Would You Be In Favor Of Ranking Your Draft Spots?

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:32 am

The bottom line wuth all this IMO, is that blind bidding for slots adds MUCH more strategy to the game.

Do you spend a lot of you $$ on a good draft spot only tohave less $$ to bid on free agents, or vice-versa?

The point is if you are shelling out $1,250 to play in this contest, you SHOULDN'T be a "casual player", and the extra strategy makes it all that more inviting.

Top 3 RB's right now

1) L.TOmlinson
2) S.Alexander
3) E.James

Not surprisingly, these were the first 3 picks (or should have been) in most NFFC drafts.

I have always been one to give Gekko a hard time about you can win from any draft slot (and you can), but for $1,250 it WOULD be nice to have some control on where you bid.

Something else which I don't believe has been mentioned. If newbies don't like the system, THEN DON'T BID!!!! (let the chips fall where they may, as the way it is now, they do anyhow!) Yes, you will probably not get 1,2, or 3, but there are some people who like to draft at 12,13,14 rather than 8,9,10. The plus is that you WILL have more $$ to spend on free agents during the year!!!

Blind bidding gives the people who like it more control, and the people who don't like it, will have a slight advantage (more free agent $$) before the season begins!

Current system....

Player A gets a "good" pick and $1,000 (BIG ADVANTAGE)

Player B gets a "poor" pick and $1,000 (DISADVANTAGE)

Blind bidding system....

Player A gets a "good" pick but has less $$ for free agency

Player B gets a "poor" pick, but has as much (or more) $$ as anyone else for free agents.

You are making MORE people happy in the process!! I am personally tired of being Player B (you with me Diesel?), and I may not be in the "Main Event" next year due to not having ANY control over my spot, and oh yea.... because I am a teacher and don't make that much money!

Certainly not a threat, as Greg and Jeff run a first class operation, but I just want Renman and all the other naysayers to blind bidding to see there ARE people who have (or will) NOT continue to play due to the "random" selection that is currently in place. (probably as many as there who would be afraid to try something new).

Just my 2 cents!!!

[ October 11, 2005, 12:30 PM: Message edited by: BillyWaz ]

--------------------
Proud member of the "Antonio Bryant fan club"

[ October 11, 2005, 12:33 PM: Message edited by: BillyWaz ]

ultimatefs

Post by ultimatefs » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:41 am

Also, Kent Derby doesn't really solve anything. It's just another way to randomly give out picks. I've done these and many times, you see little change.

Using FAAB for draft slots is the PERFECT solution. If someone want LT that bad, let him pay for him. It's the PERFECT price to pay.

Most of us know it takes a TEAM to win these things and anyone at the top right now with LT drafted well in the later rounds too.

LT LV teams...
LV1 3-2 700.2 (I beat them last week lol)
LV2 4-1 615
LV3 5-0 814
LV4 2-3 538
LV5 3-2 705
LV6 5-0 773
LV7 4-1 719

As you can easily see, LT helps, but does not insure a great team.

LT's BYE is Week 10.
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:51 am

Originally posted by UFS:
quote:Originally posted by Route C:
One more quick point. Doesn't someone always have to take a chance to be on the "cutting edge" of anything?
Looking at this from a market angle - what if "another" event decides to market this as the only contest with this twist and it's successful.
Given the choice I'd rather have the authentic jersey rather than the reproduction.

The NFFC could come out of this labeled either a leader or follower in the industry - so maybe a step back would actually be a step forward. ;) 100% agree.

I'd target WCOFF owners. 12-team leagues are a joke.

I targeted CDM owners being nickled and dimed to death with target ads towards no trans fees.

Greg should post an ad showing WCOFF vs NFFC, 12 vs 14 final stats, and then the new way to eliminate the problem. (although 14 from last year shows NO problem)

This event could double.
[/QUOTE]Damn UFS, your post is getting me wet with "this event could double" talk! :D

I will find a way to get the funds to participate in the "main event" if blind bidding is adopted. If it isn't, I personally can't make any promises.

On a side note UFS, do you play CDM?? If so, what league are you in, and how are you doing?

[ October 11, 2005, 12:52 PM: Message edited by: BillyWaz ]

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:02 am

I'm with you Billy...I am definitely "player B"...lol...It is VERY frustrating getting double digit draft slots in every draft. I honestly don't know how I would feel if I had been pulling top 3 picks the last 2 years, but I do feel that the FA bidding would help.

In 6 NFFC drafts this year, I received double digit draft spots. In that spot, I can't say for sure how I would have done because of injuries, but if Burleson, DJax, Bruce, were healthy, but IMHO, I think my drafts would have been solid. So even with that double digit slot, I should have been in a good place right now. So I won't blame anything on the draft spot, but I will say that it would have been nice to have a shot at drafting from another side of the board at 1-4...Bidding FA$ would have made that happen. After 4 or 5 of these late round draft picks, I would just bid HIGH(like $400 or more) and guarantee that I have a very good draft spot in the last 2 leagues.

Probability resets itself every time, so there's nothing to say that if you've had #'s 12-14 in 20 drafts, that you won't get it again, and again and again...

[ October 11, 2005, 01:04 PM: Message edited by: Diesel ]
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

ultimatefs

Post by ultimatefs » Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:12 am

Originally posted by BillyWaz:

On a side note UFS, do you play CDM?? If so, what league are you in, and how are you doing? I Played baseball this year to support my good friend Charlie and finished #8 in my league.

In the playoff game, I'm #43 overall and #1 in my league. One entry that had players from LAA/CHW/STL/HOU. 4 for 4!

I didn't have to buy one player for the next round.

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:41 am

I play football and am 24th overall right now. I just got to keep this "gravy train running"!

With all the yards per throw, per catch, per run, it certainly makes it a lot more difficult on who to start each week.

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:45 am

Originally posted by Route C:
One more quick point. Doesn't someone always have to take a chance to be on the "cutting edge" of anything?
Looking at this from a market angle - what if "another" event decides to market this as the only contest with this twist and it's successful.

The NFFC could come out of this labeled either a leader or follower in the industry;) The best argument yet for doing it now rather than waiting a year. Pull the trigger!

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:14 am

Originally posted by KJ Duke:
quote:Originally posted by Route C:

The NFFC could come out of this labeled either a leader or follower in the industry;) The best argument yet for doing it now rather than waiting a year. Pull the trigger!
[/QUOTE]Someone get me a gun! :D I'll let you guys know later what I use it for! ;)

Honestly, there's a lot of truth to the posts today. The NFFC is unique with its 14-team format. If anyone is going to put an emphasis on draft spots, it probably should be a bigger league like the NFFC. Again, I see this concept having more merit in football than baseball.

John Zaleski is correct: Explained and promoted properly, this could be a positive for the NFFC. And there already exists a pool of established high-stakes fantasy football players who may want more control over their draft spots, thus those potential "newbies" are out there.

Still, it's a drastic change and one worth thinking through before doing anything. Now, where is that gun again? :D
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

ultimatefs

Post by ultimatefs » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:50 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:

John Zaleski is correct: Explained and promoted properly, this could be a positive for the NFFC. And there already exists a pool of established high-stakes fantasy football players who may want more control over their draft spots, thus those potential "newbies" are out there.

Still, it's a drastic change and one worth thinking through before doing anything. Now, where is that gun again? :D Can I get this in writing? Oops, just did!!!

Sorry, still high from the Angel game last night. There is nothing better in this world than seeing ARod ground into a DP in the 9th.

Just pound the crap out of it until they get it.

Print, online, the usual. But pound it.

There will be a point where after so much pounding, that it will be accepted as if we did this 20 years ago.

I don't watch the WCOFF boards, but as soon as ZMen and GG get banned, you'll know you have a great idea.

[ October 11, 2005, 02:51 PM: Message edited by: UFS ]

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:05 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
John Zaleski is correct: Explained and promoted properly, this could be a positive for the NFFC. And there already exists a pool of established high-stakes fantasy football players who may want more control over their draft spots, thus those potential "newbies" are out there. nothing i (or others) haven't been telling you since i threw the idea out last year.

wait till i get a TV thing going! then you'll really see my creative juices flowin!! muuhahahaha!!!

[ October 11, 2005, 03:10 PM: Message edited by: Gordon Gekko ]
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?