How would you feel?

Raiders

How would you feel?

Post by Raiders » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:30 am

Originally posted by da bears:
quote:Originally posted by BillyWaz:
I think offering a $$$ prize for EVERYONE in the highest scoring league in total points would help this in the Main events.

I know WCOFF does this, and it is actually one of the things I DO like about their contest. I like that idea also Billy. :cool:
[/QUOTE]How much do you think that really helps?

John

renman

How would you feel?

Post by renman » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:44 am

Originally posted by Bob Squad:
I am a hypocrite.

I roll my eyes every time a new bylaw is suggested and here I go suggesting one myself.

Here is how it could work:

1 - Weeks 11-13 (or whatever period was decided on) each owner has a total of one appeal
2 - The appeal must be made at least one weekday prior to the start of the first game of the week
3 - The appeal can only be for replacing a deadbeat owner's 'starter' who is known to be out on that week
4 - The NFFC would manually make the change prior to the first game
5 - If the 'deadbeat' owner comes back to life, he still has the opportunity to make a change
6 - If his change is to purposefully re-replace a player with one that is 'out', then a ban of some sort could apply at the NFFC's discretion
7 - If multiple owners appeal, the majority rules and a tie is broken by the first to appeal
8 - It would be nice if free agency could be a part of the solution but I cannot envision how that could work

I'm probably missing something that makes this a really bad idea but I thought I would throw it out there. :confused: :rolleyes:

Bob I am not saying this is the end all be all answer.. but it is interesting. What are peoples thoughts on this. Pros/cons?

This should only apply when an owner has a player in his starting lineup that is DEFINED AS OUT prior to that weekends games.

Every year we run into this where some owner bailed on the league and his quitting hurts the integrity of the competition. For year we have had this "well, there is nothing we can do, it is just the way it is" and I have to believe with todays technology and the smart fantasy minds in the NFFC and on this forum, that we can come up with a better solution than "it is what it is..."

This is a great topic to chat about and throw ideas up against the wall in case something sticks.

BONGIZMO

How would you feel?

Post by BONGIZMO » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:05 am

As someone that was cost money a few years back when my opponent contacted a team that had quit thus allowing him to come back to finally set his team against me after my said opponent had taken the easy win in a prior week, I feel absolutely nothing for you GG in this situation.

Back then on these boards I was greeted with it may be unethical but not illegal and it's part of the game. People pay their money and thusly can manage or mismanage their teams to their hearts content imo.

If it was acceptable for another owner to try and wake up a dormant team at my expense it surely has to be acceptable for an owner to play or not play whomever he wants whenever he wants.

I'm just saying...
Never do card tricks for the people you play poker with.

BillyWaz

How would you feel?

Post by BillyWaz » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:15 am

Originally posted by Raiders:
quote:Originally posted by da bears:
quote:Originally posted by BillyWaz:
I think offering a $$$ prize for EVERYONE in the highest scoring league in total points would help this in the Main events.

I know WCOFF does this, and it is actually one of the things I DO like about their contest. I like that idea also Billy. :cool:
[/QUOTE]How much do you think that really helps?

John
[/QUOTE]Not sure, but it certainly can't hurt to keep more leagues competitive. Sure, a little more out of FanBall's pockets, but to ensure most (if not all) people stay active?

A wise investment if you ask me. ;)

BONGIZMO

How would you feel?

Post by BONGIZMO » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:36 am

The highest league award does work, I have been in several where people stay with it with the idea of getting some of their investment back.

We'd all like to think people will not quit, enjoy playing spoiler, getting their money's worth or just staying on in the name of good sportsmanship but alas it doesn't happen in real life so it is naive to try and control it from happening in FF.

The easiest solution to any of the said issues is score lots of points YOURSELF, win as many games as possible YOURSELF by scoring so many points that what anyone else does has no bearing whatsoever.

bobsgym13

How would you feel?

Post by bobsgym13 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:37 am

Originally posted by BONGIZMO:
As someone that was cost money a few years back when my opponent contacted a team that had quit thus allowing him to come back to finally set his team against me after my said opponent had taken the easy win in a prior week, I feel absolutely nothing for you GG in this situation.

Back then on these boards I was greeted with it may be unethical but not illegal and it's part of the game. People pay their money and thusly can manage or mismanage their teams to their hearts content imo.

If it was acceptable for another owner to try and wake up a dormant team at my expense it surely has to be acceptable for an owner to play or not play whomever he wants whenever he wants.

I'm just saying... To have the nerve to take the easy win and then fix it - that's just wrong.
Luck in FF is like a game of Russian Roulette. The BWaz's of the world only have one bullet to spin - the rest of us have two. It's still mostly luck, but ...
-By Bob (For Gekko)

BONGIZMO

How would you feel?

Post by BONGIZMO » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:42 am

I found it very unsportsmanlike, however some people even lauded him for being so on top of things to contact the person. My issue was that smelled of collusion and to then come on these boards and proudly say what they did made me even more miffed lol.

I find it interesting that some of the people commenting about how wrong this would be now were some that thought what that owner did was just fine. Amazing what happens when the shoe is on the other foot sort to speak...karma perhaps?

BONGIZMO

How would you feel?

Post by BONGIZMO » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:52 am

I will say as a paying member I would be absolutely jacked if management went and adjusted my team because they thought it needed to be a certain way. I would expect they best contact me first since I payed my money and can do whatever I want with players.

Let me throw this out there. Let's say I am in a league with someone that has over the years been an SOB to me and others. Let's say that my team sucks, everyone gets hurt and I am out of the running for any money. I paid for my team and should be allowed to play it out anyway I choose. I can thus try to beat the owner when/if we play. I can hypothetically use all my free agent money to buy every available QB when his has an unfortunate injury which would be a blocking strategy. I could decide that my starters are tired and rest them for my backups. All of these things are legal, maybe not the best sportsmanship but we already know that's ok based on past rulings.

I should be allowed to do whatever it is that lets me enjoy my 'donation' that year even if it is just doing all I can to keep another owner from cashing in. ;)

Oh yes, I'm a nice guy with a long memory...some should think how they treat others cause you never know when pay back could come rotfl.

bobsgym13

How would you feel?

Post by bobsgym13 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:05 pm

The highest league award does work, I have been in several where people stay with it with the idea of getting some of their investment back.

We'd all like to think people will not quit, enjoy playing spoiler, getting their money's worth or just staying on in the name of good sportsmanship but alas it doesn't happen in real life so it is naive to try and control it from happening in FF.

The easiest solution to any of the said issues is score lots of points YOURSELF, win as many games as possible YOURSELF by scoring so many points that what anyone else does has no bearing whatsoever. Nobody is suggesting that we can keep it from happening. The question is what to do WHEN it does not IF it does.

I am proposing a simple way to use a very limited number of owner appeals (2-3 a season) to force the league to bench/replace players that are officially 'out' or on IR as of Wednesday at 12pm.

Going any farther (free agency, debating best lineup, etc.) would not be feasible.

Here is how it works:

Three owners appeal the league:
8am Tuesday - Team A appeals to have Team E bench Laurent Robinson - start Camarillo

10am Wednesday Team B appeals to have Team E bench L Robinson - start Bradley

11am Wednesday Team C Appeals to have Team E bench L Robinson - Start Bradley

If Team C had not appealed then Team A's appeal would have gone through. Majority rules and ties are broken by time stamp.

Bob
Luck in FF is like a game of Russian Roulette. The BWaz's of the world only have one bullet to spin - the rest of us have two. It's still mostly luck, but ...
-By Bob (For Gekko)

bald is beautiful

How would you feel?

Post by bald is beautiful » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:08 pm

Oh yes, I'm a nice guy with a long memory...some should think how they treat others cause you never know when pay back could come rotfl. Was there anything else I could get for you tonight, Mr. Bongizmo, sir? Wash your car perhaps? :D