Playoff Handicapping - what do you think?

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:53 am

Originally posted by David Wooderson:
quote:Originally posted by TamuScarecrow:
I think we are doing a weekly prize, Dave, at least I know we did last year. Greg may have to find a sponsor for that as I think he was able to do last year.

As stated, the 13 weeks has meaning for the league prizes but for the playoff prizes, everyone should revert back to 0. Look at this year, the 43rd team starts with a 40 point disadvantage. Regardless of what you think of his team, every team in the championships should be given the same opportunity to win it, just like in the NFL, and it's safe to say that's not going to happen this year. Bottom line, players want their fantasy sports to emulate the real thing whenever possible. Yeah but Rick with all due respect, let me ask you this. If the Colts are the #1 seed and they play the Steelers in the second round, should the game be held at a neutral site? That's essentially what you are saying in that every team is given an opportunity to win in the NFL, so it should be the same here. That's not really the case though, as they reward the NFL team with the higher seeding home field. Thats what the starting with your average point rule is there for.

The Steelers would still have that same chance to win, but it would be tougher because they have to go on the road and do it, which in the NFL would be an advantage to the Colts. That is the same principle here.

I also respectfully disagree about fantasy sports needing to be as close to identical as the real thing. That's just not fathomable. Fantasy football is not even remotely close to anything in real football, thats why it exists.

To me it's not a dealbreaker either way. I personally like the weekly point avg because it takes into account 80% of your season. But if it wasnt there and everyone started with 0, it's not as if there should be a mass exodus from the NFFC.
[/QUOTE]This David guy, whose real name is Mike, ;) sure makes a lot of sense sometimes. See there is an advantage to performing well during the regular season in the NFL. Most people feel the home field is worth at least three points in the playoffs. So the question is: Is taking your weekly scoring average into the NFFC playoffs as good as home field advantage in the NFL? Is it too much? Or isn't it enough?

Very interesting thoughts across the board so far.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:57 am

the regular season certainly has to be counted in the playoffs. i'm fine with 1X, but could live with 1.5X or even 2X
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

TamuScarecrow

Post by TamuScarecrow » Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:11 am

Well then, Mike, I brought your exact idea of point average being the equivalent of homefield advantage up earlier in this thread and RC shot it down so I'll let you two duke it out.

As for your comment on fantasy sports not emulating the real thing, why is it that in every local league I've been in, the playoff system is the same as the NFL and I'll include the GEKKO II league in that scenario as well since its playoff system this year is the same as a divisional playoff? How much you can incorporate into this league is debatable but to say players don't want their fantasy sports to emulate the real thing is nuts. Why are there players on these boards screaming for roster changes and having 10 page debates over whether or not "FLEX" is a position? All I'm saying is the more of the real thing you can incorporate into the game the better.
2005 NY/CHI League Champ
2006 CHI#2 3rd Place
2006 Auction Reg Season Champ
2007 TAM#2 2nd Place
2007 Auction Reg Season Champ
2009 LV#5 League Champ
2010 Auction Reg Season Champ
2011 LV#3 2nd Place
2012 LV Classic League Champ

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:35 am

Originally posted by David Wooderson:

1.5 times I think is a good number.

I also think having a highest weekly score award might help with people quitting. Maybe not one per week, but the highest single weekly scoring team of the season wins a grand or something, might keep some more people playing and make it more interesting for teams who have had bad luck or injuries. Of course it might not matter to some tools like Moneymaker or whoever is running his team, and had Rudi Johnson parked on his bench for half the season. Does anyone know of a place that does this currently?? :rolleyes:

Here is to my 234 holding up 3 more weeks!! :D

David Wooderson

Post by David Wooderson » Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:46 am

Originally posted by TamuScarecrow:
Well then, Mike, I brought your exact idea of point average being the equivalent of homefield advantage up earlier in this thread and RC shot it down so I'll let you two duke it out. Hey I wasnt looking to duke it out with anyone, just chiming in on a good thread.

Originally posted by TamuScarecrow:
As for your comment on fantasy sports not emulating the real thing, why is it that in every local league I've been in, the playoff system is the same as the NFL and I'll include the GEKKO II league in that scenario as well since its playoff system this year is the same as a divisional playoff? How much you can incorporate into this league is debatable but to say players don't want their fantasy sports to emulate the real thing is nuts. Why are there players on these boards screaming for roster changes and having 10 page debates over whether or not "FLEX" is a position? All I'm saying is the more of the real thing you can incorporate into the game the better. Rick, I honestly cant comment on those leagues you are in because I dont know anything about them. I am assuming that you mean their playoffs are all like the NFL playoffs because you must play head to head.

I dont think anything I said is nuts. If you want to play realistic style games, they have those simulator games out there that are very realistic. What I was talking about, was the concept. Other than the object being to win your game, that is the only similarity between fantasy and real.

In the real NFL, Kurt Warner is a train wreck. In fantasy football this last month, he is one of the top quarterbacks....In the real NFL, you dont start 2 tailbacks. In fantasy, that is the core of your team.....In the real NFL, you dont win games because of how the losing team does in garbage time, in fantasy you do...In the real NFL, you dont beat someone 165-152! :D

Those are the things that I was referring to when I meant that comparing real and fantasy football are unrealistic. Now as far as format and playoffs, etc..yes that might emulate the real game, but how you play it, absolutely not.

David Wooderson

Post by David Wooderson » Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:47 am

Originally posted by BillyWaz:
quote:Originally posted by David Wooderson:

1.5 times I think is a good number.

I also think having a highest weekly score award might help with people quitting. Maybe not one per week, but the highest single weekly scoring team of the season wins a grand or something, might keep some more people playing and make it more interesting for teams who have had bad luck or injuries. Of course it might not matter to some tools like Moneymaker or whoever is running his team, and had Rudi Johnson parked on his bench for half the season. Does anyone know of a place that does this currently?? :rolleyes:

Here is to my 234 holding up 3 more weeks!! :D
[/QUOTE]HAHA!!! You should be the key lobbyist for that argument. I think your 234 is safe.

Route Collectors

Post by Route Collectors » Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:09 am

The real point for me is - what is fair? Guys are saying (including myself) that they like this or that without giving any real reason. For instance: if we don't give anything to the overall leader after 13 weeks then why do we take away the advantage it took them 13 weeks to get by only giving them a weekly average to start with.

I'll tell you why I think we do it - to give more people a fighting chance for a 3 week shootout because in reality if we didn't - MAYBE 3 people have a legit shot at winning.

So you essentially are using the regular season as a qualifier for this 3 week shootout. If this is the case then handicapping anything is hypocritical.

The same guys who want total points to be the ultimate tie breaker should be all over this one as it is a travesty to take away someones advantage that took 13 weeks to earn and give them virtually nothing in return. I'm telling you that 1X's is not enough of a reward for a great season. I don't know if 2x's is either. After all it's only 2/13ths of what the guy earned.

You can't have your cake and eat it too on this one. Either give the leader something good for his efforts and start from zero to keep it interesting and competitive in the playoffs or let the guy keep more of his hard earned advantage - say...50%.

I don't believe you can prove that any owner can gain that much by playing in a weaker league that docking 50% of their advantage wouldn't even out.

Here are my revised choices:
1)Eliminate advantage and give NICE prize to leader.
2)Roll over point totals into playoffs
3)Roll over 50% of point totals into playoffs

With any of these options Gekko still would've won last year. Amazing huh!

TamuScarecrow

Post by TamuScarecrow » Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:15 am

I agree with you on the concept part 100%, Mike.
2005 NY/CHI League Champ
2006 CHI#2 3rd Place
2007 TAM#2 2nd Place
2009 LV#5 League Champ
2011 LV#3 2nd Place

TamuScarecrow

Post by TamuScarecrow » Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:24 am

if we don't give anything to the overall leader after 13 weeks then why do we take away the advantage it took them 13 weeks to get by only giving them a weekly average to start with.The playoff season is separate from the regular season.

[/QUOTE]So you essentially are using the regular season as a qualifier for this 3 week shootout. If this is the case then handicapping anything is hypocritical.[/quote]

BINGO!!!!
2005 NY/CHI League Champ
2006 CHI#2 3rd Place
2007 TAM#2 2nd Place
2009 LV#5 League Champ
2011 LV#3 2nd Place

TamuScarecrow

Post by TamuScarecrow » Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:33 am

You can't have your cake and eat it too on this one. Either give the leader something good for his efforts and start from zero to keep it interesting and competitive in the playoffs or let the guy keep more of his hard earned advantage - say...50%.I know people are getting tired of my NFL analogies but why is the Super Bowl played on a neutral field? To put both teams regardless of regular season accomplishments on an even playing field for the championship. :rolleyes: I'm trying to figure out why people keep wanting to put the #1 scorer for 13 weeks on a pedestal? He won his league, he got the $5k, and now he's qualified to win the $100k. That's how this league is advertised so why does anyone feel compelled to pay the #1 scorer any more than that? Two years of discussions on league disparity hasn't sunk in yet?
2005 NY/CHI League Champ
2006 CHI#2 3rd Place
2007 TAM#2 2nd Place
2009 LV#5 League Champ
2011 LV#3 2nd Place