making a great play. They deserve something for it!

I would give a small deduction for missed field goals of 40 yards or less. Kicker A makes 2 30 yd FG's Kicker B makes 2 30 yd FG's and misses 3 30 yd FG's. They shold not have the same score. A big goal of fantasy scoring is to have players score better who have the better games. A kicker that misses FG's of short range should have a penalty.

When a D has a lot of 3 and outs with little yardage given up, they should get some credit for that. I like giving a small pt total for low yardage given up.

I enjoy the strategy of choosing the D and kicker to play. Surprised some are suggesting to combine or stop using D and kicker. The luck of choosing a K and D are often not much different than trying to choose your 3rd WR to start or flex position starter. Often, there is a real skill to choosing the right D and K to play in a given week.

I prefer -2 for lost fumbles and int. I want strong penalties for QB turnovers. Reason? QB's that avoid turnovers should be rewarded since it is such a crucial part of the game., Prefer -3 for INT's that are run back for TD's. Maybe compromise for NFFC is -1 for INT's but -2 for INT's retrurned for TD's

RB receptions 1/2 or 1. Lean toward 1/2. A RB that catches 4 or 5 short swing or screen passes is getting too much of a bump in scoring if they receive one pt per reception.
The NFL is getting so pass crazy I am questioning the 1 point per reception for WR and TE. The RB's that average about 20 carries a week but catch few passes are really losing their value. QB's keep throwing from inside the 3 yard line. I would probably prefer something like this: 1/2 pt per reception for all receptions and 4 pts for QB TD passes

I prefer the regular season payouts to be stronger. The top teams for 13 weeks need to be rewarded. Now the large majority of the money is paid out for weeks 14-16.